LegacyGT.com

Best Aux in mod for 05 LGT?

speedworld

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt go this way cause I have the kenwood factory stereo (not macintosh) even though it does still have the 20pin aux in plug on the back.

I just come up with this solution (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ipod-legacy-factory-stereo-138519.html?p=2965452) for us Kiwi and Aussies that get the JDM Stereos. About $170 NZD ($150AUD) all up which is cheaper than a parrot or similar install that can handle aux in, ie full dash replacement and new stereo.

Ordered parts and hope to install early next week as dash still apart

Q

I didnt go this way cause I have the kenwood factory stereo (not macintosh) even though it does still have the 20pin aux in plug on the back.

I just come up with this solution (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ipod-legacy-factory-stereo-138519.html?p=2965452) for us Kiwi and Aussies that get the JDM Stereos. About $170 NZD ($150AUD) all up which is cheaper than a parrot or similar install that can handle aux in, ie full dash replacement and new stereo.

Ordered parts and hope to install early next week as dash still apart

Q

Mine is the Kenwood as well, not the McIntosh. GX-201JE, which I confirmed with the maker of the FSL-21 to be compatible.

Had I known about this solution before, I may have done this differently (and cheaper).

I still haven't decided how to connect the iPhone to the HU, though. I'm thinking of getting a Bluetooth hands-free with aux-out and plugging it into the second aux-in on the FSL-21. That way I can use any Bluetooth-enable device as an audio source.

Aux-in number 1 will be for the TV/DVD/satnav unit.

Alright. I'm back from a very successful installation of the FSL-21. Sound is excellent, and the switch between input 1 and 2 is instantaneous.

The only thing I notice is that sometimes the play time on the HU will freeze. Doesn't affect the audio quality nor the functionality.

I'm using the JDM TV/DVD unit on input 1, and apart from only being able to play region-free DVDs, it's awesome. Too bad I can't find satnav discs for New Zealand for this unit, or it would be perfect.

Input 2 is the aux-in cable I ran to the center console box. It's not final yet, as I wanted to test the unit works before committing to the A2DP Bluetooth receiver. Now that I see it's awesome, I'll plan the next step.

While I had the center console apart, I took the seat out as well to see the cables and the satnav unit properly. Lots of interesting findings, including the RCA input for the rearview camera, which may be my next splurge.

I've uploaded the pics to Flickr and you can view them here: [ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/magu/sets/72157624039085459/show/]FSL-21 Install@@AMEPARAM@@offsite=true&lang=en-us&page_show_url=%2Fphotos%2Fmagu%2Fsets%2F72157624039085459%2Fshow%2F&page_show_back_url=%2Fphotos%2Fmagu%2Fsets%2F72157624039085459%2F&set_id=72157624039085459&jump_to=@@AMEPARAM@@en-us@@AMEPARAM@@%2Fphotos%2Fmagu%2Fsets%2F72157624039085459%2Fshow%2F&page_show_back_url=%2Fphotos%2Fmagu%2Fsets%2F72157624039085459%2F&set_id=72157624039085459&jump_to=[/ame]

Worthy of mention is that I almost broke the left trim (there's a pic of me holding it on its side) while trying to pull it apart because I didn't pay attention to the screws at the bottom. The order of things to remove does matter. Hopefully my pics can show that.

good write up. ill be ordering one of these up shortly so! How long did delivery take after you ordered it?

I was most impressed with Japan's postal service. Delivery took 4 working days.

Hey Magu, you beat me to it, I thought I'd be the first to get one of these :-) mine is still on it's way. Great pictures by the way. I have a slightly different Navi in mine, The DVD is in the glove box and it won't play any DVDs, Japanese or de-zoned. So I am thinking of adding an XBOX with XBMC in the trunk space and adding a basic video switcher. If anyone knows of a video switcher that can be switched remotely please add a link.

I am also interested in the RCA you found that might be for the rev camera, from what I have read they are an RGB signal not a composit (yellow RCA) so you can't use any old camera unless you use a video switcher.

I think you will get an even better sound if you use an Iphone audio cable such as this http://cgi.ebay.com/WhiteNew-Good-AV-RCA-USB-Video-Cable-iPhone-3G-3GS-/320509807637?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4a9fdf8c15

This way you can wire in a 12V/USB and charge too. The 3.5mm headphone plug and and the RCA in of the stereo are a different impedence which can make the sound a little sharp or tinny.

OH FYI, I tried one of the FM modulation MP3 adapters that plug directly into the aerial on the back of the head unit... sucks.... way too much static. If you like clear sound the FSL-21 is the way to go, I also got it from the same place in Japan.

