LegacyGT.com

pros and cons of E85

Bumping this up to add a question about properly running E85...

First off, I'm replacing the rubber sections of my fuel lines with ones that won't degrade from the ethanol. My question is about the type of oil to use specifically with E85, since E85 degrades the oil. I know I can use Motul v300, but at almost $100 each oil change, I'll say no thanks to that. This will also be for a freshly built motor, and I would like for it to live a long and healthy life (while still screaming bloody murder while going through the gears).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Stock legacy fuel hoses are ethanol safe. A small amount of ethanol is and has been in US gasoline with very few exceptions, well before the BL/BP was put on sale.

As for oil, it really doesn't matter. There is minimal primary information on this, so if you are truly concerned, then do your own oil analysis (send samples off to a lab like blackstone) and come to your own conclusions.

Gasoline is bad for oil. Ethanol is bad for oil. Water is bad for oil. Methanol is bad for oil. Alcohols are bad for oil.

Your stock fuel system is designed to handle the presence of ethanol.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stock legacy fuel hoses are ethanol safe. A small amount of ethanol is and has been in US gasoline with very few exceptions, well before the BL/BP was put on sale.

As for oil, it really doesn't matter. There is minimal primary information on this, so if you are truly concerned, then do your own oil analysis (send samples off to a lab like blackstone) and come to your own conclusions.

Gasoline is bad for oil. Ethanol is bad for oil. Water is bad for oil. Methanol is bad for oil. Alcohols are bad for oil.

Your stock fuel system is designed to handle the presence of ethanol.

So the stock rubber lines would be able to handle the presence of a higher ethanol concentration? In that case, it's one less thing i have to do.

UOAs are already on my list to things to do, so I'll stick with with my preferred oil until an analysis shows something is up.

Thanks.

Archived