LegacyGT.com

What sparking devices do you use in a 2.5

Hey all, ( Anyone know the gap? )

Looking for info on spark plugs. The old 96 Outback is only getting 14 mpg,so I thought maybe it needs new plugs.

Anyone have any input as to what brand may work better than another.

I've been using NKG brand for years in a lot of imports without any problems,but when I saw that they now cost almost 8 bucks each, I thought maybe someone has used a less expensive brand with good results.

Now I'm not talking about using Champion brand. Those plugs only work in lawn mowers and outboard motors,IMO.

So,any ideas out there for a decent plug that will last a couple of years for around 4 or 5 bucks each?

Anyone ever use Bosch plugs in a Subie?

Any ideas if there might be another problem that I should be looking for?

Never had this kind of a problem with a Subaru before. And I've had a lot of Subaru's.

Thanks for any help.

I hear nothing but bad things about bosch plugs. Mostly about misfiring when installed. Not really sure about Champion plugs.

I have no idea where you are buying plugs, cause I just bought NGK v-powers for 4.00 each! Performance wise they perform better, but the do not last as long as platinum or iridium. I would say 25-30,000 miles

Be sure to get new wires if you have not changed them out. I am running Magnacor 8.5mm competion wires. NGK 8mm are good too.

Thanks,

Things are kind of spendy here. No Autozone just NAPA, American autoparts,and a Checker that has prices close to the dealer. Gets old hearing "its gotta come from the mainland dude" "That's why it cost so much" Right. They have you, because by the time you buy on line and pay for shipping...well,you get the picture.

I'll check around some.

Thanks for the heads up on the Bosch plugs.

I use Bosch Platinum 2's in my Subaru with no misfires and no issues.

For hemispherical chambers and pentroof chambers (Like the Subaru) I use the Bosch Platinum 2's, and for wedge heads and everything else find the single electrode Platinum's work great.

You have any experience with the Platinum 4's?

I'm running bosch fusion's which is something like the 4 except higher end. a little pricey, but I got a mail-in rebate of like $10! They're awesome, much better than the NGKs that we were running. Much better fuel economy, no misfires, no issues. That's in my EJ22 though, so i'm not sure how much help that'd be.

Well I pull one plug for a look and the plug was in really good condition. Only very minor carbon on it and I'd expect to find this on any plug with a couple of thousand miles of usage. If the rest of the plugs are in this condition, I doubt that plugs are a reason for the poor mileage.

The plug is an NKG "R" # BK R6E. Is this the correct plug for a plain Jane 2,5?

I haven't a manual for this car, so I'm kind of flying blind here.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks

Archived