LegacyGT.com

$150 or Eibachs????

blackturboblack

I asked a mechanic near my job how much he would charge me for a spring replacement, figuring to swap the OEMs with Eibach Pros. I mentioned how I needed the car about an inch lower to counter the drift issues in high winds. He told me he could just cut the OEM springs and bring the car down an inch. I said: Hmmmm. With the money I save I can grab some Cobb sways and kill the body roll. Is this too good to be true?

Cut springs is stupid relative to the all-around performance increase of the eibachs. That quote is fine. Ask him to mark the camber bolts so you aren't completely out of wack for the week leading up to your new alignment. The eibacks will even reduce body roll. You won't regret it.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Of course, that assumes you can get the Eibachs at all... last I heard they were discontinued?

Secondly, as with most lowering/stiffer springs, you really need to change the struts, otherwise you're going to end up with a messed up ride. Springs and struts/shocks work together, and should be "matched" to each other. I don't know if Eibachs are stiffer or not, but if they are, then you should get the right struts to match them.

Of course, that assumes you can get the Eibachs at all... last I heard they were discontinued?

Secondly, as with most lowering/stiffer springs, you really need to change the struts, otherwise you're going to end up with a messed up ride. Springs and struts/shocks work together, and should be "matched" to each other. I don't know if Eibachs are stiffer or not, but if they are, then you should get the right struts to match them.

eibachs pair wonderfully with usdm struts. They are not your stiffer swifts, pinks, or anything like that. If he had said s-techs, oh boy.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Are you seriously considering taking advice from a shop that says "cut a progressive rate spring" to lower the car??

THAT IS NOT WORTH SAVING 250$ on a 25k+ car ??? We are not talking about a '88 VW rabbit here or a 67 mustang guys?

-mark

Yeah, I would agree, I have seen bad things happen with cut springs. It alters the spring rate and performance... Don't cut the springs, or if you must, sell your LGT, buy a 94 Civic, and use all that money in savings for something else :p

Cuting springs is dangerous, do not cut the springs. Also, as mentioned above, these are progressive rate springs, cutting them would cause them to underperform and possibly shatter leading to a possible punctured tire and a crash. Risking injury or lives isn't really worth the extra $150.00

One of my friends had one of his springs snap in his 02 Maxima (not cut or anything).

It took out his strut and sliced his tire all the way around. Probably did some more damage to the rest of the suspension, it's not back on the road yet so we don't know.

Although... the 'slammed' stance looked great.

Don't cut your springs.

eibachs pair wonderfully with usdm struts. They are not your stiffer swifts, pinks, or anything like that. If he had said s-techs, oh boy.
Gotcha... good to know... I wasn't sure about the Eibachs on this car, but I know they were lower/stiffer on my previous car, which is why I mentioned it.

Yes, the Eibachs working with the OEM struts was why I wanted them. Now I see they are discontinued by Eibach and made by another company.

Not quite true. Eibach has stopped producing them under their own label - eg, no longer doing production runs, carrying inventory etc. Probably wasn't enough demand to keep them as a standard offering/catalog item.

However, MSI has arranged for Eibach to do a custom run of the spring, to be sold as a custom label product. MSI's SPS kit IS the same Eibach Pro-Kit spring, with no changes, just 'private label'.

If you want Eibach's, your only options are to:

1. find a shop that still has old stock somewhere (good luck :))

or

2. to get in on MSI's current production run. Once MSI sells theirs out, you'll have to wait for another production run, which could easily be months if not longer.

MSI's group buy price is very good to boot.

Archived