LegacyGT.com

Tire Pressure Warning Light

Do you have aftermarket wheels? If you do and didn't get sensors installed, then that's the only case I can see where it would stay on the whole time with no system problems (like mine does). Sounds like you have a system error and I think only the dealer can fix it. The system requires a special tool to check and reset the TPMS.

More info would help. Does the light constantly stay on at start up, or does it come on after like 15 minutes and blink? What year is the car?

They put a sensor in the spare too?

hey this just happened to me the other day! i think since its getting warmer, your tire pressures are UP! the other day on a roadtrip, light suddenly went on and i thought i had a flat. pulled along side of the road to find nothing. check pressures, and they were at ~50psi. i had it over the winter set at 40/38 F/R, so with the warm weather, it jumped up. i let out some air, and it was hot, the light went away.

^ check your gauge. For air pressure to jump 10psi from 40, temperature would have to come-up like 150+ degrees (F).

OP: More details please. When did it come up? Are wheels stock? Still under warranty?

TPMS in a spare? First time I hear about it. I bet there isn't one.

^ check your gauge. For air pressure to jump 10psi from 40, temperature would have to come-up like 150+ degrees (F).

OP: More details please. When did it come up? Are wheels stock? Still under warranty?

TPMS in a spare? First time I hear about it. I bet there isn't one.

He had been driving for a while. That would also cause the pressure to increase in addition to the rise in temperature.

If the wheels are stock, your tire pressure is all set properly when cold (this includes your spare tire, and yes, I have personal experience with the spare tire setting off the tpms - although not in a subaru), perhaps one of your sensors is bad. Try reseting the computer by pulling the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds. If it comes back, I'd assume a sensor is damaged/bad.

If the wheels are stock, your tire pressure is all set properly when cold (this includes your spare tire, and yes, I have personal experience with the spare tire setting off the tpms - although not in a subaru), perhaps one of your sensors is bad. Try reseting the computer by pulling the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds. If it comes back, I'd assume a sensor is damaged/bad.

There is no TPMS sensor in our spare wheels. The TPMS light will come on if a spare is put on because they don't have a sensor in them.

OP: How long has the light been on? I would try resetting the ECU first. If that doesn't work I would bring it to the dealer and have them check out the TPMS computer.

my mistake then, my wifes car has a tpms in the spare so its not too far fetched. its full size though, not a doughnut.

BUT it doesnt hurt to make sure the doughnut has air =)

Yummy, does it have sprinkles on it too?:lol:

I'm pretty sure that if the light comes on and blinks it is a system issue. If the light comes on at start up and stays on, it is low tire pressure. Either way, I think you need to go to a dealer or a shop that has the Subaru TPMS tool to get your system analyzed. Either that or since you know the tire pressures are correct, ignore the light.

Reference http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiremonitor.html#light

Archived