LegacyGT.com

window tint

chillij715

i want to get my windows tinted but not many shops do it around where i live in ny..

i found 1 shop that priced $170 + tax to do all my windows on a legacy sedan,does this sound like a decent price or should i just attemt it my self?

thankss

I think that sounds like a semi decent price i got quoted like 190 for a wagon. extra windows though.

Up to you on the grade tint you whant to put on but maybe check into local laws reguarding what lvl tint you can have. Seen a tint thread earlier that showed the diffrent legal lvl's of tint for each state IE 35% etc. not to say you cant do what you like but you may get a fix it ticket if its to dark.

When i researched local tint shops to do mine i read alot of the reviews from cutomers to see if the shop had a great reputation etc. and alot of the reviewers all had to go again to a shop to have tickets fixed that where like 150+ pluss the cost of the new tint(just a word to the wise)

some shops will actually give you a certificate stating what lvl tint they put on.(not sure if that would help or not on the side of the road if you get pulled over or not)

As far as doing it your self i too researched that, i think you can find out what type(good quality)tint the shops are using(IE. read one tint shop uses Llumar films) and just order it dirrectly from the manufacture( i think i had looked at gilla brand)on the diffrent tint manufacture website some even had links to you tube videos showing how to do it your self as a walk threw.

some people are so un-aware of the hazing that takes place for maybe first week they think some things wrong and it really part of the process. pluss they do mention diffrent weather temp's affect the tint instalation and curring processes, do a little research maybe on google and check it out.

Personally i have the time to try a do it your self and was wanting to do my rear quarter windows dark as possible but think i might just have it done professionaly for peice of mind, so i dont nit-pick my own work.

Let us know how it goes and maybe some pics.. i talked to one local installer hes said he would let me photograph the whole process so i could maybe do a write up on it.

I purchased my car used from an owner in NY. His tint was at 12%, that's basically limo tint. I would check your state laws to find the legal limit. I found it to be too dark, it was hard to see out of the side windows at night. In MA when the state inspects your car each year they check to make sure your tint is legal. They found mine tested at 12% and made me pull it off. I went and got 35% put on.

That's a really good price to do the whole car. Almost too good. I paid 150 just to have my front two windows re-done. Tint is one of those things where you get what you pay for. You want to make sure the installer brings the tint right up to the tippy top of the window, especially because we don't have door frames, otherwise it will look shitty, especially if you have the window rolled down part way.

FYI: i paid $160 for my wagon in queens, ny.

excellent job, edge of windows too.

chilli's right, NY law is no tint, unless from factory. just roll down your windows when yuo're in local busy streets, or see a patrol car.

blast the heat in the winter!!!

i did 35% in the front, then 30% in the rear.

remember, percentage dictates how much light is let through (higher the percentage, less tint)

also, its important to use a high quality, name brand tint (3m, etc.) otherwise you get that purplish, green tint over time.

for my sedan i think i paid around $150, but that was like 4 years ago. I think that is a decent price for professional work. Doing it yourself may come out badly, and make it look awful.
It's not about speed, it's about acceleration!

Go dark if you like it. Anything over 70% on the fronts in NY is illegal. I love mine. There are a ton of pictures of tinted cars on this site. Go with what you want. I've got 2 layers 5% on backs and 1 layer 5% front. Word of advice if you get pulled over. Roll your windows down so they can see inside the car. They will appreciate it.

P9050197.thumb.jpg.977c93fe9cb94fd4e2ea45383ebe2d3b.jpg

Don't tint the front side windows unless you enjoy getting pulled over.

NY sounds like it has this law. Same where I live.

Any time I see a car with front sides tinted I immediately get suspicious. And I'm no cop.

I roll my wagon with 35% all around the back 5 windows. True, 20% looks pimp but it's too dark. A cop won't be able to see inside the car at night or on a cloudy day and that's just an invitation....

ya it sucks with the suspicion of tinteed windows, but what about the ppl that have nothing to hide? they just like tint?

so i tryed it myself... 20 in the rear n 35 in front.. looks good everywhere but the very top.... deff need it professional done.. only cost bout $20.. worth to just try it first. u never no what u might be able to do

If you do decide to get it professionally done 170 is a good price. Try to find out what kind of tint the guy uses as well. Some tint film is better than others and some end up fading or turning purple.

I live in NY as well I have 20% tints all around. I have not been hassled as of yet so you should be fine. All though they have strict tint laws here in NY they dont seem to enforce it unless they get you for something else. Just roll your front windows down if you get pulled over.

i dont know the % but i have tints all around just slighter than limo, i also have an 8" strip on top of my front windshield because i hate wearing sunglasses and i've never been bothered my cops. tints are illegal in NY but i rarely hear of people getting pulled over for tinted windows. 170 is a good price, i payed less for mine but i also have been a longtime customer of my tint shop and have brought them many new customers.

i paid 40 bucks in materials for mine by doing it myself. i decided i wasnt going to some shady area in the city and give the 200 bucks for it, so i taught myself. all it takes is an afternoon and some research. its been two weeks, and my windows are flawless. You can do it!

Archived