LegacyGT.com

clutch change issue...

KRM

anyone want to give me a few tips on pulling my 5mt off the engine? i have every bolt taken off, double checked and tripple checked. push, pull, and pry :mad:.

any info would be great. ive never had this much difficulty changing a clutch.

While you're figuring out how to get the case apart be sure and get the T50 Torx Plus bit for the F/W bolts and the clutch alignment tool if you don't have them already. Also, you'll probably need to use a little pry action to get the case past the turbo flange, both removing and reinstalling the tranny. Finally, when putting the case back together you may find that it won't line up with the engine. One good way to solve this is to use a rope to rotate the engine back on its mounts so that the back of the engine drops to meet the case. Good luck!

Just replaced mine over the weekend with help from a buddy of mine...it was a painful experience to get the transmission off/on. We ended up having to take a very very thin bladed screwdriver to get the initial seperation of the two...then used some brute force to get it from there. Installed the ACT HD clutch/PP and Streetlight FW. Was going to install the TSK3 kit...but one of the metal tabs on the bearing broke off out of the box (although better it broke before I got it sealed up into my transmission). :( So had to use the TOB that came with my ACT kit. /tear

I'll post some pictures later today...let's just say it was time for the clutch to be replaced...and you can see all the pieces a stock TOB breaks apart into when it dies ;)

88,000 miles in my gt and the clutch plate still had grooves in it. guess im alot easier on my car than i orig thought. the oem bearing was f'ed tho. and there were 3 small grooves in the shaft so im glad i put in the tsk3.

Archived