LegacyGT.com

Lightened Flywheels

Does anyone have a lightened flywheel on their LGT?

I am looking to throw one in when I do my clutch next month, and am shopping around for one. So far the best I've found is the ACT Streetlite, 13.4lbs for $300. Anyone have experience with that flywheel or have experience with any other lightened flywheels?

Thanks!

A lightened flywheel is both a blessing and a curse... The little quicker rev's are nice for sure, but then you have to consider the higher RPM's you need to smoothly accelerate from a stoplight... If you do a lot of stop and go traffic, like I did... The lightened flywheel is the worst thing on earth. I tore through a clutch in 25k miles :S

Overall they can be just fine, but again, stop and go traffic everyday all day was not condusive to the LWFW. If you dont have that to worry about, get it and love it.

And just cause I can, I'll throw in the fact that I have a Spec LWFW for sale, just look at my sig ;)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Also probably will get gear rattle on deceleration. Sounds like big rocks in metal barrel being shaken.

I get that with my WRX flywheel with ACT clutch as well... I think it's a feature of aftermarket clutches and flywheels ;)

I have an ACT Prolight and Exedy Stage 2 Certametallic 3 puck clutch in my 6mt swapped Lego and it does it. But my car has only like 30 miles on it and just in those 30mi from my shop to my buddies shop it got noticeably less. I hope it goes away completely because it feels really chincy. I'll be going back to a stock flywheel when I do my EZ30 swap if it doesn't go away by then. Sad it made for a nice jump in acceleration and I love how fast it revs.

Johann @ Girodisc

I have an ACT Prolight and Exedy Stage 2 Certametallic 3 puck clutch in my 6mt swapped Lego and it does it. But my car has only like 30 miles on it and just in those 30mi from my shop to my buddies shop it got noticeably less. I hope it goes away completely because it feels really chincy. I'll be going back to a stock flywheel when I do my EZ30 swap if it doesn't go away by then. Sad it made for a nice jump in acceleration and I love how fast it revs.

Johann @ Girodisc

Could be wrong, but I think that the "clutch fork spring" mod will fix it... I have just been too lazy to do it. It doesnt bother me too badly really, but others it annoys to death. Do a search and see, worst case scenario is that it took you 15 min to do, and like $5 in materials.

I'll be going back to a stock flywheel when I do my EZ30 swap if it doesn't go away by then.

i used a 5 speed clutch/flywheel when i did my ez30 conversion, and it's the same as having a lightened flywheel, i would assume this is because the 6 speed flywheel is heavier...

but yeh, lots of revs to move away smoothly, especially with a Button clutch ;)

and if you're not careful and just clutch it from like 5000rpm and let the revs drop to idle, sometimes it'll stall... though that could be my tune...

Archived