LegacyGT.com

6MT Drain plug- Not T-70 Torx?

I just went to change my Spec B Tranny fluid expecting to find the main drain plug with a T70 hole in it. Instead I found a 21 MM Hex head. Is that unusual? Also I removed the 14mm oil pan plug first and let it drain while I was looking for (and couldn't find) the new T70 I bouught a few weeks ago. By the time I realized I could use the 21mm socket and removed it, only a little oil came out of the main plug. (The car had been sitting overnight.) Should I be concerned?

On my 08 spec B, there were two drain plugs for the tranny fluid, one was the 14mm bolt, but the main one was indeed the T70 torx - that is where the vast majority of the fluid came out of. I've done the job twice at this point and have a clear memory of it. Like I said though, mine is an 08. I didn't think there were any differences between the years, but I could be wrong...

I was quite surprised to find that I didn't need the T70. All I can think of is the fact that mine is a preproduction 2007. (It belonged to Subaru. I bought it with 6000 miles and had to sign an acknowledgement.) I undid the 14 mm bolt first and drained it for at least an hour before opening the 21 mm bolt. Maybe that's why very little came out of there. Also, mine read full after only 4 1/2 quarts— not 5.1.

My 21mm bolt looked like the attached schematic.

6MT.jpg.0bdc38e3066f5b4a94dd33194ad255b9.jpg

• 1 year later...
old thread revival. Manual calls for 4.3 Qts. I understand that tranny and front diff. share the same casing so that 4.3 Qts is for both right? Just had my tranny fluid changed and it seems to be little to high. What's the tolerance here, if any and should I check it while idling ? That's what you do for AT but it doesn't sound right for 6MT. I was told to check it at idle ...sounds odd. Pretty much the same level anyway

the transmission on the 6mt has 2 drains bolts but only 1 fill (the dipstick hole). and yes mine didnt take a t70 either (09 spec B). i ended up putting 4L of 75w90 in the tranmission and 1L in the rear diff.

• 1 year later...
yeh, so 32103aa012 is NOT a T70, star shaped, female drain plug. Size, fitment is the same, comes with magnet, all good except it's regular hex type male bolt, just as stated in post #3. hex is probably more practical and less prone to stripping (?) but I ordered whatever my vin# calls for. We will see what comes on Friday. Obviously with subaru parts depertment vast knowledge of these cars it took me 5 minutes to convince them that there are indeed 2 drain plugs and another 10 for them to look it up in the computer.

FWIW, the 5mt drain plug is a 60 torx.

I used the same T60 to remove the front diff drain plug on the Spec B yesterday. The tranny drain plug on the pan is a 10mm hex.

The R180 rear diff plugs are a 17mm socket.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The tranny drain plug on the pan is a 10mm hex.

yes, on newer cars. Somewhere mid 08 production, subaru has changed tranny pan and bolts so some 08 (like mine) and older will still have regular 14mm in the pan. Here's official note from Subaru:

"The style of the six-speed manual transmission oil drain plug has changed from a male hex head to a female hex (Allen style), along with the size of the hole in the oil pan assembly. The torque specification for the new plug has also been changed to 11.2 ft.-lbs. (50 Nm).

Affected vehicles include 2008 and later Legacy Spec-B and 2008 and later Impreza STI.

The new style oil pan and drain plug was used in production starting in November 2007 with VIN 83215575 for Legacy and 8L813536 for Impreza.

There is no interchangeability between the old and new versions."

Also I have finally received the right T70 female drain plug, part #:

32103AA080

Archived