LegacyGT.com

What did you guys consider before the LGT?

Been lurking for a while, and have been tossing around the idea of a new car with good performance but under/near $30k. We have an 02 Outback and 96 Landcruiser. 2 kids. I am very happy with Subies in general; mine has been great, and my brother has a WRX that he likes alot. What cars did you guys consider before deciding on the LGT?

On the list:

Nissan Maxima, Altima

Acura TL (drove it, didn't like it)

G35

Honda Accord

Thoughts? SUggestions? Thanks!

The Maxima and Altima have some power and speed, however I don't think FWD works with them too well. TL I drove it and liked it, torque steer didn't seem as bad but the car feels heavy, has some nice features though. If I wanted FWD I would probably get the TL. G35 is nice, if you want AWD you will have to get an automatic, 6sp on the coupe and rear rear drive sedan only. I have driven a G35 6sp sedan, nice car handles well but I felt that the seat was too high even at its lowest position, very uncomfortable seats. I owned an 04 Accord LX 5speed sedan before my lgt, for an $18k car you really can't beat it if you want a safe family sedan. Too bad it was so boring...I sold it for something a lot more fun. The V6 accord has a great engine, auto only in sedan..0-60 high 6's but it won;t touch the LGT handling wise. It has a smooth ride and is a great car, if I had to get a 25k car for the wife I would look at either a TSX (few K more) or Accord.

In my opinion, for 30k you are not going to get much better than the LGT if you need this kind of car. You really should try to drive everything, that way you will know which one you like the best. Save the LGT for last :-)

Guest *Jedimaster*
Only serious consideration was the Dodge Magnum. I eventually decided against it because AWD was not available at the time I wanted to purchase, the Hemi version is a gas hog and is also pretty pricey and the clincher is, well, it's a Dodge and I want more than 30,000 thousand reliable miles out of a new car purchase.

I had an Acura Integra GSR sedan before. I considered the TSX strongly at first. I love Honda reliability and the new TSX had a lot going for it. All I really wanted to do was get out of the age group that the Integra put me in. I wanted a 2.5 RS when I bought the Integra, but my wife didn't really dig the 'rally' look that it had. When the new Legacy GT came out I was glad that it looked so sporty but didn't have the obnoxious big fog lights or headlights that turned my wife off. The fact that it had more power and it still was going to be as reliable as a Honda were big selling points. The AWD put it over the top. I've had Subarus before and I have loved them. The LGT just fit too many of my wants and needs to pass up. The fact that it came in my favorite color was just a bonus. :D

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Acura TSX - VERY nice and drive great...great 6 speed manual. But torqueless and not enough speed for the money.

Honda Accord V6 - Honda needs to combine this engine into the TSX and that car would of gotten my sale. Accord was a bit too plain jane and no manual in sedan.

Volvo S40 T5 - very nice car too, but seats were uncomfortable to me (the LGT's isn't much better though). But a bit pricey and the interior was bland. Engine was quick but not as torquey or strong as LGT. Good looking car though. Worth a look and test drive.

Infiniti G35 - had the slighty redesign and 280 hp version been in the sedan a few months earlier, it could of gotten my money too. But, as it stands, it would of cost

a few grand more for equal options. And that doesn't include AWD. Love the 3.5 VQ engine though...it really moves quite well.

Acura TL - I too was looking in the $30K range...This was a few grand too high.

Didn't want another FWD car with torque-steer (I also have a 2002 Maxima with the 3.5 VQ). Very nice car though...if you want a near luxury cruiser only. Very quick on the highway.

Think that's about it.

Honestly for $26-30K the LGT is REALLY hard, if not impossible, to beat for

someone looking for a performance sedan/wagon.

Sure it's not the most luxurious, nor does it have as many amenities as some other

$30K cars, BUT none of those has the AWD AND performance of the LGT either.

The Mazdaspeed 6 will be close. Realistically, I think it will have only about 10 hp and torque more than the LGT (which is underrated a bit based on MANY dyno results) but the Mazdaspeed 6 weighs over 200 pounds MORE than the LGT.

It doesn't have a low of a center of gravity (won't handle as good), nor does it have as good of an AWD system. Plus the Mazda 6 has been out for a couple years already and is just beginning to look a bit old. It's also a touch higher equally equipped.

