LegacyGT.com

Best suspension setup money can buy!

08LGT80

cuz i have shit load of money i wanna burn from my IT job... hehehe! :icon_tong strictly jdm and best shit goes into everything i do!

Haha.. dumba$$.

I was in that exact same boat. Had a bunch of stock options from my IT job in oil and gas..

If you haven't yet, pay off all your debts before you start to bling out your pad, your car, etc.

I know a few people that bought toys instead of paying off their debts and when they ran out of disposable $$, they wish they paid off their house esp.

Have fun though!

you don't need the best to be the best in driving.

True that. When I started out I had a stock SVX that I tracked. Then a $500 automatic 96 Impreza L that eventually was converted to a fully caged race car. Still only spent about $4k on it including all the race/safety equipment.

It's actually better to learn on a stock or near stock car you actually learn instead areas that need improvement being masked by good equipment.

-mike

Nonsense if people saved and didn't spend like crazy then our economy would shrink. Oh wait...

OP: I have a lot of the stuff you're thinking about getting. KWs, Sways, Bushings, kits for this and that... A lot of it is overrated. Springs and tires was the happiest I've been actually. I never raced though, and I didn't enjoy feeling every bump. If you really do your research into different setups, you will actually be able to get it right the first time. I'm in the process of actually softening up my ride a little. Turns out you can have pretty nice grip and still have stock-like comfort :) Unless you continuously want to be reminded of what your car could do, then go nuts and bump up GDP. These personal saving rate increases are hopefully only temporary anyways.

If you have a lot of money and want to spend it, why don't you just finance a Nissan GT-R?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Nonsense if people saved and didn't spend like crazy then our economy would shrink. Oh wait...

OP: I have a lot of the stuff you're thinking about getting. KWs, Sways, Bushings, kits for this and that... A lot of it is overrated. Springs and tires was the happiest I've been actually. I never raced though, and I didn't enjoy feeling every bump. If you really do your research into different setups, you will actually be able to get it right the first time. I'm in the process of actually softening up my ride a little. Turns out you can have pretty nice grip and still have stock-like comfort :) Unless you continuously want to be reminded of what your car could do, then go nuts and bump up GDP. These personal saving rate increases are hopefully only temporary anyways.

If you have a lot of money and want to spend it, why don't you just finance a Nissan GT-R?

What is GDP? Nissan GTR has too much power for me.. I like handling more than power.

What is GDP? Nissan GTR has too much power for me.. I like handling more than power.

GDP = Gross Domestic Product = the measure of a nations economic production or output. It is the main measure of a nation's success in the global arena. Consumer spending is the largest portion of what is measured to calculate GDP. If people don't buy stuff, then the factories and salesmen and service people and engineers and tons more people, everyone involved as a whole has to cut back, as they all make less money when you don't buy stuff. For example, when GDP contracts, many people such as IT workers are no longer needed, and they get fired. When GDP grows, people spend a lot on IT workers, and you make a lot of money. You might want to consider following it. What were you doing in 2001?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Financial advice on a car forum..........thanks dad.

Now go and buy some Bilstein coilovers and be done with it!!

Sarcasm much?

2 of my friends run KW coilovers on their STI and Evo 9. At a recent autocross, the STI got 3rd place overall and 1st in class. The Evo got 5th place overall. They perform well and ride decent on the street. I think Colin Fiedler won SCCA nationals with his STI running KW coilovers last season.

When I decided on my Bilstein/pinks setup years ago, the KW's were not available for our cars. If I decide to run a stiffer suspension, I'm pretty sure I'll go with KW's for my car. You might be able to source out a custom suspension, but aside from a pro driver on race compound tires, I don't think you would see a whole lot of difference, especially if you don't have the know-how to set up a completely adjustable race suspension.

If I could do it over again, I would probably get a different car than the LGT to turn into a track car. :lol: The aftermarket support for STI's, Evos, and S2000's is so much more comprehensive. But with what's available, I've been very happy with the car and its capabilities.

My KWs leave a little to be desired in corners IMO, but the trade for a bearable ride is nice. But all I can give you is my opinion, and it's not what you are hoping for.

Alright I'll bite: For you I would suggest Tein Flex coilovers. More stiff, very good for the track, has an option for a cool aftermarket box that adjusts your dampening inside the car yo. That sounds like it would be perfect for you. I have never driven on them btw. Oh and I think they have that camber adjustment feature when you pop the hood for people who want to check out your engine bay. Looks way cooler than KWs from the top. You wouldn't even notice KWs when popping the hood.

