LegacyGT.com

Control bushings?

So ive been emailing my local Jdm importer about wrx struts, because my car needs shocks, and i dont understand suspension.

He recommends that i change

If you replace (1) front controll arm bushings

(2) Lateral arm bushings

(3) trilling arm bushungs first

and go with oem struts or wrx although he says there not necessary. and he said that the polyurethane bushings are a bad idea.

im wondering if any of you guys have done the bushings, lately my car has been feeling kind of bottomed out, if i roll down the driveway and the front goes off the curb it feels like my front left tire has no spring left.

im at 83,000 miles and im sure the suspension is 100% stock. I really want to restore some smoothness to my ride and im interested in coilovers for adjustable ride height

the worst thing is that in the last month my car is making some creaking noises when driving :(

No no no, you have to. you also HAVE to get a 40 point roll cage. this when stiffen the car so the car dont flex, only the shocks do the work. Also you NEED group N everything. Only like 1500 though. and like 5k for the cage but its cool right?

These are his words and not mine:

HI

If you replace (1) front controll arm bushings

(2) Lateral arm bushings

(3) trilling arm bushungs first

You can feel that a car runs very smoothly. Most people won't change because of nothing has changed visually.

But if you don't replace these bushings, all expensive performance parts ( coil-over suspensions ,high-performance tires and light weight wheels) will be waste money.

I know to install performance parts are exciting. But the joint parts are more important ( The urethane bushings are completely wrong parts for any cars. Totally waste .)

Also the struts are already worn out . The springs won't fatigue so soon. When damping and rebound don't work properly, the springs work easy and more harder like the bed with spring but no cushion .You feel bumpy.

If you keep driving as non-modified daily basis car, I recommend to replace (1),(2),(3) ,OEM struts with OEM upper mounts ( or WRX struts if you like ) and new tires.

the bushings arent expensive and from what im reading seem to be a good a idea in replacing? why are you guys so against it?

Got this from ehow, if im putting even 600$ into struts and coilovers i would put the 150$ into the bushings,

1. Deterioration of the Control Arm Bushing
  2. When the bushings deteriorate, they affect alignment and vehicle handling. Wheel alignments are set in minor degrees, and it doesn't take much to position the tire at an awkward angle. All suspension components work in unison to position the tire as flat and straight onto the road as possible. A worn control arm bushing affects the camber angle of the tire. Camber is the vertical angle of the tire. When this is compromised, the tire cannot hit the road flatly. It's angled slightly enough to begin to wear the edge of the tire that contacts the road first. This not only causes excessive premature tire wear, it affects the way the vehicle steers. It may pull slightly or aggressively, depending on the severity of the bushing wear, to one side.

Worn bushings also allow metal-to-metal contact that they're intended to buffer when going over bumps. The suspension being compromised also affects the manageability of the vehicle when stress is placed on it.

i think the creaking i am getting is metal on metal contact, im thinking from a worn out bushing, also my car pulls to the right a little.

more what to replace them with, and if theres any place online anyone would recommend because im not finding any parts locally.

and im not sure what i need exactly,

Struts?

springs?

and apparently maybe the bushings, but is that all I need?

if i try to swap some of this over do I need to

since i dont know the lingo you could be speaking german

im gonna post what i've found and just let me know if its what i should be looking for.

kyb strut set

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KYB-GR-2-GR2-STRUTS-SHOCKS-SUBARU-LEGACY-4WD-95-99-/120552048005?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c11764585

springs

http://cgi.ebay.ca/H-R-SPORT-SPRINGS-90-98-SUBARU-LEGACY-AWD-29868-/180492169758?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a062bf21e|

im not looking for a significant drop in ride height because my bumper is held on by a few clips and a few zip ties and i dont want to rub it on anything.. (at the momment almost bottoming out over big speed bumps)

thanks baddog thats what im noticing, my car slips on corners, its definately got to do with my bad tires but im looking to get new tires and new suspension and get my car back to its glory days

you cant put tires off forever though, but you will know when its time lol.

it looks like going for wrx struts over legacy ones will be 100 - 150 more?

is there benifit to them?

Or is a trade-off the wrx struts being better for cornering, and the legacy for ride quality?

Coming from the stock suspension the ride height for me looks like it dropped a bit. Cornering is much better but when you go over bumps such as pot holes, you really seem to feel it much more then before. I paid a total of 150 for used WRX struts + springs.

Tires still have around 60% tread on them it's just that 300 for tires isn't the best for the type of cornering I like to do.

thats fair,

right now im on stock struts and springs and feeling every bump aswell

wish i could test drive your legacy to feel the difference,

i do hit corners pretty quick, love my car for that reason so the wrx struts might be something i would do

thats fair,

right now im on stock struts and springs and feeling every bump aswell

wish i could test drive your legacy to feel the difference,

i do hit corners pretty quick, love my car for that reason so the wrx struts might be something i would do

Yeah now my next step is to get the 18mm rear sway bar when I can one from an outback. Then strut bracers.

from hearing what you want to do and how you want it to feel, im HIGHLY recommending the gr2, h&r combo, although you can find the h&r springs on ebay for like 150 shipped, $130 shipping is ridiculous

that combo is what im running and i drive and corner pretty hard, auto and rallyx, i dropped about 2" and i havent had any problems with clearance..

ive been able to navigate thru some crazy roads without scraping so i think you'll be fine,

since i dont know the lingo you could be speaking german

im gonna post what i've found and just let me know if its what i should be looking for.

kyb strut set

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KYB-GR-2-GR2-STRUTS-SHOCKS-SUBARU-LEGACY-4WD-95-99-/120552048005?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c11764585

springs

http://cgi.ebay.ca/H-R-SPORT-SPRINGS-90-98-SUBARU-LEGACY-AWD-29868-/180492169758?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a062bf21e|

im not looking for a significant drop in ride height because my bumper is held on by a few clips and a few zip ties and i dont want to rub it on anything.. (at the momment almost bottoming out over big speed bumps)

thanks baddog thats what im noticing, my car slips on corners, its definately got to do with my bad tires but im looking to get new tires and new suspension and get my car back to its glory days

THIS. you can find the H&Rs for cheaper on ebay, I paid a hair north of $500 for gr-2 and h&r as a full set. what a difference, my legacy is back. no more wallowing, crazy bouncing, bumping, and feeling every damn thing in the road. feedback has been reduced, but wanted feedback has gone up, which I've loved more than anything. I have around an inch drop, and haven't bottomed out yet. obviously be careful going over things, but you should be fine. handling has probably been increased too due to the lowering of the center of gravity; at the limit it's the tires fault, not the suspension, that loses the grip. love it :wub:

from your guys endorsements, that's probably what im going to do! I wish i could find some local lightly used stuff for cheap but not having luck

so ill probably go with what i picked out, but ill look harder for the best deal i can get.

^^ bingo zues. I don't even need spacers, glad the rears didn't have any saggy buttness. still have to get pics up, but thanks for steering me that direction!

bass, you can get the h&rs for 250 and the kybs for 266.13 on ebay, both including shipping. keep looking, it's bound to be there!

I just picked up 04 sti struts and top hats, trying to figure pout what springs to run. anyone here running sti stuff? pics? i don't want a huge drop as i drive gravel roads a fair ammount. but 1-1.5" woukd be good.

Archived