LegacyGT.com

What happens when you meet a deer at 85

I hit a deer doing about that speed in a 68 Opel Rallye. Peeled the hood and pushed the right front side back flush with the front window and spun me around 180 degrees. Had nightmares about that for weeks. Very rural area... threw the deer up in a pine tree at the side of the road, about 15' off the ground. Couldn't find it for about an hour and we were worried it would stumble back out into traffic again.

Hope you're okay and that your car gets fixed very soon. That's one of the reasons I carry $0 deductible comprehensive coverage.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Where's the blood? Yea I hit a deer doing about 40 in my car and the only damage was a dent in the hood, a couple of bumper clips broken, and my passengerside door dented because it flung around into the door. I also got rearended a couple weeks ago by a lady doing 35+ in a 3 series bmw. My car is driveable but has some minor damage, her car had easily 6k worth of damages. I'm VERY pleased with the way these cars are withstanding impacts. It looks like in the pics, that the fender didn't even push into the door on the pass. side, so I assume you were able to open the pass. door?

Where did the pic go? was it too big? But, yea, my car is at the shop right now. the only thing that really got mangled was the headlight and hood, front of the fender and the radiator support got slightly bent. All the doors open fine, the pass door/fender line is still perfect. And no airbags went off.

I hit 3 deer in a 9 month span back in college. Took me about a year of no deer impacts to feel perfectly comfortable driving at night on rural roads. Before that I probably could have been diagnosed with a mild case of post-traumatic stress disorder. I'd find myself honking the horn and driving slow when I'd even THINK of the possibility deer on the road. Very unsettling.

Glad you're okay, and I hope you get your car back soon.

D

Daverino, I know what you mean. I hit a deer this fall on my way to work. For the longest time I found myself driving really slow and all but riding my brakes every time I got close to that spot. I've had a lot of close calls with deer and moose over the years, but that never phased me until I hit one. Funny thing, back in college while driving with a friend we hit a cow, tolaled the car. That didn't give me the paranoid feeling that hitting the deer provided. Guess I figured the chances of hitting another cow were slim.

Glad to hear everyone's OK. Doesn't look like the damage was as much as I would have expected.

Good luck with that, looks like its going to be a bit more then 5k in damages though. I had an accident with less damage then that that cost 7k in total damages a few months ago.

Song of Post- B.B. King- The Thrill is Gone

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I can attest to the PTSD after hitting a deer.. I had one run out in front of me on a bright sunny May day on a county road.. Luckily it was young and only made it to the front fender (and slid back) instead of in front of me.. Scared the living bejeezus out of me.. Even now a few years later, I still get a little paranoid driving on a county road during the night (even though it happened during the day)..

Archived