Remember you need to have your car corner balanced after installing coilovers. I got one quote in MA for $600, but that was a Porsche shop so maybe you can find a JDM race shop or something. I never got corner balanced but I'm unique in that I don't really care about my corner balancing. You should get it done though because otherwise you may be losing valuable traction on the track.

My KWs leave a little to be desired in corners IMO, but the trade for a bearable ride is nice. But all I can give you is my opinion, and it's not what you are hoping for.

Alright I'll bite: For you I would suggest Tein Flex coilovers. More stiff, very good for the track, has an option for a cool aftermarket box that adjusts your dampening inside the car yo. That sounds like it would be perfect for you. I have never driven on them btw. Oh and I think they have that camber adjustment feature when you pop the hood for people who want to check out your engine bay. Looks way cooler than KWs from the top. You wouldn't even notice KWs when popping the hood.

Remember you need to have your car corner balanced after installing coilovers. I got one quote in MA for $600, but that was a Porsche shop so maybe you can find a JDM race shop or something. I never got corner balanced but I'm unique in that I don't really care about my corner balancing. You should get it done though because otherwise you may be losing valuable traction on the track.

Do you think that if I just purchase the KW coilovers and take it to PDX tuning, they can do the cornering balanced for me? Are the tein flex coilovers more stiff than the KWs?

2 of my friends run KW coilovers on their STI and Evo 9. At a recent autocross, the STI got 3rd place overall and 1st in class. The Evo got 5th place overall. They perform well and ride decent on the street. I think Colin Fiedler won SCCA nationals with his STI running KW coilovers last season.

When I decided on my Bilstein/pinks setup years ago, the KW's were not available for our cars. If I decide to run a stiffer suspension, I'm pretty sure I'll go with KW's for my car. You might be able to source out a custom suspension, but aside from a pro driver on race compound tires, I don't think you would see a whole lot of difference, especially if you don't have the know-how to set up a completely adjustable race suspension.

If I could do it over again, I would probably get a different car than the LGT to turn into a track car. :lol: The aftermarket support for STI's, Evos, and S2000's is so much more comprehensive. But with what's available, I've been very happy with the car and its capabilities.

I got the LGT because it is a nice blend of sport and luxury. Although it is underpowered, that could be easily rectified w/ some mods. I love the quality of materials in the car. And I think it looks very nice without being too aggressive.

We've seen the KWs starting to fail in terms of their build quality lately. The "Stainless Steel" is rusting in the nothern states and the brackets on several have needed to be re-attached to the strut bodies on the KWs. I always held KWs in pretty high regard but they are coilovers and on a DD you will have failures like that...

Something to consider.

-mike

I think I'm gonna get the super street damper! It's got everything I'm looking for.. compression and rebound dampening adjustability, and ride height adjustability! Anyone on lgt.com have these on or have experience with them?

We've seen the KWs starting to fail in terms of their build quality lately. The "Stainless Steel" is rusting in the nothern states and the brackets on several have needed to be re-attached to the strut bodies on the KWs. I always held KWs in pretty high regard but they are coilovers and on a DD you will have failures like that...

Something to consider.

-mike

That is interesting. I have one of the first batch of KWs on my car, maybe 4 years now. I have had my rear toe bolts completely seize and need to be cut off, a few other bolts underneath are rusted to oblivion, goes w/o saying that OEM end-links were rusted too bad to even come off after about 1 year. I probably have one of the harshest climates around for cars, but my 4 year old KWs look like new (springs look like crap though).

I don't the SS is available for the USDM Legacy. AFAIK, only things Tein offers for 05-09 fitment is Comfort Sport, Flex, and Basics.

Are u sure it's not available for USDM Legacies? What is AFAIK?

That is interesting. I have one of the first batch of KWs on my car, maybe 4 years now. I have had my rear toe bolts completely seize and need to be cut off, a few other bolts underneath are rusted to oblivion, goes w/o saying that OEM end-links were rusted too bad to even come off after about 1 year. I probably have one of the harshest climates around for cars, but my 4 year old KWs look like new (springs look like crap though).

Just what we've been seeing come through, maybe the newer (1-2 year old ones) came through with a bad batch of coatings? I do like the KWs myself as a strut but have been let down with the build quality we've seen on some used setups we've seen come through our shop.

-mike

Archived