Hey Magu, you beat me to it, I thought I'd be the first to get one of these :-) mine is still on it's way. Great pictures by the way. I have a slightly different Navi in mine, The DVD is in the glove box and it won't play any DVDs, Japanese or de-zoned. So I am thinking of adding an XBOX with XBMC in the trunk space and adding a basic video switcher. If anyone knows of a video switcher that can be switched remotely please add a link.

My great plan is to replace the navi altogether with my own custom-built car-PC. I've had the mini-ITX board for a while (now repurposed into a NAS) and the [ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/magu/sets/72157624179563388/]Carputer - a set on Flickr[/ame] (still sitting in the box). The big setback is the screen, which I haven't organized the funds yet to acquire.

I am also interested in the RCA you found that might be for the rev camera, from what I have read they are an RGB signal not a composit (yellow RCA) so you can't use any old camera unless you use a video switcher.

I'm interested in finding out the same. Good to know there may be setbacks. Although with the prices available on rearview cameras from DealExtreme, I might just risk losing $25 to verify that.

I think you will get an even better sound if you use an Iphone audio cable such as this http://cgi.ebay.com/WhiteNew-Good-AV-RCA-USB-Video-Cable-iPhone-3G-3GS-/320509807637?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4a9fdf8c15

This way you can wire in a 12V/USB and charge too. The 3.5mm headphone plug and and the RCA in of the stereo are a different impedence which can make the sound a little sharp or tinny.

I'm torn between a cable like that or an A2DP Bluetooth receiver like this. Would be nice to get video out working with the iPhone 3GS. But seeing as I'll be buying the next iPhone as well, I might just wait.

Magu ... dont need to come for a listen anymore ... sorted my issue.

Q

How did you sort it, if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT: Never mind, saw the other thread already.

The USDM units are something like:

P-201U with 6CD no MP3

P-203UE with 6CD and MP3 support

P-204UH with 6CD and MP3/WMA support

made by Matsushita

With the Leptronix the connection can be whatever format you want, if RCA is it then just get an RCA female to 1/8" mini plug cable.

The USDM units are something like:

P-201U with 6CD no MP3

P-203UE with 6CD and MP3 support

P-204UH with 6CD and MP3/WMA support

made by Matsushita

With the Leptronix the connection can be whatever format you want, if RCA is it then just get an RCA female to 1/8" mini plug cable.

I was hoping to avoid downgrading the signal to 1/8 mini at any point along the way. Not a terrible loss, but its more and more looking like the double-din conversion is the better way to go.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, just joined.

Just installed the FSL-21 to my 04OB (thanks magu) and thought while I am in there I will also connect a video cable up to the Nav screen (thanks t-type86). I am using an Apple AV Composite cable to connect my ipod touch to the FSL-21 and the Nav screen. I can now listen to musics and/or watch videos AND the ipod charges via the USB charger plugged into the power out in the console. I do believe the sound is better through the ipod dock, than a 3.5mm stereo plug.

Hi all, just joined.

Just installed the FSL-21 to my 04OB (thanks magu) and thought while I am in there I will also connect a video cable up to the Nav screen (thanks t-type86). I am using an Apple AV Composite cable to connect my ipod touch to the FSL-21 and the Nav screen. I can now listen to musics and/or watch videos AND the ipod charges via the USB charger plugged into the power out in the console. I do believe the sound is better through the ipod dock, than a 3.5mm stereo plug.

Can you post pictures of your screen? Did you connect your iPod straight to your screen or do you have a Navi unit under the seat (like I do)?

Can you post pictures of your screen? Did you connect your iPod straight to your screen or do you have a Navi unit under the seat (like I do)?

Nav screen is mounted on the dash and the DVD part is in the glove box BUT is useless here in NZ. There is an 'RCA video in' on the back of the Nav screen. See this post as it is the same screen as mine http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/run-simple-dvd-your-nav-52355.html?t=52355

I seperated off about 20cm of the yellow video wire off a 3 way RCA and plugged it into the back of the nav screen, the red and white plugs I connected to the FSL-21. I then ran the RCA cable down behind the stereo and along past the gear shift to the centre console, where I plugged in one of these http://store.apple.com/nz/product/MB129X/B

I also bought a USB cigarette lighter adaptor, which plugs into the centre console 12v.

Whatever movie or photo slide show that plays on my Ipod touch, will also play on the nav screen. (Ipod must be set to NTSC)

Hope this helps

T

Dash.jpg.3e7e5b49ce7a89f5f454262f3d1bbea8.jpg

Archived