LegacyGT.com

Are all rear sway bars created equal (design-wise)?

maddoc

So I didn't see any thread about this (I may be blind), but I wanted to compile all the rear sway bars for the Legacy. Mainly, I wanted pictures of each sway bar, and also wanted to compile which sway bars worked with what exhausts.

For example, I have the Invidia Q300 Quad-tip exhaust (v1) and a Whiteline Adjustable rear sway bar. These don't work together. The sway bar comes into direct contact with the crossover piping. Now, I'm curious to see if there are sway bars that are designed differently to clear aftermarket exhausts like this.

** Reserved for pics - I'll post them once I get them**

How about you post what you want and narrow down our responses? That would make it a lot easier for us.

I wanted to compile all the rear sway bars for the Legacy. Mainly, I wanted pictures of each sway bar, and also wanted to compile which sway bars worked with what exhausts.

Um...post your rear sway bars and exhaust setups? I'm mainly trying to compile a database to determine rear sway bar designs and what will work well with different exhaust setups... As I mentioned, my Whiteline rear sway is in direct contact with my exhaust piping and is causing issues.

So if there are other rear sway bars out there designed differently for the Legacy GT to alleviate this problem, I would like to know and compile a database of rear sway bars for other members to refer to.

Was I not clear enough?

Nope, never did you state you wanted people to post their individual setups. You asked for a list.

Anyways, SPT exhaust and Cusco rear sway, stock endlinks.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Perrin 22mm sways/brackets/endlinks + SPT CBE = no problems

Perrin 22mm sways/brackets/endlinks + SPT CBE + Cobb springs = rubbing (see below)

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/tunedlgt/IMG_1130-1.jpg

They clank together over bumps.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/tunedlgt/CleanedPadded.jpg

Cheap easy fix. (Radiator hose + zip ties)

• 3 weeks later...
Just an FYI, I found out yesterday that the Rallitek rear endlinks are shorter than stock. This has the side-effect of pulling the ends of the bar lower and raising the bar itself up and away from the exhaust pipes underneath.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

^ Yep. Rallitek, at one point (still?) bill(s/ed) those as being well-suited for slightly-dropped BL/BPs. :)

The AVO bracket reinforcements, as Gmachine mentioned in another thread, also displaces the bar a little bit further back (i.e. by the plate's thickness) towards the rear of the vehicle, too. But here, the caveat is that it may or may not bring the bottom corners of the plate and/or the mounting bracket/hardware into contact with the cat-back piping.

---

As a side-note, I was surprised at how easily the Rallitek HD rears - which, like you said, are noticeably shorter than the stock pieces - installed, particularly as I had my car on jackstands (while I have a set of Raceramps, I decided to jackstand and take the wheels off for this install, as I timed it to coincide with my winter-to-summer switch-over, anyway ;)). I'd fully expected to have to jack the individual suspension a bit, but they got into position without any issues.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived