LegacyGT.com

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a 2006 LGT with 91000 miles. Today the CEL came on and I thought I heard a little squealing so I kept it under 2k the rest of the way home. I had the code read and it was (P011 I think). Had something to do with "A" camshaft position, over advanced, something... I really have a bad feeling it's the turbo, but I have little to no car knowledge. What should I do? I will ask around for a decent mechanic if I can wait till Monday but the dealership might be my best option...

By the way, just from reading another post, I am not trying to be one of the doom and gloom turbo people, I just have a feeling it's my turbo.

I just need to know if any mechanic can diagnose and fix it if it is the turbo (as opposed to the dealer or specialty shops). And, what is the cheapest way to get a good replacement turbo. Thanks for ANY info.

Not sure what the problem is, but if you take it to the dealer for diagnosis make sure to tell them to ask you before they start fixing it. They'll probably charge you for the check even if they don't fix it.

The cheapest way to get a replacement turbo is through the for sale forum here (for a used one) or one of the vendors linked to the site like fred beans (for a new one, but discounted). If you have any of the forum members in your area, they would probably be willing to help you swap the turbo for the cost of pizza and beer as opposed to $20 an hour like the dealer or mechanic.

It's cool; I'm with the band

^^$20/hr for a mechanic. What year is it? 1967? LOL. Every mechanic charges at least $70/hr for work where I live. Most are around $90-$95. Anyway, the squealing sound, did it react to throttle? Kinda sound like a supercharger? If so, I would say it is probably your turbo.

Well, I will take it into the dealer (even though they charge $100/hr) to get it diagnosed. Yesterday when I heard the squealing it was about when the turbo was supposed to spool up. But I test drove it today and I didn't hear the squeal. I even took it to just under 4k and didn't hear it again. I live in Rochester, so if there are any forum members that want to replace it I would gladly pay them (if it ends up being the turbo).

In case anyone is interested, or cares to give any input, here is what I had done.

This morning I checked the oil. When I bought it 2900 miles ago they did an oil change at the dealership (KIA). This morning it was just above the low marker and seemed a little dark for 2900 miles (but what do I know). I took it to a reputable service shop here in NY. On my way I filled up with gas and the CEL light went off. It came back on though about 4 miles from the shop. They told me I was showing both P0011 and P0021 codes. I got a little worried from what I have read about those codes. Anyway, they guy told me he would drop the oil pan and run a sludge cleaner as a first step since sludge might be the cause of the problems.

I have driven it all day and the CEL hasn't come back. I really hope this turns out to be a fix.

hmm...hope you caught the problem in time. If it is in fact sludge, I hope the turbo wasn't starved of oil.. Don't get alarmed by my comment, I know very little about turbo oil lines. Hope this turns out to be an easy fix and keep us updated.

I hope so too. I am hoping that the "squeal" I thought I heard was just in my imagination and not really the turbo bearings becoming a little more intimate with each other. It sounds fine now as far as I can tell. I guess the oil condition in 3000 miles will be a decent indicator of things to come.

If you were showing codes for both sides then an oil contamination problem is likely. This is the first time I've heard of dirty oil/sludge causing these trouble codes, although the symptoms add up. I would have the dealer pull and clean the banjo bolt filters for the driver and passenger AVCS lines. If your oil is that cruddy then it is quite possible those filters are clogged up, which would be the root cause of your trouble codes.

Heard of this issue on other boxer motors.. change the oil and make it nice and clean.. and it goes away hopefully. Had this happen on my friend's forester.

76K miles

3 synthetic oil changes (in 45 day intervals for the past year) and a seafoam and it's still there. It only comes back when I drive a set speed too long. Longest I seen it come back in the warm was 400 miles. soonest in the cold was like less than 20. I looked but was not able to find the part numbers for ocv's since I might as well try that and the banjo bolt too. I finally read these codes on nasioc and shat brix.

Archived