LegacyGT.com

What to expect Stage 1

carguyco

Just wondering what to expect from Stage 1 and deciding if that is what I should do since I'm not quite ready for stage 2....I know I know, skip 1 go straight to 2...but what if I don't?

Will I have more low end boost or still long spool times?

Better MPG?

More torque?

Driveability?

I read on here that I would have a more driveable car..just looking for confirmation b4 I spend 300 bucks....

Thanks in advance..

Or you can seriously tell me to just go stage 2....but I'm interested in folks who only went stage 1

I have 38k on my car, have owned it less than a month...and I'm already itching for more ooomph.

The cost / return for stage 1 is very low.

You have to buy an Access Port regardless of stage (not strictly true... but is easiest route) which has the potential to be the single most expensive part.

As an '07, all you need to get is a downpipe to go stage 2, which adds only a bit extra to the total cost for noticeably more gains.

Thanks hook..I presumed so....

I know it makes way more sense to go with stage 2 right off the bat....I play to go opensource w/ infamous so no need for AP...

I'm just eager to get more out of my car....and winter is slow for car sales so no extra cash laying around and I don't use CC for this type of thing....ever.

As an '07, all you need to get is a downpipe to go stage 2, which adds only a bit extra to the total cost for noticeably more gains.

I have an 09 OBXT - what would I need to go straight to stage 2? Would this mod plus a stage 2 flash void any warranty??? Ballpark cost for a downpipe? And what else ought you to consider doing to the car - sways, shocks etc - along with stage 2 to get the most out of the car? Ballpark cost for this?

I know, lots of questions, but when you know next to nothing about something, asking questions helps you to learn . . . ;)

I have an 09 OBXT - what would I need to go straight to stage 2? Would this mod plus a stage 2 flash void any warranty??? Ballpark cost for a downpipe?

FREE!!! gut your first cat and if you want your second cat and your good then contact infamous. (this is the cheep way)

FREE!!! gut your first cat and if you want your second cat and your good then contact infamous. (this is the cheep way)

Instead of gutting the cat which I am sure would lead to emmissions testing failure, would you use a high flow cat? Would you see the same performance results?

Instead of gutting the cat which I am sure would lead to emmissions testing failure, would you use a high flow cat? Would you see the same performance results?

that would be about $300-500 depning on used/new and brand.

edit:

exsterminator im not trying to be sarcastic im just answering the guys pricing question.

that would be about $300-500 depning on used/new and brand.

edit:

exsterminator im not trying to be sarcastic im just answering the guys pricing question.

didn't notice any sarcasm, appreciating your responses.

would you recommend gutting both cats if I go cat-gutting route? or is only one needed to be gutted? would i pass an emissions test with one fully functional cat?

gut both for more power. but 1 if you want to pass and hate the smell. I dont know about your area but jersey only does obdii test for modern cars and several people passes emissions catless. ask others from your area. I know fisbone told me he gutted the first and then tuned.

gut both for more power. but 1 if you want to pass and hate the smell. I dont know about your area but jersey only does obdii test for modern cars and several people passes emissions catless. ask others from your area. I know fisbone told me he gutted the first and then tuned.

thanks again for the reply. so in summary - for me to be ready for a stage 2 tune, all I need to do is gut one or both cats? nothing else needed to run a stage 2 tune safely?

Stage 2:

There is much contorversy about what calssifies stage 2. I have been on these boards now for 2 years and I have seen many many different takes...

This is what the majority of members will agree with me on.

Stage 2 at a minumum: Cattless stock down pipe/after market down pipe. the key to stage 2 is either the stock catylatic converter is removed from the down pipe or a high flow or catless down pipe is added. You will also need to use COBB/TDC/PDX stage 2 map. WHY???? because you will need to eliminate your EGT (Electronic Gas Temperature) which monitors your exahuast temps. The Cobb/TDC/PDX maps will do this for you.

Stage 2 can also consist of: Catless up pipe, top mount intercooler, Dyno tune, ProTune, Under drive pulleys Cat back exhaust, Intake and certain turbo upgrades. REMEMBER, its not nessacarily the mods that make you a stage, it's the amount of mods and the correct combination. Wheel Horse power ratings usually range from 240 - 260 depending on your tune. COST

This really depends on what parts you buy... It can range from $400 - $2000

$400 = used access port and decatting your own stock DP. $2000+ if you buy all the parts listed

Stage 2.5:

Some members may disagree with me on this... but this is an in between point of stg 2 and 3. For stage 2.5 you need(at a minimum): Up pipe, Down Pipe, Top mount intercooler, COBB AP, DYNO or protune. Basically at this point you have maxed the potential of your stock turbo and Injectors (19.5 lbs of boost is the highest safe range with our turbos and injectors) this stage can also include Under drive pully, cat back exhaust, Intake. Wheel Horse Power ratings usuall go from 245-290 (max) with these mods, depending on your tune. At a minumum your gonna spend $2000+ for new parts. Again.. you can find all this stuff used for much cheaper.

taken from this thread which you probably read. Post # 6 Topic 10

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67940

would you recommend gutting both cats if I go cat-gutting route? or is only one needed to be gutted? would i pass an emissions test with one fully functional cat?

Gutting both as opposed to just the first will only gain you a few whp and the exhaust will be significantly louder and smell way worse. Even completely catless you will pass every emissions test unless your car is smog tested. (which may very well be the case in CA) Catless you'll fail the smog test, with one . . . who knows. Best you ask some tuned LGT owners in the state.

Thanks for all replies. Assuming I went stage 2 with only an ECU reflash and gutting a cat or two, will my stock parts be able to handle all the extra power at the wheels? Will I get the same longevity out of the stock parts or will they wear quicker? Ought I to consider improving some of the stock parts?

I ask because it seems in my case, I can go to stage 2 for the same cost as stage 1: tactrix cable and Infmaous e-tune. Sounds too good to be true . . .

JB weld the endtanks. stage 2 boost pressure will cause them to blow.

everything else will be fine.

you can slowly start improving your suspension too. ie sways

you can also start looking for a catback if you want louder boxer rumble.

you can look into brakes. you need to stop the extra power. better pads are very important. but you can do that when its needed. or you can do an LGT brake swap but still get better pads. Most would recommend Hawk HPSs. i agree. or even a BBK.

Archived