LegacyGT.com

Silly newb questions about 6MT

valerka

As I know the gearing in 6MT and 5MT are of different value, and I also know that LGT 5MT can reach 60mph in 2nd gear with still a little room to spare.

My question is, can the Spec B do the same, or would one need to engage the 3rd to reach 60?

55 in second need to shift to make 60mph.

55 in second, 85 in third, 110 in fourth.

This is what you will hit at 6700 RPM.

Even with the extra shift I can nail 0-60 in about 4 flat. With a good clutch I bet I can get 4 all day.

There is no point in winding it out that high either, especially on the stock turbo. There is nothing left up there.

I completely agree on a stock motor and stock turbo but I have ported/built heads with cams so I still have a lot left over up to 8K

Quite interesting information guys, Thanks!

so if you are not a pro in MT then you would be pulling better times 0 to 60 with 5MT in comparison to the 6MT.

What about hwy cruising how much lower the RPMs run at 65-70 mph in final gear of the 6MT comparing to 5MT, and does it translate in to substantial fuel savings?

The 6MT in the SpecB has different final drive ratios than the 6MT in the STi. The SpecB 6MT is specifically geared for better fuel economy is 6th.

Yes, 5MT's can be a little easier to pull good 0-60 times. But, the 5MT is not as strong as the 6MT. 6MT holds more power.

The 6MT in the SpecB has different final drive ratios than the 6MT in the STi. The SpecB 6MT is specifically geared for better fuel economy is 6th.

Not true. Same final drive ratio between all years STI and SpecB 6MT (3.9:1). Same 1-4 gear ratios as 07-10 STI. The only difference are 5 & 6th ratios that are taller than STI's one.

My bad. Thanks unclemat. It is not the "final" drive ratio, but the 5/6 ratios that are different. I am seeing STi owners swapping to SpecB 6MT's for fuel economy.

Well, yeah, I replaced 5&6 gears in my 08 STI tranny with JDM Forester STI gears - same ratio as SpecB, but the gears are different (different size keyways).

For an STI owner it would be stupid to replace entire tranny with SpecB tranny and lose front LSD and DCCD.

I know the LSD swaps (I am looking into it). Not sure about the DCCD. But it would seem easier to install the needed gears over swapping all the other stuff.

unclemat, you are using an STi front LSD, no?

Yes, in both 08 STI gearbox and 08 SpecB gearbox. I replaced the SpecB one with the STI one, and I am going to install the SpecB one in my 2nd wagon. DCCD is nice but I'd rather have front LSD than DCCD.

Archived