LegacyGT.com

Master cylinder location on 96 brighton wagon?

Hi everyon I thought my clutch cable was bad, but it turns out that the car wont engage/dis-engage. It seems like the clutch needs to be bleed. Only thing is I cant locate a bleeder let alone the Master Cylinder clutch reservoir. I was told there is one and that the problem is the lines just need to bleed. I have no idea where they are at. I cant find anything on the net as for a diagram. any help is appreciated.

HAHA! That makes sense. Well, any advice on what the issue could be if I replaced the clutch cable, but the clutch still wont engage/ disengage. (I can Barely start it) It has a clutch in safety mech when I start it.

could it be that the clutch just stopped working over night? Thanks in advance

I am not sure what happened. I just got back on a drive from San Francisco and as soon as I get home I notice the play getting worse and at that moment it just stops working. (just barely pulled it in the drive way)

Like I said I have been fiddling with the clutch cable and that has not seemed to help.

Older models were known for breaking clutch cables,but not so much the Legacy models. The cables would break where they mount to the clutch pedal. The cable end that is held to the pedal support was made of what I'd call pot metal. Sometimes the end just snapped,other times it broke,but the clutch might have worked a few more times before the cable totally failed.

If you look under the dash up towards the pedal mount,you should be able to see the cable end. If the cable is loose,it is most likely broken.

This is an easy fix, as long as you don't mind standing on your head under the dash. Install the pedal end of the new cable first.

right not I am just working through the clutch housing release lever hole. In the repair manual I found online it said I need remove the clutch release bearing before I can get the clutch release lever off. I am taking it as what you call the "shifter fork" is the clutch release lever?

Thanks in advance!

Yes you have to remove the transmission,or the engine. Your choice. Engine is easier if you have the equipment. Plan on replacing the clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and the pilot bearing while your at it.

Only makes sense. Same amount of work for the most part.

Have fun.

Archived