LegacyGT.com

Speedometer Jumped

I was cruising at about 80 mph and happened to be looking at the tach when I noticed the speedo briefly jump from 80 to ~65 and back to 80. This all happened in a split second. I kept watching to see if it happened again but didn't see it happen. I don't know if it's happened before. My 05 Legacy GT has 603 miles on it.

Should I be worried? Is it worth taking it in over this?

Thanks...

Hmm sounds a bit on the strange side of things. Just keep an eye on it but if its only happened once, it might have been a clitch that has now disappeared. If you continue to see this, just ring your SA and talk to them over the phone about it but I would say they will ask you to come in.

Let us know the progress.

Adam.

• 6 months later...
hmm, so there is a post like this. driving home today from work, going about 75 mph, but instead of my speedo, my tach dropped from a little above 3000 rpms to right about 2000 rpms and right back to the 3000, all in a split second. i saw this before out of the corner of my eye, but i thought it was just me seeing things. happend about twice several months back. today, i actually saw it cause i wanted to see how fast i was travelling. odd, hope its nothing too serious. :icon_neut

• 7 years later...

Grave digger...

Similar issue as mentioned above, but much more drastic.

I noticed it today while driving to work. It would bounce around for a bit, then stabilize for a while, then bounce around for a bit, then stabilize... now it just sits at 0 mph most of the time and will very occasionally decide to function.

Went hooning in the snow yesterday, and we had absolutely frigid temps overnight afterwards. I knocked out as much ice and snow as I could, but this morning there was some intense vibrations through the steering wheel. Pulled over, cleared out all the remaining snow/ice, and the vibration was fixed. I'm thinking that maybe one of the wheel speed sensors is malfunctioning?

http://flickr.com/gp/c_harrison/3D77J7

'03 Forester X 5mt - Engine Seized at 262k miles.

'05 LGT Wagon 6mt -MotoIQ.com Project Vehicle

'13 VW Touareg TDI - Daily Torque Monster.

It may have fixed itself, it wasn't doing it when I went out tonight, but it was doing it all day. Strange.

FWIW, I did find the TSB fix for the 'Er SP' code on the odometer. I haven't done this yet, but if the problem resurfaces I may just resort to it.

Link to TSB,

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/baddad1/2009-09-16_184059_05TPMSbulletin.pdf

Issue came back, went ahead and did the TSB fix. The TPMS plug was actually melted and covered in corrosion! The sheathing on a blue wire had turned brown as it entered the plug. Problem seems to be fixed now.

Archived