LegacyGT.com

Need help in summer tire decision

RIPjeep2002

I am going to pull the trigger on a set of Rota Gravels, 18x8, +48. I am going to run 235/40/18. MY tire choice I was thinking about running was the Dunlop Direzza z1 Sport Specs.

What other tire's do you guys recommend? MY neighbor recommended the Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

I am looking for something that grips amazing on dry roads, but is resistant to hydroplaning on wet roads and I want good wet road handling as well.

I have it narrowed down to the following:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=34WR8Z1SS&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=34YR8K110XL&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Exclaim+UHP&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=34WR8EUHP&fromCompare1=yes

I do not autox, these are strictly for summer only tires. Looking for good tread life. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

If price isn't too much of an issue for you.. I'd look into the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. I'm riding them on my LGT Spec B. 225/40/18. 8K on them and they look new (9/32nds tread). I don't drive the car as spiritedly as I used to (10 month old baby on board). But when pushed, they stick, don't break loose without warning, handle better than the s-02s, s-03s and the re050s that I used to be super loyal to. Quiet, ride well, no darting, no lane drifting, best rain traction I've had yet. And will kick butt up to about 8 inches of snow as well, no slip, just grip. (of course I pushed my last set of s-02s thru 12" of connecticut snow with no going problems either).

and to boot, they come w/ a 50K treadwear warranty.. will I actually get that? probably not, but it will be nice to get some kind of credit towards new ones when the time comes..

Yeah. I hear yah. The General uhp has a pretty good tread wear rate 380 so in hoping yo get 3 summers out if it...

Next question is how do I store them in winter? They will be in a shed outdoors but the shed is not climate controlled so whatever the temp is outside the shed is. I have no rooms indoors so what is the best way to store them in the shed?

Starspecs are the way to go. I went with Kumho Ecsta XS in 245/35/18 (starspecs not available in this size) and they are very grippy, I autox on them.

Anyway, I clean them off before storing them for the winter, and I seal them in huge garbage bags. It supposedly helps prevent the rubber from aging in the dry, cold air.

Great post ^ i personaly like the hankook and yokohama S.Drives but over all you have 3 great tires to pick from good luck, and let us know what you pick.

also not sure on the tire storage thing, wonder if it possible to get the large storage bags that vacum seal.

like the ones on tv where they put in huge comforters/bedspreads in the bag and vacume seal it. might be an idea if the winter weather is that bad in your area?

Archived