LegacyGT.com

Third time in the shop-no resolution

On Jeeps and other 4 wheel drives, they call that "death wobble". The usual causes are loose front end parts (tie rod ends etc) or front end out of allingment, usually the toe-in is off. If you hit the pot hole with your front tire also, I would start with an allignment and tire balancing.

update please!

I saw a jeep the other day pegging 70ish on my road probably after a trip to a local mud hole (caked in mud), and I pulled off to the side of the road as far as I could: the driver's front wheel was wobbling like crazy. scared the hell outta me...it could've launched off at any time. funny how the guy didn't stop...

• 4 weeks later...
I think the moral of the story is don't let a shop touch the car? sorry to hear there's nothing new about it. the morning vs day/evening is interesting though, makes me wonder if it is the brake. whenever I park mine at night I set the brake, and I notice from the rear that there's a squeak in the morning as I take turns and sometimes straight that disappears throughout the day. might just need new pads and rotors, but it's interesting...

when it happens, check the temp of wheels brakes and tires with one of those cheap IR thermometers. if one is real hot, you get the idea. small oil leaks are not uncommon from the crankcase vent area cover behind the flywheel and from valve covers. when this oil gets on the exhaust, it can take several weeks to completely stop smelling. NEW aftermarket axle shafts only cost about $55 and are made in china so you can imagine the quality. having to replace a new one soon should not suprise you. (unless you got a new oem shaft) big$$

tom

Sorry everyone. I didn't know you were replying!! For some reason I stopped getting the emails letting me know about them. Okay, so here is where we are now.

Last time in the shop, they balanced all 4 tires. Didn't solve the problem. The really odd thing is that one day, it just stopped. Didn't happen again for like a month. Now it happens maybe once every two weeks. Haven't noticed a correlation between car location or temps.

Going to throw another thing into the mix. Not sure if it is related or not. Had the car give me the "At Oil Temp" warning light so something is going on with transmission possibly. Checked the tranny fluid and it is fine. I actually had some transmission work done last fall so fluid is not old.

I think I am going to call my transmission shop to see if they can read the code off the transmission. Based on some things I have been reading online, I am wondering if maybe these two items aren't related as I have different tires in the front from the back. Plus, this issue didn't start until we put a new tire on the back. Two on the front were put on at the same time. Two on the back are same brand and tire put one is newer than the other by about 8 months. Could it be messing with the AWD or some other transmission thing maybe? Thoughts everyone.....

If your car is automatic different tires wont be a big deal. As it's not a true 50/50 setup like manual. My back tires have 1-2/32 difference from the front tire. I have no problems DD or Auto-X.. my car is an automatic trans.

Manda try this.

Put the front wheels to the back and the rear to the front.

I'm simply saying put the back wheels in the front and the front to the back. Since you noticed this happening after that 1 tire change. Try it because it's free.

Still have issues put the fuse in for FWD mode and see if it's related to center or rear diff.

I'm simply saying put the back wheels in the front and the front to the back. Since you noticed this happening after that 1 tire change. Try it because it's free.

Still have issues put the fuse in for FWD mode and see if it's related to center or rear diff.

Agreed. I was just about to say EXACTLY this haha. Thank you :lol:

i dont think anyone here wants to buy your car after hearing all this.ha. maybe if someone wants it for parts or a autox build

but you should try the FWD fuse first. well, if you have the auto

Transmission checks out fine. Fluid is still nice cherry red and no codes coming off it. Guy said he did notice some hesitation around 40-50 MPH but he things it is engine related. He said it didn't seem like it was a serious issue though and to not spend a lot of time/money trying to hunt that down. If the "AT Oil Temp" light comes back on I am going to drive it straight there to see if they can get anything off it.

Asked him about the other issue with the car and he recommend matching up all the tires first to see if that resolves the issues. So I guess I will try that. I don't like these cheap Primewell tires that are on the back so I think I will go ahead and replace all 4. Never have been happy with the way the car drove with them on there. Just got to get the cash together to replace everything. Any recommendations on tire brands? I don't do any serious driving. Mainly just back and forth to work which is about 15 miles of interstate.

• 5 months later...
I've got a quick question, I've got a noise at the back of my 94 legacy, it starts about second gear, kinda slow - womp, womp, womp, almost like something rubbing. I've never owned a vehicle with cv's on the rear, I know that front one can be felt in the steering with bad clicking noises when turning, but has anyone experienced rear cv's going out? We replaced the wheel bearings about 5 months ago, after replacing a perfectly good diff.

Archived