1. 1. KYB GR2 with upgraded spings

• Cobb Sports Springs
    • Swift Sport Springs
    • eibach springs
    • H&R springs
    • Tein S-Tech
    • Tein H-Tech
    • None of Above Posted below

GR2 are basically stock-valved struts. If you don't plan to change your springs, then they should be fine... otherwise, you should consider replacing the struts and springs at the same time. Always consider the springs + struts a "matched set".

JDM takeoffs are another nice option... I love my JDMs with Pinks... excellent setup.

+1 to this.. 2.5 years smooth as butter people say.

Or Konis are always good, but hacking up stock housings to put the cartridge in wasnt something i looked forward to

First question I would ask is what is the intended use of your car. If you don't plan on doing anything real agressive, drivingwise with your car, GR2s are a great value replacement stock strut setup. If however you have any intentions of upgraded springs later on, or performance driving or just all around great struts. The Konis are the way to go. I've had them on my car with stock springs and they performed great.

-mike

Tokicos are MORE money than the Konis? I've driven both and the Tokicos are good but not as good as Konis IMO. We generally will rate struts for the subies:

GR2- Stock Replacements

AGX- Slightly Upgraded and Adjustable Great "Low Budget" Adjustable

Tokico- Middle of the Road, Fairly upgraded from the KYBs

Bilstiens- Great non-adjustable upgrade

Konis- Best Non-Coilover you can get

-mike

Tokicos are MORE money than the Konis? I've driven both and the Tokicos are good but not as good as Konis IMO. We generally will rate struts for the subies:

GR2- Stock Replacements

-mike

Looking at the kyb catalog, I don't see that they make the AGX's for the legacy.

• 4 months later...

Although the Konis are more than he may want to spend I thought it important enough to add that Mikes' list is good but... what the list doesn't show you is just how much better. Where the Tokicos are (being overly simplistic here) maybe 2-3 steps above KYB, the Konis are 6-7 steps up in performance over anything KYB.

If you want the best for the least $ Konis are the way to go.

Over on Nabisco a few years ago was a very long post in the Motorsports section where they were posting and comparing shock dyno graphs. The Koni yellows were surprising everyone and they were very popular.

GR2- Stock Replacements

-mike

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

FWIW, the Koni's may be more money to buy and be real good, but don't they have some labor involved that is more then a simple bolt on ?

I'm not in the market yet, but I have a little checking.

Are the lesser dollar value shocks a bolt on ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, the Koni's may be more money to buy and be real good, but don't they have some labor involved that is more then a simple bolt on ?

I'm not in the market yet, but I have a little checking.

Are the lesser dollar value shocks a bolt on ?

At this point, there is enough of us on here, including myself who have installed the Koni inserts without any issues so if you need help, you know where to go.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

• 4 weeks later...
i had tokico hp struts on my wrx and loved them, pair them with h-tech springs and you have a decent setup imo. not sure if they have the hp's for the leggy but i would use them again. they are stiffer than the kyb's.

Indeed, but 2x the cost ... Some members are happy with the combinations.

Archived