LegacyGT.com

Please help me decide: audio options

dr_sharp

How to solve my ear problems:  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How to solve my ear problems:

• Buy stock subwoofer, install under passenger seat
    • Buy integrated signal processor and replace all speakers
    • Something else? Perhaps you have a stock subwoofer to donate to me?

So I've gone as long as I can while tolerating the stock audio system. I need something more. In the past, I had a car with 600WRMS going to a total of 4 full range/component infinity kappa speakers and another 150WRMS going to an infinity reference sub. Now I've been content with the sound in the car now, but I'm considering one of the two options in the poll:

1 Just buy a stock sub and put it under the passenger seat or

2 Go all out with a rockford 360 or similar device and replace all speakers + sub.

lol

Standard advice if contemplating buying Subaru's [under-seat] OEM sub: If you would be paying anything near dealer price (even from one of the discount online Subaru parts vendors), go aftermarket instead. If you can find one used (in good shape, with a complete harness), it might be worthwhile if the price is reasonable.

Otherwise, look at one of the aftermarket under-seat subs. Here are a few:

• JVC CS-BB2 (possibly discontinued, but you may find used)

Google around. You'll find reviews (even some from other Subaru owners).

As with the OEM sub, none of those are going to produce ultra-deep bass or rattle your windows. But several have a few added features over the OEM unit (e.g., higher power, remote volume control pod, RCA line-level inputs [line-level ins are handy if you decide to switch to an aftermarket HU -- in the same or a different car]).

When connecting to the speaker outs of an OEM HU, several of these subs do not have sound-activated amp power-on (like the OEM does), so you may want to add an extra "amp trigger" module to do that (there are several out there).

Also watch out for the space limitation under your seat. You might try fabricating a cardboard box mock-up to check whether a particular sub will fit while sliding the seat front and back. Remember to allow at least a little room above the speaker for the sound to get out (and for the seat cushion to drop when a passenger sits in it :) ).

For pictures and more info on Subaru's OEM sub and its T-harness, see my 'Stock HU Info' thread on NASIOC).

I would be afraid of the OEM sub. I blew out the factory sub in the rear deck lid twice, replaced under warranty once. That was when it was all factory stuff in the car, I replaced everything from headunit back and put an amplified bazooka tube in the back. Overall i'm very happy with the outcome.

Thanks for the links, SVX. That pretty much eliminates the stock subwoofer option. I lean heavily toward all aftermarket simply because I know I will want more than bass in the long run. I still may consider only an underseat sub along with the rest of the system though, so that helps a lot.

seagle, what do you mean by factory sub in rear decklid? I thought all of the factory subs were under the driver/passenger seat?

lol

seagle, what do you mean by factory sub in rear decklid? I thought all of the factory subs were under the driver/passenger seat?

He's talking about the sub that's part of the h/k system in 2009 and later (scroll to end of this post).

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I had actually forgotten about this thread. I went shopping for speakers today. I'm getting either a new set of Infinity Kappa series or a set of Boston Acoustics SR series. I bought all of the wiring I need today... I can't believe how much the power wiring kits cost... $100+ at best buy. I just went to lowes and spent $20 on 20-ft of 4 ga. wire and I'm going to reuse my old distribution block and fuse block. I'm also going to try to use my old JBL amps... they were phenominal with my old kappa's so we'll see if time has taken its toll on them. They have high level inputs so I'm going to go that route for awhile. I know its not ideal but I'm certain it will be better than stock. I'll wait a few months before deciding on which processor to select.
lol

Wiring is very expensive , i ended up buying used amp wiring (0/1 gauge Knuconcepts). Dr Sharp- High level inputs you lose alot of clarity and makes it sound tinny. Maybe be worth it for awhile

Archived