Honda Accord V6 - Generic, bleh

VW Jetta 1.8T - Good Quality, VW Brand, Fast

VW GTI - Good Quality, Too small

Subaru RS - Too small, slow

Subaru WRX - Fast, too small

Nissan 350Z - Very Fast, too small, not practical as daily driver and only car

Infiniti G35 Coupe - Very Fast, expensive, too small, not practical as daily driver and only car

Mojo

P.S. Loving the VW, I googled for info on chipping and stuff, and once I stumbled upon the oodles of pages on VW's horrid reliabilty record, VW and German cars were out of the picture.

I keed I keeed

Honda Accord

Honda Prelude

Ferrari F575M

Nissan 200SX

SL65AMG

Just to name a few.

Adam.

:lol: All in the same post.

"Hi Mr. Ferrari guy. Can I test drive a car? I want to compare the handling against the Prelude", as you get bounced out of the dealership.

Maybe it's different in Oz, but that's how it would go down here. :rolleyes:

rx-8 - no torque.... uncertain reliability and servicing

GTO - bad car in poor weather.. insurance cost... image

Mustang - same as above

TSX - slow.. as common as an accord

Most midpriced used luxury cars... too expensive to maintain

used sports cars... most people abuse them... I dont like sloppy seconds

Rx-8- I was talked out of by friends and got into the subaru/evo deal

Sti- evo- Too ugly because I dont like wings and prolly to pricey and too much insurance

350z- Immediately dissmissed when I remembered it was 2 seater and I was looking for a 4 door

WRX Wagon, Highlander Hybrid, LGT, OB2.5i, A4 Avant, Mazda 6, STi... but in the end it was a no-brainer. Love my OBXT.

I would be curious to know how many of the LGT owners have driven and OBXT and what they thought.

I personally liked the road manners of the OBXT more than the LGT wagon. It feels like the suspension's stiffer, maybe as a biproduct of being higher. Add in the fact that I drive in 6-12" of snow more than a dozen times each winter and frequent north woods logging roads and the decision was clear.

Sold my 350Z for LGT - but some cars I was looking at:

G35x - auto only in AWD :p

TL - nice but felt heavy and big and FWD

A4 - slower and worried about reliability

S4 - the older TT - again worried about reliability

Altima SER - nice but FWD

RX8 - no torque - and ugly gas milage

R32 - nice but a little too small and felt heavy

This is my first Subie and not only have I been pleased but I am also surprised how much I do not miss the Z (usually).

I had an Acura Integra GSR before buying my Legacy and was looking for something practical. yet fun to drive. I looked at several different vehicles

Infiniti FX35- Even though I dislike SUV, this is certainly a departure from the common SUV. The power was very good, exhaust note was one of the sweetest I have heard from a factory vehicle, and handling unlike most SUVs. The biggest downfall was the interior ergonomics (didnt like control layout and interior materials felt cheap) plus reward visibility is hindered by the thick side pillars (B pilar?) and sloping roofline.

Infiniti G35- Nice power / handling but not crazy about interior.

Volvo S60 R- A true sleeper, 300hp/tq and most people cant discern from a regular volvo. The turning radius on this is horrible (37 ft IIRC). I am not sure if this is attributed to the 'AWD' system which splits power between front/rear at 95/5

Acura TL- A very close second. Like the exterior and interior styling the best of all the cars I considered. The 5.1 factory stereo is awesome plus other nice gadgets like XM and available navigation. The only downfall to this car was FWD. If it were AWD (and not a 1st yr AWD model for Honda/Acura) I would have bought this.

Doddge Magnum- AWD was not available at the time. Like the unique looks, practicality and power. Interior was cheap looking for a 30k plus car.

The Legacy GT had the best combination of attributes I was looking for. I enjoyed the fact they arent a dime a dozen (like the TL) and the value (bought for couple hundred over invoice) made it a no brainer for me. Kind of odd since I have been a Honda/Acura guy for most of my car life and never considered buying a Subaru before.

Acura TL- A very close second. Like the exterior and interior styling the best of all the cars I considered. The 5.1 factory stereo is awesome plus other nice gadgets like XM and available navigation. The only downfall to this car was FWD. If it were AWD (and not a 1st yr AWD model for Honda/Acura) I would have bought this.

ditto!

I haven't bought anything yet, but now I am settled on the Legacy GT, barring some miracle that the Holden Torana gets built and imported here.

I had previously looked at:

Audi A4 - expensive, ?reliability

Maxda RX8 - Small for 4 people, poor gas mileage.

BMW E36 M3 4-door. - getting older, expensive maintenance, hard to find.

The Subaru Legacy GT takes the best from each of those, sporty and driver-oriented, A lot of power, AWD, manual trans, good handling, good looks, and moderately modest weight.

Archived