LegacyGT.com

"New Record" or "I suck at life"

So I find my dream car (ok, my dream since about 2005) in a 2005 Legacy GT (auto wasn't in the dream but at least it's black!). I took it for a test drive on a Wednesday and bought it the next day. It ran so unbelievably smooth I swore it was a new car.

So 2 days later I was literally driving around my block when the oil light came on and about 5 seconds later my shiny new-to-me Subaru started up with a metallic clicking sound. :mad::confused::mad::confused:

I've been studying/admiring Subarus for a long time now (my NASIOC membership goes back to 2003) but I've never owned one. My background has been mostly with the Nissan 240sx/Silvia motors. I bought the LGT with the hopes that it would last for a very long time and get me through Penn's woods (literal translation for Pennsylvania :)) without any major problems.

To make a long story short the dealer I got it from ripped the motor out and found metal shards in the oil pan. I asked them if they looked at the oil pickup as I've heard numerous problems with them breaking off at the flange but the guy I talked to didn't think they looked at it. They also mentioned that they tried to source a working motor but they are pretty scarce.

Things to note:

1. Mileage was 89,XXX

2. Turbo was replaced with a new oem turbo shortly before I purchased the vehicle. I saw the service record and inspected the turbo (I'm wondering if I should still take care of that banjo fitting????).

3. Car was not purchased from a Subaru dealer but rather a well-known, large dealership in the Philadelphia area which has been around for over 75 years.

So my question is "Should I press on them about anything else?" I hate being a pain in the @55 because you get more flies with honey than vinegar.

Wow, two days and the motor frags on you. ((Stupid Question Alert)) Did you check the oil that day before the oil light came on? Any warranty at all on the car? Even one month or 1000 miles? Carfax? For what you spent/what you could be spending you should be a PIA if your wallet is going to get opened up for surgery.

Did they say what the metal shards were from?

My best guess is that the original turbo went out because of the banjo filter, and when they replaced it, no one checked the banjo filter, so the same gunk that blocked it and blew the first one stayed in and blew up this new one.

Next question is whether or not pennsylvania has a lemon law, which would allow you to return the car within a certain time frame of purchase because it crapped out on you.

Good luck in your search for answers and fixes.

It's cool; I'm with the band

lemon law normally doesnt pertain to used cars
Not necessarily... it depends on the state where the vehicle was purchased.

From http://www.carlemon.com/

Is a Used or Leased Car protected?

It depends upon which State the car was purchased or leased in. Some states include used and leased cars in their Lemon Law statutes. Some states have separate laws for used vehicles. Some states provide protection only for new cars. In some states, even the Attorney General is unable to tell you if a Leased vehicle is covered due to the way the law is phrased and you will be referred to an Attorney for clarification of the law. See the
and the
for your particular State to determine what is covered.

Did they say what the metal shards were from?

My best guess is that the original turbo went out because of the banjo filter, and when they replaced it, no one checked the banjo filter, so the same gunk that blocked it and blew the first one stayed in and blew up this new one.

Next question is whether or not pennsylvania has a lemon law, which would allow you to return the car within a certain time frame of purchase because it crapped out on you.

Good luck in your search for answers and fixes.

As per the gentleman that I have been speaking with, they are going to do an entire engine rebuild which includes sending it (I'm assuming the block) to a machine shop.

Wow, two days and the motor frags on you. ((Stupid Question Alert)) Did you check the oil that day before the oil light came on? Any warranty at all on the car? Even one month or 1000 miles? Carfax? For what you spent/what you could be spending you should be a PIA if your wallet is going to get opened up for surgery.

Yes, I checked the oil the night I test drove the car. I didn't see any signs that pointed to something of this nature.

They did indeed give me a 30-day warranty from the dealer and I will be purchasing a 24/24 warranty through an outfit called TotalCare.

rockle3

lemon law normally doesnt pertain to used cars

+1 in PA

Whoops... nevermind my previous post... looks like PA doesn't cover used cars. (I missed that the OP said he was in PA, before posting my bit... sorry!)

Here in MA, we are covered... which is why I posted initially.

Anyway, the OP says he got a 30-day warranty? That should cover it...?

As an ex-subie/mazda service writer, be very careful of the 3rd party warranty extension. Read all the fine print because they usually don't cover what actually breaks. and you get stuck with the tear-down/diagnostic charge and repair.

Turbo might have been replaced because of the bushing that holds the wastegate flapper in place (like mine and 4 or so others here) and not necessarily the banjo filter.

Tell them to double/triple check the pick up tube as you don't want the same to happen to the new engine and if any, buy the aftermarket one here and tell them that is to help them not see you again with the same problem.

If you check the oil and it had the proper amount and you got the light and then kaboom, the pick-up would be my first guess.

Good luck with all and get that aftermarket pickup if they agree to it.

Engines don't REALLY just randomly die 2 days after you buy them. That has to be about as likely as getting hit by lightning.

Possibly someone needed to get rid of that specific car at that specific moment for good reason. Or, the dealer screwed up something badly when fixing it up for sale. Something as simple as accidentally stacking two oil filter gaskets can blow an engine down the road. I saw that once. So, yes, push buttons.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

The dealer I got it from ripped the motor out and found metal shards in the oil pan.

The Turbo was replaced with a new oem turbo shortly before I purchased the vehicle. I saw the service record and inspected the turbo.

Engines don't REALLY just randomly die 2 days after you buy them. That has to be about as likely as getting hit by lightning.

Is it possible that the metal shards were from the previous turbo that possibly could have grenaded?

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/dr_evil.jpg

Probably to late, but there is a buyers remorse law. I wonder if that still works if your breaks down and you just want to say eff it.... Sorry to hear man and good luck. I think the dealer should feel obligated to help you out at least.

• 2 weeks later...

The lastest update really isn't much of an update. I still don't have the car back but they said that it might be done today.

I do have a few demands that I think they are going to aquiesce to. I figured that I've been more than patient and I have a few things comming to me to ensure a good client/dealer relationship.

Good Luck with it. Can you find out who did the sleeving ? Hopefully it was someone like Darton. Or at least a shop that has done them before.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't know if this is too late to do you any good, but I just bought a Spec B radio from a salvage company called Millenium Auto Sales. I found them off of car-part.com. Call them up at 586-336-9600 and ask for Frank. He's still got the entire engine AND THE 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION!

Archived