LegacyGT.com

90 legacy belt question

Is the belt on the pulley all the way? If its falling off the pulley it will make noise.

The chances of the other belt starting to make noise right after a belt change are pretty slim. In fact, if the AC no longer works you might as well remove the belt like I did to regain some parasitic loss from the spinning AC clutch. The gain is extremely minor, but you might as well remove it if the AC stopped working and you're not looking into fixing it anytime soon.

Also, belt tension should be set so that there is about 1 inch of belt deflection on the longest length of belt. Another good way to test belt tension is to twist the belt on its longest section. You should be able to just about rotate the belt 90 degrees to the pulleys. More than that and the belt is loose. Less than that and the belt is tight.

Yes it is on there all the way. Its not a loud long screeching noise. It is an occasional minor squeak that dose not last longer than 15 sec. and only while im attempting any turn, but it dose not squeak every time I turn its only every now and then. and usually mostly after the first starup for the day.

Mine used to do it when Florida got cold and I had just changed the belt, but it quit after the new belt wore in. Check and see if your alternator is adjusted tight enough. It may be bouncing. Other than that I dont really know why it would be doing that with a new belt unless it just hasnt been worn in yet. Sorry

Here's what Bryan came up with:

Could possibly be a pulley out of alignment. If the power steering pump or alternator is starting to go, it could momentarily cause excessive resistance that the belt can't hold and cause it to squeal for a moment.

It's a possibility. If it seized up for a moment the belt wouldn't be able to grab.

And how would i be able to tell if the pulley is outta alignment would it wobble or rotate crooked? also i know if the alternators bad what would happen eventually but if my power steering pump went bad then would the car drive with no power steering at all or what would the signs be?

It would probably visibly wobble, but I'm not 100% as I've never had those do it. The crankshaft can do the same thing though if the key behind the pulley is damaged. You can see it wobbling around and it'll cut through the pulley.

I'm assuming that would be the case. You can drive without power steering, but it is really uncomfortable at low speeds. I've never had a power steering pump go out on me, but I have had the system leak before and it usually will whine as you're turning. Not like a belt, but a different noise. Hard to describe. I know when my belt was loose the power steering would kick on out me mid turn...awkward. I would ask Platinum Racing though. That guy knows a crapload more than me.

"Also, belt tension should be set so that there is about 1 inch of belt deflection on the longest length of belt. Another good way to test belt tension is to twist the belt on its longest section. You should be able to just about rotate the belt 90 degrees to the pulleys. More than that and the belt is loose. Less than that and the belt is tight."

Then I would go by Platinum Racing's advice.

Or are you looking for the positions to adjust each belt?

Archived