LegacyGT.com

Extra-S vs. Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110 - Comparison

JoeFromPA

My 2011 Legacy is a 3.6R Automatic but I've considered using Amsoil gear lube in the differentials for better mileage and longevity. Any thoughts about doing this. Car currently has 1100 miles.

I would wait until 30,000 miles before I changed the gear oil. What does the manual say for mileage to replace at ?

My 05 and Spec B have sever gear in the tranny, the Spec also has it in the rear diff. My wagon has extra-S in the read diff because I had some leftover.

The Spec get Amsoil 5-40 European oil in the engine. I use Blackstone Labs for the oil analysis.

Amsoil makes a automatic fluid too.

You do know the front diff is a bolt on part of the tranny, look for the other dip stick.

Oh HAMMERDOWN is the reason I'm using Amsoil now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

WOW you guys running Amsoil, IMO change out your gear oil why to soon.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

Mines is a little over do. 146K on car. 116k on Amsoil Servere gear oil.

Mike

Idiot. Hehehe

Per Amsoil from the link you stated, "For product service life in non-differential applications, consult owner’s manual or the OEM for either normal or severe synthetic oil service intervals"

:)

Did you leave your trans fluid in for 116k? Holy cow that's over AMSOIL's spec by 3x!

Idiot. Hehehe

Per Amsoil from the link you stated, "For product service life in non-differential applications, consult owner’s manual or the OEM for either normal or severe synthetic oil service intervals"

:)

Did you leave your trans fluid in for 116k? Holy cow that's over AMSOIL's spec by 3x!

Nop:rolleyes: , Over only by 16k. Sense are trannys do have a differential. Non-differential applications specs do not apply. :spin::rolleyes::lol:.

Info. is from my; 2005 warranty & maintenance booklet. Pages 40-43

Subaru Maintenance services: Inspect, correct or replace if necessary. Transmission/Diff. (Front & Rear) Lubricants (Gear oil). At every 30k intervals.

Subaru only tells you to chance the gear oil. If you FREQUENTLY operated the vehicle under SERVER driving conditions , every 15k. So if you read between the lines. If you not driving under SERVER driving conditions. You don't ever need to change you gear oil. According to Subaru:spin::spin::spin:

I have no problem running AMSOIL Severe Gear 100k:cool:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I have to say Mike, I'm totally down with your philosophy on 2wd N/A applications of street-driven vehicles.See my 06 Civic SI UOA history (~80k+ of UOAs now, routinely 12-14k intervals and not on AMSOIL products for awhile now).

I know you've had great personal success. I can't get behind it in the LGT. It's just a far more fickle beast in my mind. So I like changing the trans fluid every 30k. I could get behind a rear diff long interval (i.e. 90k) - but just can't see the trans myself.

I could totally be wasting my money, no doubt. But since there's no real way of assessing trans fluid health besides, "Oh my trans bearings are shot" or "Oh that smells worse than normal" - I play it on the safe side here.

You need to do, whatever gives you peace of mind. You could send uyour gear oil in for OA's, like motor oil. My STi 6MT, had 30k on it when I bought it use for my swap. Amsoil been in it ever sense. Total mile on 6MT is now is 142k & still going strong.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived