LegacyGT.com

wiper problems

Ok, so this is something I've lived with for a while, and now it's up for fixing because it's starting to get me nervous going out in the rain. When the wipers start out, they'll go about two inches from the driver's side end of the window, then stop (when there's a little water on the windshield). Then, if I turn up the speed, they'll start throwing to the very end of it, make a hard slap against the trim (and maybe that panel :( ), then return back to slap against the plastic molding at the base of the windshield. It's so bad that I turn the wipers off. I thought the adjustment was off, so I fiddled like crazy trying them in different spots. Nothing has worked. What's causing the throw to be so ridiculous, and is there anything I can do about it? And has anyone had this problem??

Maybe there's something with the joints that's falling apart? I don't know the set up too well, but I think it's a central motor connected to rods and joints that work in synch to wipe. Maybe a bushing or something gave out, and it's causing an increased throw?

found it: bad plastic pivot cap where the transmission armature mounts to the wiper linkage. poor design, no way to get a new plastic cap itself, $50 for a new linkage already captured with the pivot caps :( I'm trying an old epoxy trick to see if I can't mend it, but I don't know how long it's going to last. oh well.

found it: bad plastic pivot cap where the transmission armature mounts to the wiper linkage. poor design, no way to get a new plastic cap itself, $50 for a new linkage already captured with the pivot caps :( I'm trying an old epoxy trick to see if I can't mend it, but I don't know how long it's going to last. oh well.

Sweet, saves me the trouble of tracking down the problem. How about a picture showing the location of the suspect bushing?

Have any of you guys had this problem:

So it has poured down rain the last couple days and when I got in my car this morning I noticed that some papers I've been keeping it between my center cousel and drivers seat where down kind of by my floor mat and they were wet. I grabbed the papers and then felt my floor mat but that was relatively dry but when I felt the carpet under the floor mat it was soaking wet. Is this caused by a bad sun roof drain or something?

0329002139.thumb.jpg.c883b50a17a404be79c8080d11f81033.jpg

0329002140.thumb.jpg.48a8ee22897643f9a10d77cd036d30ab.jpg

0329002140a.thumb.jpg.5943232d6f6902155c9669b1f311a8f1.jpg

0329002142.thumb.jpg.fd97be4efc0acfe6c91e3509e50b1217.jpg

0329002142a.thumb.jpg.657dec4293fcb17599750c98ede77a21.jpg

0329002142b.thumb.jpg.7864f57f6ecab56269bdc7d8bd489547.jpg

First one is the end that hooks up to the transmission: it's bare metal. The next one is what it should look like with the captured ball end. That armature is the link that hooks right up to the transmission, and the ball attaches to what should be the white plastic ball end. Unfortunately, mine had broken and was literally turning the metal end (very very unsafe; my wipers could've gone out at any point and I wouldn't know it). The next few are where the motor mounts and the hole where that shaft is. Right at that point is where I was missing a ball end cap because it had shattered under some kind of stress. DON'T PUT THIS OFF IT'S SERIOUS! With that said, I found there's a kit over at advanced auto that has end caps that will fit this linkage. Motormite 49447...it's designed for american linkages and has 4 tabs on the back. The good is it fits, the bad is it needs a little heat persuasion for it to work. This is on a NASIOC thread somewhere, and it's worked almost every time. I'm going up tomorrow to check it out and get some, because epoxy did not cut trying to piece the old cap together. Good luck!

And as for water leaking, I've noticed a spot right behind the windshield on the driver's side headliner that is damp after some heavy rain. Interesting...have not noticed any other leaking anywhere, so I'll just pass it off for now. Wipers first :spin:

I was going 2 post that the wiper thing happened 2 my old integra and it was the plastic cap you speak of. I was also going 2 say they have a kit at autozone that has caps that will fit. Lol

But it looks like you already figured it out.

Let us know how it works out!

-Ben

^^ oh yeah :cool:

I'm going to pick up a kit today, there's also a set of nissan caps that look like the OEM subaru ones. Advance has both of them, so I'll bring the linkage and find out if there's something we're missing, because the nissan one has the crazy ball with teeth and the retaining ring. Fingers crossed; I don't like messing with heat trying to get the jeep bushing in, but there's 3, so I've got three shots just in case!

why thank you! yep I'm ashamed too; I plan on a conversion and a wrx swap after college though (5 yrs down the road). My first car...I plan on having it for a long time!

A bit of irony for all of you: I tore apart the wiper assembly yesterday afternoon. Since then, we've had an armageddon of rain here in the northeast, and I haven't been able to drive the car. Picking up parts today, but I don't know if it will be in time :/

WHAT A DIFFERENCE

the rain quit right as I finished the job up; excellent excellent wiping. it's consistent, clean, and without the violent slap. anyone who's questioning whether or not to check out their set up DON'T HESITATE. it's easy, and once you snap everything together for the ball joints it's just putting everything back. I love when things work :cool:

the one that had the 4 tabs on it; it's actually the only one that will fit the ball socket. what you need to do is heat up the 4 little tabs and bend them back so you can fit in the bulb from behind. once those tabs are bent back a little bit, it will give you enough meat to get the plastic ring in from behind. heat the whole bulb and just work it around with a flathead or a set of pliers. it takes a bit of patience, but it worked first try for me. don't forget grease! let me know if you have any questions.

Question Please.

I am having the same problem and I bought the kit. But...I am having trouble getting the linkage arm out to work on it. I only have the little hole that the motor arm goes through. How did you access the arm? Is there an access panel I am missing or did you go in through the interior?

Thanks

To access that arm, you need to go to the pivot joint on the passenger side wiper. if you're missing the plastic cap on the motor side, you just need to pop off the joint that's at the passenger side wiper assembly. once the arm is free, thread it through the openings toward the driver's side of the car. It takes a little bit of work, but it should get through.

Archived