LegacyGT.com

I'm freaking out! HELP! (engine knock)

OK, so I rev the engine up between 2K and 3K and blip the throttle with the clutch pushed in and I get a weird knocking sound that I can hear through the firewall and feel in the clutch pedal. When the clutch is engaged I don't really hear it. Poking around the engine with my stethoscope, I can hear it a little bit around on the block and bell housing, but it is clear as day when I listen to the clutch fork sticking up out of the bell housing (that the slave cylinder pushed against). With the stethoscope I can hear the noise no matter the position of the clutch. I have no idea what the heck is causing this. I don't really pick up on any knocking under normal driving conditions. Any thoughts? I've had a lot of stuff go wrong with this car so I'm a little worried. :eek:

Maybe the release bearing has separated from the release lever and in that RPM range has enough momentum to start running out and is hitting the release lever. I'm not sure about your car but somtimes the release bearing is connected to the release lever only by a couple of very small spring clips. One of the clips on my car broke recently and once I got in there and saw it, I was bummed...another special order part that I'll have to wait for. The guy in Subaru parts, though, actually had some in stock because they break often. Good luck figuring this out.

Maybe the release bearing has separated from the release lever and in that RPM range has enough momentum to start running out and is hitting the release lever. I'm not sure about your car but somtimes the release bearing is connected to the release lever only by a couple of very small spring clips. One of the clips on my car broke recently and once I got in there and saw it, I was bummed...another special order part that I'll have to wait for. The guy in Subaru parts, though, actually had some in stock because they break often. Good luck figuring this out.

What did yours sound like when the clip broke?

I didn't really get a knock. It was only a suggestion because that release lever isn't connected to much else. On my car, at first I only barely noticed that there was kind of a light grinding sound whenever I would take my foot off the clutch. It didn't sound like too big a deal. Shortly thereafter, the clutch started grabbing really bad...I think because the release bearing was not actually releasing all of the way. It would not have lasted like this for long and I drove it straight to the garage where I could work on it and started taking things apart. The release bearing had been riding the fingers of the pressure plate so hard that it sliced its whole diameter into them.

I have heard this type of noise from an engine that the flywheel has come loose on. Have any idea of the service history on the clutch?

Whatever the cause, you better quit running it until you find out what the problem is, before you cause some serious damage.

Archived