LegacyGT.com

Seeking road noise of P-Zero Neros compared to stock

JohnSoPA

IMHO, one of the few good traits of the RE92's on the '05 GTs is low road noise.

For those of you on stock size Nero M&S tires, how does the road noise compare to the RE92's on good asphalt, noisy asphalt and concrete?

How about ride quality?

Thanks!

John

The P-Zero Nero M&S, or the P-Zero Nero?

on a 2.5i,

The M&S are comparable, in the 16" size; not louder, not quieter, but about the same. Ride quality is essentially equal. If I didn't do it myself, I wouldn't know that I changed tires. I'm relying on what's been written here that in an emergency situation I'll be better off, and the treadwear rating is more than double for the M&S Zero Neros.

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

I have them. The noise level is about the same as stock. HOWEVER, when these tires are cold from sitting in low temps they can flat-spot. It is due to their full nylon cap. It goes away after a few miles of warming up. It's a little louder then and it feels like you're going over tiny speed bumps. I didn't know that one when I bought in January. :mad:

Thanks Jim. Pirellis are pretty well known for flat-spotting in the M3 and Porsche world. That's one reason I was a bit hesitant of getting the Nero M&S tires. I hated the original P-Zeros because of this and always went with MXX3s (in the "old days") or Pilot Sport (more recently) over something like P-Zeros. For my old 993, I parked on top of some of those rubber squares and that prevented one night of cold flat spotting, but usually not more than that.

The re92 is designed to be nice and quiet with a cushy ride. I would say the pzero’s are slightly louder and slightly stiffer. The car is still quiet with a great ride though. The major improvements in braking, handling, and road feel are definitely worth it.

For me, the P Zero Nero M&S were just as quiet.

It would take a VERY sensitive decibel meter to measure

the noise difference.

As for ride, the P Zero Nero's are a bit more firm, but they

fit the LGT perfectly. These are the tires that SHOULD come

from the factory....or at least be a factory upgraded option for

those who wanted proper tires on our sport sedans!

Would absolutely never think of going back to the RE-92's

I put on pzero nero and have noticed steering wheel vibration at about 70mph. I double checked the balancing at the tire place and the dealer couldn't find any other reason. Any chance it's the tread design?

I put on pzero nero and have noticed steering wheel vibration at about 70mph. I double checked the balancing at the tire place and the dealer couldn't find any other reason. Any chance it's the tread design?

I think the tread design may be to blame for the reports of tramlining, but I don’t think it would cause vibrations. I’ve gone much faster than 70 on mine without any problem.

• 2 weeks later...
The flat spotting I'm having with the pirellis are from sitting overnight in the cold especially when you're in sub-zero weather. Because they have a full nylon cap the part that sits on the ground adapts to that shape. It goes away once the tires warm up but until that point if feels like you're going over tiny speedbumps. It's annoying. I dealt with it all winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced the RE92's after one of them blew up on me (big nail) after 4000 miles (anybody interested in the remaining 3 RE92s?). I replaced them with the P-Nero's and I like them a lot. I think they are a bit quieter actually, but the flat spotting is definitely there. They also look better.

Tramlining is definitely an issue. It's actually quite scary when you drive over a patch of concrete highway with those grooves in the direction of travel.

With respect to vibration in the steering wheel: I've had a slight, irritating vibration in the steering wheel right out of the dealership :mad: :mad: . It's there between 70 and 85 mph and they've balanced the heck out of it. The four new tires + Hunter rebalance didn't improve things. Anybody else have this problem? Ideas about what else could cause this?

flat spotting is definitely there.

Tramlining is definitely an issue.

With respect to vibration in the steering wheel: I've had a slight, irritating vibration in the steering wheel right out of the dealership :mad: :mad: . It's there between 70 and 85 mph and they've balanced the heck out of it. The four new tires + Hunter rebalance didn't improve things. Anybody else have this problem? Ideas about what else could cause this?

Have your lugs been tightened properly (correct order and torque)? I had some tramlining on the pzero’s at first, but after a few hundred miles it went away. I haven’t noticed any flatspotting, but my car is parked in a garage. What air pressures are you running?

Archived