LegacyGT.com

What to Buy with a $1000

stealitall

Best options for first time Bear Bone Build's  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Best options for first time Bear Bone Build's

I was thinking Struts F/R because I don't think they were ever changed for 76k miles . But I know I need brakes so that's $155 for Hawks HPS F / R . But I was Kinda thinking of Invidia Down Pipe and Tune and more likely need tranny Cooler.

So give me some hints thnks...:spin::spin: Forgot 2005 Legacy GT 5EAT

$845 Left

Hawks F / S- $155

Is the car bone stock? I think the most pressing problem with our cars is the soft suspension. My .02:

1. Tires

2. F+R Swaybars

3. Cobb AP

4. Exhaust

5. Spring, struts

6. UP/DP and tune

You've gotta ask what are your personal priorities? Im of the school that power is useless if you can't control it. But it all comes down to what YOU WANT, not what we suggest. Come up with a wish list in order and work your way down. That said, I wouldn't go straight for power without tires and sways at the least. Enjoy

Yea its Bone.:lol:

Woah woah woah woah... I guess I just assumed. I want to change my original stupid stage 2 suggestion to:

TIRES $400-500

stage 1 tune $200

Hawk HPS Pads $160

Struts F&R $200-300

Just don't waste your money on an AP when you are on a tight budget like yours.

with $845, AP and Tune are going to pretty much wipe you out. Id get some suspension stuff, F/R sways and springs. Of course you can save buying things used over new then could always get A/P or start with a Downpipe until you have some more cash. Thats just how id go

O by the way I did get new tires but there still stock size Thow. 215/45/17

But LosAngelesLGT are you talking about new or used Struts F&R only because new stock's are

like 100+ and I figured it be way better to upgrade?

But LosAngelesLGT I will make it a poll just need more Ops.

With $845 left I would go:

Rear sway bar- $150 used for an AVO or Perrin

Gut your own downpipe- free

Vag-com cable - $20 ebay

Infamous basic stg 2 tune- $125 (i think?)

Total- $300

Then with $545, that should be enough to find you a decent set of tires. Keep an eye out on NASIOC classifieds, there's usually a pretty good deal once in a while on barely used tires ($300-400). Tirerack also has closeout sales when new models come out.

If you have $200 left, I would go with some used springs.

If you only have $125 or so, I would go with AVO LCA bushings or a Short Throw Shifter .

That was the set up I used for a long time, and it was a blast to drive. Have fun with your build!

You've gotta ask what are your personal priorities? Im of the school that power is useless if you can't control it. But it all comes down to what YOU WANT, not what we suggest. Come up with a wish list in order and work your way down.

I definitely agree with this. I know there are a lot of things on my 'want' list for this car, but they aren't all in the budget right now. The things that bug me the most are the sloppy drivetrain (5MT) and wanting to tighten up the suspension. Big power isn't a concern for me, but I certainly wouldn't mind a nice bump in power, especially in the midrange. If I had to start from scratch, my list would look like this:

1. Quality fluids/plugs/filters/etc. (i.e. make sure you're starting with the best foundation for your mods)

2. Tires

3. Swaybar(s) (just adding a larger rear swaybar is a big upgrade)

4. STi engine/transmission mounts, shift bushings

5. Opensource stage 1 or 2 tune, UP and DP if going stage 2

6. Shocks/springs/coilovers/etc.

I know a high quality motor or transmission oil doesn't get most pulses racing like installing a 20g or shiny exhaust pieces, but I found out the hard way in my younger days on a 944 turbo how important of a 'mod' these things can be. Maybe I'm just getting too old and pragmatic. :) After thinking about this and driving my LGT for awhile, my upgrade list looks eerily like my list for my former 2.5RS and Forester. Though the LGT is certainly a few steps ahead to begin with.

You will likely need a 60k service if you didn't do it yet.

You will likely need LCA Bushings if you didn't do them yet, they are a maintenance item on LGTs.

Your struts are likely shot.

As you already stated, you'll need brakes.

Tires, Brakes, Suspension and Maintenance items should be tops on your list. Before adding power always get the handling, stopping and maintenance items done...

After that before any power is added to an Automatic, you should always get a good Automatic Trans Cooler installed and when you have your maintenance done, put in Amsoil High Temp Synthetic ATF or High Temp Redline ATF.

-mike

I agree with AZP. Replace the brakes and while you are at it may be go with SS lines and definelty replace the fluid. Trans service if it required. LCA bushings are shot, replacing all LCA bushings with at least STi bushings will be about 100 bucks in parts. Your shocks are at the very least worn and should be replaced soon. Konis are a good way to go and you might get lucky and find someone selling a set barely used.

OK who sells SuperPro bushing and should I replace Front Control Arm Lower, Front Bush or Front Control Arm Lower, Inner Rear Bush. Would it be ok for the mean time if I got Koni Sports and used stock springs or that not a good Idea??? O yea one thing I was wondering about sway bars should the rear be bigger than front??

I have had great success with both AVO and Whiteline bushings.

I also have run stock 70k mile springs on Konis and the improvement was great. I eventually went to STi Pinks w/Group N Mounts and Konis but the Koni's alone were worth it.

For sways, I really like to keep them the same size unless you wanted to induce more tail-happiness. I like a balanced car for the street and road-track driving I do with my car. I put on the Whiteline Adjustable front and rear sways so I could vary them if I needed to dial in more or less understeer.

I see you are up in the Poconos. We are probably about 2hrs away from there if you were interested in getting us to install/purchase the parts. We can get Whiteline, AVO, and even the SuperPro stuff if need be. We actually have a set of the Konis in stock as well.

Let us know if we can help.

-mike

Some good advice here; know your car is in good maintenance and make sure you can control it before adding power.

I got my car w/ 55k miles, came with fresh brakes and tires. First things I did were the standard 60k service including ExtraS diff fluids. A used JDM rear sway and JDM bilstein struts assembled w/ swift springs. Then a used LGT catless UP and CobbAP for Stg1. Bunch of bushings, brackets, odds and ends thrown in there along the way. Its been a well rounded and healthy car.

Now approaching 100k miles, just redid all my maintenance including brake pads/fluid. I have a crucial shorty DP and like new VF40 waiting for Stg2 :), going on as soon as I do timing belt service.

• 10 months later...

Archived