LegacyGT.com

Major problem's! Please help! 05 legacy turbo

Ok, so I just bought a Bone Stock 05 Legacy GT 2.5 Turbo Bone a few months ago and love it! Now a few days ago a heard a nasty rattle and tracked it to a broken bolt on the turbo and replaced it. At about the same time, I lost almost all power, as if it has 60hp, very bogged down. Then the smoke from the turbo area, and now a major oil leak spraying all over the exhaust causing tons of smoke. I also have a big exhaust leak by the turbo (sounds bad). The lines going to the turbo aren't leaking oil. Alot of oil in the Ic. I cant seem to find exactly where the oil leak is coming from, like it's buried. Where should I start? Why so little power? I figured that an exhaust leak would really throw off the ECM and cause all types of codes and the massive bogg down. I think the turbo is blown. Sorry if I come off as a noob, I'm actually a really good GM Mechanic, my first car other than GM, 1st turbo car. Thanks a mill.

Pulled codes and got

p0011 (reoccurring)

system too lean

timing advanced

a few others. I will post exact codes later

Ohhh man, I've been reading about the defective turbo's on these. Damn! Well looks like I'm doing the turbo. How big of a job? Anyone here do one themselves (im sure of it)? I need pics or MOD data on "how to" if anyone could provide that please. Where could I buy a turbo and how much are they? Could I rebuild mine? Much appreciated.

defective turbos? don't know about that. change your oil Q 3k miles and it should be fine. I lasted nearly 100k on my original before I changed it out.

I've got no mechanical skills what so ever and with the help of a friend here on the board we changed it out in under 2 hours. you can even go on youtube and type in rallitek turbo swap to get an idea of how to replace it. he offers up some good tips when re installing the new turbo too.

If mine went again for some reason I could do it myself now. it's pretty easy.

I also found a used one here with 18k on it for around $350.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Get a FSM (links can be found on this site) and follow instructions. Nothing too complicated for a car tech. Also check the health of the block (leakdown/compression/oil pressure) since blown turbos frequently kill the engine too.

When draining the engine let the oil pass a magnet. If you get shavings that you can feel on the magnet you have problems. If not it's probably only the turbo, but make sure that you clean out the engine thoroughly anyway and do a few short interval oil changes to make sure that you get out any possible metal particles that shouldn't be loose in the engine.

A magnetic oil plug won't hurt either. If you can't find one - make one: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128085

453747.png

How many miles on it? Do you know if it had been raced or tracked?

78k miles. I bought it from a 70 year old priest, Lol, I couldn't see him racing it around. He did oil changes every 3000 with mobil 1. I want to buy the turbo but not for a whopping $1100~! Thx for the help guys

^ Finally, we have a clean proof that Mobil1 kills engines that have not been abused! Cause we all know that priests are saints and only buy turbo cars to save some innocent souls from temptation and sin, lol.

Like I said, check the engine one way or another before you blow money on just the turbo.

78k miles. I bought it from a 70 year old priest, Lol, I couldn't see him racing it around. He did oil changes every 3000 with mobil 1. I want to buy the turbo but not for a whopping $1100~! Thx for the help guys

I don't really see a priest driving a Legacy GT around.

Are you sure that this car wasn't driven hard by some guy, and given to the parish when he wanted a tax donation?

Archived