LegacyGT.com

Where do you park?

I drove by two front row parking spots this morning that would have most certianly caused door dings. The only place I'll park at work is if I can back into a spot with a curb on my driver side and no grass (ie 'sprinklers') anywhere near. The odds are that the car that parks next to me will have their passenger door nearest to me and I'll be safe from door dings. I park really close to the curb to maximize the distance between me and the next car over. With as thin as the sheet metal is on our doors it is worth it to take precautions. I've already got one ding that's going to cost 60 bucks to remove, I don't want any others. Call it anal if you want, but I'm not messing with door dings this time around.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I park as far left of my wife's car in the garage as I can. Her mercedes door fliess open, it's one of those kinds of lame doors that open so much before holding it's position. My Acura was way dinged up by her car. The legacy being not so fat, I have enough distance. At malls etc, I try to park away from their cars or do like you do, at least have 1 curb protecting.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I have reserved parking at work but I'm still really careful. We're all pretty good about it here. IBIgetadoordingtoday.

during the winter time I do the same. backed in at an angle. but there is grass on one side. durning grass cutting season I park in back and sometimes take up 2 spaces.

I can also look out the windows all day long and admire my car while I train my clients:D

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I do the same, I will park at the very end of the lot when shopping, Even if there is an empty lot I park at the end, I get yelled at everytime we go out. My fiancee says if I continue to do it we will take her Geo Metro instead. Yuck

I don't care where I have to park as long as its not near any grass. Sprinklers are the bane of my life. I still have some waterspots that I didn't get polished out when they decided to clear out the sprinkler pipes last month.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/160-6060_IMG.jpg

It wasn't just water. It was muddy hard water that made an absolute mess of the back of my car. I pitty the people who don't have good paint cleaners in their garage to clean that up with. If I got water spot damage from it with all the steps I take to protect my car, then the average Joe's car would have been hammered. So now its just curbs with no grass or else I park somewhere else. If I can't find a spot like that then I guess I'll just have to park even further away from the building in the south parking lot where nobody ever goes. Whatever it takes....

OCDETAILS BLOG

My wife got pissed at me one day when I told her when she drove my car she needed to park away from others and also not near the shopping cart holders in the parking lots. she looked at me like I was insane until I reminded her about the time she put a DEEP guage in the bumper of my 3 week old Outback. (couple years ago)
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Where I work, there's at least two other car geeks in our building. One drives a Ford Lightning, the other an spankin' new Audi A8L (damn hot car!). So, most of the time, we all park next to each other with at least one of us to a far curb. Kinda cool as we seem to have developed an unspoken respect for one anothers' cars - knowing none of us will ding the other!

Where I work, there's at least two other car geeks in our building. One drives a Ford Lightning, the other an spankin' new Audi A8L (damn hot car!). So, most of the time, we all park next to each other with at least one of us to a far curb. Kinda cool as we seem to have developed an unspoken respect for one anothers' cars - knowing none of us will ding the other!

Yeah. I try to park next to expensive cars if I can in the hopes that they will have more to lose by dinging my car! :D

It's amazing how people park sometimes. I parked in a half empty parking lot the other day with one space between myself and another car. I come back, the parking lot is still empty but someone parks right next to me in that spot! :mad: Oh well, the car won't look new forever, I guess.

Sometimes handicapped spots have a lot of space so parking next to them works almost as good as a curb.

tom

tom :)

Guest *Jedimaster*
I don't care where I have to park as long as its not near any grass. Sprinklers are the bane of my life. I still have some waterspots that I didn't get polished out when they decided to clear out the sprinkler pipes last month.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/160-6060_IMG.jpg

It wasn't just water. It was muddy hard water that made an absolute mess of the back of my car. I pitty the people who don't have good paint cleaners in their garage to clean that up with. If I got water spot damage from it with all the steps I take to protect my car, then the average Joe's car would have been hammered. So now its just curbs with no grass or else I park somewhere else. If I can't find a spot like that then I guess I'll just have to park even further away from the building in the south parking lot where nobody ever goes. Whatever it takes....

Hard water sucks. I still have hard water stains on the glass of my Trans Am- I got them off the paint, but the glass is almost etched in :eek:

I park as far away from the door as possible, NEVER next to an SUV or coupe (longer doors, more dingage possibility). So far, so good.

When parallel parking, I try to find a spot near a hydrant, to preclude the touch parking possibility, as well.

Man, are we freaks, or what?

Kevin

Guest JessterCPA

In this new office, if I am not here by 825am, I dont get a spot. So I will take what I can get for now.

Jesse

Guest *Jedimaster*
In this new office, if I am not here by 825am, I dont get a spot. So I will take what I can get for now.

Jesse

8:25? I'm officially late then :lol:

mutal agreement at work with rex owner, mazda 6 and acura tl owners.

if it unfamiliar territory i look for distant spots and if none in sight i go for parking between new/newer cars

I try to check my car on both sided and keep on a look out for any dings

I am afraid only when parking parallel in any city....those are high risk situations and i try to avoid them by looking for parking ramps

I try to park away from the car on the right cuz chances are that the car to my left wont have a passenger.

One mistake i made was not paying attention to a curb of a drive thru that scratched my rear left wheel...but not ugly....in fact u can barely see it unless i tell you.

also i noticed a fine scratch on the c -pillar and eagle 1 nano polish took care of it (on the 2nd attempt)

Now i gotta find a nice day to give it a good detailing as per OCD's instructions...thx OCD for all that info for clueless bishes like me...i feel enlightened

I was thinking about starting this exact same thread yesterday! :D

As for me I do what everyone here does: curb, park on the passenger side of a car, park far away etc. Also, to go along with avoiding old cars and SUVs, you should also avoid minivans at all costs. Children are the devil when it comes to not paying attention to other cars. After I bought my LGT I started paying attention to stuff like this and, wow, children just fling doors open.

Actually, if I had to choose between parking next to an F150 or a Dodge Caravan, I'd pick the Caravan (as most minivans have sliding doors!). Now, pick the drivers side in case an older child can ride up front in the passenger seat.

Parking can be a major "if-then" game!

just take up two parking spaces

sure people will think your an ass or that you cant park (ie. woman) ...lol, but at least no ones gonna park next to you, or they will be taking up two parking spaces as well

just take up two parking spaces

sure people will think your an ass or that you cant park (ie. woman) ...lol, but at least no ones gonna park next to you, or they will be taking up two parking spaces as well

That's when people end up keying your car.

damn yall are some anal people. i'll park anywhere. hell a couple of years ago i parked in the first spot by the door at a store. the first spot was the offical parking lot snow depository. the RF tire was sitting kinda ontop of the snow bank, LF was on the asphalt, RR was half on/half off. i didn't care b/c i only had to take 5 steps and i was in the door on a cold day. it's like someone said in another reply...they don't stay new forever.

Kenda

^^^^^Exactly. Either that or some dumbass will try to squeeze in anyway and make the damage even worse. I take up two spaces when I know that there is little to no risk of someone wanting to park next to me, but if it looks like people will fill up on both sides I just try to park as centered in the spot as possible. You never know who will park next to you. Some old steel beast with 5 foot long doors or perhaps a family in a minivan with doors on both sides. You never know....

OCDETAILS BLOG

They may not stay new forever, but that is no reason to rush the process. I don't want my car looking 5 years old in 6 months. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived