LegacyGT.com

? about UP install

Jimmy78

Turbo does not have to be removed. Do a search in the walkthrough thread for up pipe install. Make sure you do it right cause, it's a bish of an install. That is why I had a shop do it. Mechanically inclined and i'll leave something like that up to a professional.

no turbo removal. remove the header or just the elbow on the passenger side of the header. I think it's easier to just remove the header itself.

Might help to jack up the motor a little bit, to get the old one out...new one should slide right in. Use new gaskets. It's not that bad of a job once you get in there.

DP off to access the uppipe bolts. Remove top uppipe bolts. Remove lower uppipe bolts. Remove 1 bolt from passenger side motor mount. Lift engine about 1-2 inches. Uppipe will fall out the bottom. Don't need the motor up for the new on to go in. Easier to remove the whole header/manifold then taking it apart. Watch the O2 sensor o the manifold. Leave the EGT sensor in the uppipe.

I have gotten 1 uppipe to come out the top without removing the turbo. All the others came out the bottom by lifting the motor a hair.

Like others said, do a install search. There are a few good threads with pix.

no turbo removal. remove the header or just the elbow on the passenger side of the header. I think it's easier to just remove the header itself.

Might help to jack up the motor a little bit, to get the old one out...new one should slide right in. Use new gaskets. It's not that bad of a job once you get in there.

EDIT: see post 15

Manifold does need to come out.

At least the passenger side.

I dropped the entire manifold before your uppipe. Then put in the uppipe, then the headers replaced the manifold, remember?

3 hours for the uppipe/downpipe/plugs is not too bad. Crack a cold one and enjoy.

Manifold does need to come out.

At least the passenger side.

I dropped the entire manifold before your uppipe. Then put in the uppipe, then the headers replaced the manifold, remember?.

I did not remember but I just looked at the pics of what we did and it is obvious that the manifold was off already. I think I was working on the bumper and turned around and was blinded by the awesome header gift! :lol:

yea i removed downpipe then went under removed manifold then unbolted up from turbo undid the engine mounts lifted motor up wit my bare hands while friend yankd up out..obviously usin a lift.:lol:

It is not obvious - MSprank and I did it by driving my car onto ramps and then using a floor jack to lift the motor. WARNING: If using this method make sure you have a nice tall floor jack to lift the motor (or plenty of wood)

EDIT: I have a $20 autozone floor jack - it only raises up so high

I don't like twisting and turning the pipe trying to find that perfect orientation for it to come out when you just pull the manifold.

I never seen to get the EGT out while in the car either. So it interferes.

I jack the motor up to give me the 1-2 extra inches I need to make sure I clear the cam covers. I do not want the pipe hitting the motor and damaging the cover.

It was a little tricky with Max's ramps and jack. But at my place using stands and my jack it takes no time at all to get the pipe out. Just did my dads 2002 WRX (uppipe, el headers and downpipe) in about 3 hours.

Archived