LegacyGT.com

Fuel usage in subaru legacy 1989

What should be a normal and whats abnormal fuel usage on my beloved subaru legacy 1989?

i have put around 16 litres= 4 gallons yesterday did around 60 km= around 37 miles noticed the gauge needle diving towards red now.

i have changed spark plugs and put new cables and changed engine oil a day before.

is this normal usage or there is something wrong with it??

9 MPG is horrible for a Legacy, something must be wrong.

Brand new they got about 18-22 MPG on average, with most people reporting between 22 and 26 MPG (I'd say).

Change the transmission fluid if its an auto, as well as the air filter. Adding some fuel injector cleaner can help too. Check the brake calipers and make sure none are stuck. If the brakes calipers aren't releasing like they should it will kill your mileage. Also check the timing belt. If the timing has slipped mileage will take a huge dive and performance will drop off the charts. Pretty much go through the owners manual and do all the maintenance items in the book to improve fuel economy and performance.

I have an auto and mine used to get 21 mpg for a while, but now lately it's been getting 25. I have no idea why. I haven't changed where I buy gas. Always the same station. Haven't changed my driving habits or locations. I'm just getting higher mileage. It's weird.

Also try your pcv valve. It's always a good part to change cause it's right up to and like $4 and sometimes it'll help with mpg.

mine is manual transmission . i haven't had much experience with Subaru and i really don't know much about therm i am just bit puzzled it started using so much.

would you guys recommend a computer reset??

WHERE ABOUT IS PCV VALVE LOCATED ON THE CAR??

I get 25 to 26 in my '93 wagon with the check engine light on.

I know for a fact that the place I normally buy gas doesn't have any ethanol.

Last tank I was out of my area, and got gas at a place with a " may contain up to 10% ethanol" on the pump and my mileage dropped to 23.5mpg. Thats a 7.84% drop.

But 9mpg, some thing is wrong!

Archived