LegacyGT.com

what is needed to tune an 05 LGT?

blinger

I'm a long time honda guy, so excuse the noob questions but i'm just wondering what all i'll need to do to get a basic tune on a LGT.. The previous owner put an intake on it and I doubt it was retuned. On honda's all we would need to do is chip the ECU and run some tuning software..

Laptop, Tactrix cable, and a good base tune. The romraider site was a wealth of info for me.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

You can either:

1. Tune the car stock, and that will yeild some noticeable gains. (Stage 1)

2. Get a downpipe, and catless uppipe and tune for even more noticeable gains (a good 50-60whp) (Stage 2)

3. From there you can also get a catback exhaust/top mount intercooler/headers and retune the car from there. (Stage "2.5")

Stage 2 is the most noticeable one, personally I jumped from stock to stage 2 and it was BIG. When I got the stage 2 me and a buddy jumped on the high way and I hit it to merge into traffic and his expression was just "wow."

And there are more upgrades from there. There are people who tune them, such as infamous1, who is a member on these forums.

what stage would an intake and invidia cat-less up-pipe be considered? also what type of gains would be achieved with such a setup? The car did have a catless down pipe and full exhaust before I bought it but now has a stock DP and exhaust system.

soo what type of gains and what type of tune would I be looking for for an SPT intake and Invidia cat-less UP?

SPT's Legacy intake is no good. Cobb had a 'white paper' on their site detail their findings. Basically, since it puts the MAF sensor in the middle of a zig-zag, the sensor doesn't provide consistent readings, so you can't get consistent AFRs.

Intakes make a negligible difference in power output.

up-pipe + down-pipe = "stage 2" = about 25% more power than stock. The up-pipe and down-pipe make similar improvements, it makes more sense to do both than just one IMO.

I wanted to do a similar thing. Install a K&N short ram intake (I got it with the car when I bought it, but not installed) and get a de-catted up-pipe (possible from the STi?). Would I need to do substantial tuning?

Anything that gets you more power needs tuning, so yes.

If you're going to swap the up-pipe, you should do the down-pipe as well. The additional labor is tiny, since the down-pipe will be removed to swap the up-pipe. You'll gain even more power that way (same increase as the up-pipe, roughly).

Archived