LegacyGT.com

JL Cleansweep/RF 3SIXTY. quick question.

Theride

For the record, I cant stand the Harman Kardon(sp) system in the 09 legacy. For a top notch system its really lacking.

I have been doing some research on using the OEM head unit while upgrade the speakers and add a sub. However I keep reading that you will not be able to use the OEM volume nob if you add a CLeanSweep or 3Sixty to tie in the factory system.

Is this true?

You can use the knob on both. Nothing screwy happens. However, when you set both units to flatten the frequency response of the OEM h/u, it's done at a certain volume. That volume level (roughly 3/4 of the way up) is designed to give the most undistorted signal to your aftermarket system.

If you adjust the volume on the OEM unit instead of the CS or 3Sixty, it affects the level of each frequency. The frequency response varies throughout the volume range (at higher volumes, the OEM system cuts the bass to protect the mid-range speakers). Basically, you may hear more prominent mids or highs or less-pronounced lows, etc.

I'm not certain if the JDM swap fits the 09 model. But, I can tell you that after having both the CS and 3Sixty.2, the added cost of a new double-din unit is well worth the long-term investment.

I should also add that you do not need a CS or 3Sixty.2 in order to add a sub and swap the OEM speakers. Those devices are used when you want to power everything from aftermarket amplifiers and essentially re-wire the car.

You can easily add a sub using a Line Out Converter or using the new JL RCA to Speaker Wire solution: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_connections_detail.php?cat_id=5

Swapping the door speakers to keep them powered by the existing system will work, though other users have reported not much improvement. Keep in mind the HK system was designed with the factory speakers in mind.

I wanted to change the speakers, add new amps and a subwoofer. as a matter of fact . i have an entire system from my old car. alpine HU ,equalizer and all.

But I only wish i could add everything minus the aftermarket HU and equalizer.

You mentioned that the OEM system cuts out the bass to protect the mids. my question is, is it the HU that does this or does the factory amp has some sort of processor built it that does this?

There is not any sort of DSP level processing in the HU (not sure on the amp), but there is some EQ going on. Something is diffrent on the HK HU from the standard one in this regard, but no one knows as of yet what it is.

What I can tell you for sure is the "loudness" compensation is done in the head unit, and thus why one cannot use the OEM volume control with a Cleansweep or 3sixty.x. As the volume nob on the head unit is turned, the EQ changes as well. As the EQ changes with volume setting, there is no way for the Cleansweep or 3sixty.x to correct it. Thus why they say to set it at 3/4 and use their control.

I've got the 360.1 in my 05 lgt, and I use the factory volume knob. Is it changing the freqs? Probably. Can I tell? No. :)

However, with that in mind, ^^ are both correct, I just can't really tell the difference.

BTW - I also used a simple LOC in the beginning, and did notice more of a difference, but it worked (and cost $10).

Found a killer deal here on LGT.com from another member (1/2 the price of ebay), and I'm building a car-pc, so I needed the aux-in, figured (at that price) it was better then hacking the stock HU or mounting a 2nd HU...

Well... I have two amps (non-factory), one for the f/r spkrs, one for the sub (in the trunk), and in order to NOT run speaker wire from the amps in the trunk to all the doors, I tapped in behind the HU in both directions...

Pulled out the HU, ran splices from the factory spkr OUTS to the LOC (mounted behind the glove box - if you reach up around the vent system, there's a open spot that will contain it), ran RCA to the amps, ran 1 set of spkr wires back to behind the HU, and spliced into the factory speaker wires running to the doors. I left the factory outs to the factory sub under my seat (didn't want to take it out, and didn't want to blow it).

I've heard of people tapping into the rear-speaker wires, and that would work, but you'd lose the Front-Rear if you amped all your speakers (maybe they were just installing a sub, in which case that would work fine).

Honestly, I have no idea if my car came with a factory amp... if it did, I never found it, and it's out of the circuit now.

If you're planning on installing your own amplifiers (obviously, why else would you tap in anywhere?), I would tap PRE-factory amp... not sure what amp-->amp would do to the signal, especially high-level.

.. oh, and please keep in mind, I'm a shade-tree installer at best... been doing it for a long time, but not a professional :)

Shade Tree installer lol. well iave been the same thing. I have two amps and a set of components that i want to install. ive never installed a system using the factory HU but we will see how it goes.

when you say (speaker OUT), Do you mean the wire(on an aftermarket radio this would the the RCA wire) going out from the HU to the factory amp?

In my case, it was the speaker outs - the factory HU didn't have RCA's out, nor connectors for any... The only thing it had was the factory harness, with the FR,FL,RR,RL speakers (and another set for the sub, but I didn't touch those). I just figured out which wire went where, and used a splice connector on them.

FYI - I have the auto dual-climate control. In case you don't, there's a metra kit for replacing the stock HU - if you've got manual climate controls, that's your best bet. I did it that way in my last legacy (also '05, but n/a), and it worked great.

The connection between the HU and the amp in the HY system is actually speaker level, NOT LINE LEVEL. You can drive speakers directally off teh head unit. There is no place to get RCA (line) level outputs from the stock head unit without modifications (see my thread on it).

dease43 has a '05, it does not have a factory amplifier like the HK system in the '09 does.

Tap your LOC or 3sixty.x or clean sweep into the signals between the HU and the amp. You'll have less processing to deal with.

Archived