LegacyGT.com

Rust in 2 months!

boosted subaru

So i went to wash my car today and get all the dirt and scum from my recent drive to the mountains. In doing this i found that my cx-raceing exhaust (the ebay one) i had just put on was rusting already. :spin: I guess that what i get for going cheap. I just wanted to no everyone elses experience with this exhaust is theres rusting too, or am i alone? I expected even cheap stainless steel to hold up better then this. I'm alittle dissapointed. I guess ill have to sand it down and spray it with high temp clear coat.

nope you are not alone. CX lightning CBE is the same as the X02 CBE, which had rusting problems that are pretty well documented here (mainly in the GB or vendors classifeds subforum)

Ya i should have done alittle more reaserch especially knowing where i live the the way the roads are but i was on a buget at the time and this was the more affordable choice. I guess i just rust proff it and live with it.

It is stainless. No one ever said stainless does not rust. Just that stainless keeps the rust from penetrating deeper and is easy to clean off. Which is what you are supposed to do.

If you live in an atmosphere that is detrimental to steel, you need to wash more. You also need to perform maintenance and polish those cans up.

Even my SPT got spotted in NYC and I washed it at least once a week even in freezing weather.

Several times I went to use the self serve wash to find the hose frozen. Back home to wash with hot water from my pressure washer (low setting cleans the undercarriage real nicely). But then you have to grease your sway bushings all the time too.

If you want anything to stay nice in the snow/salt it is a labor of love.

It is stainless. No one ever said stainless does not rust. Just that stainless keeps the rust from penetrating deeper and is easy to clean off. Which is what you are supposed to do.

If you live in an atmosphere that is detrimental to steel, you need to wash more. You also need to perform maintenance and polish those cans up.

Even my SPT got spotted in NYC and I washed it at least once a week even in freezing weather.

Several times I went to use the self serve wash to find the hose frozen. Back home to wash with hot water from my pressure washer (low setting cleans the undercarriage real nicely). But then you have to grease your sway bushings all the time too.

If you want anything to stay nice in the snow/salt it is a labor of love.

I agree, it does need to be maintained better because of the enviorment the car travels in. I didnt want to come off like i was complaining, i like the exhaust and for the money paid i dont think it can be beat. That is why i have sanded the exhaust down with fine sand paper and clear coated the cans with high temp clear coat seems to be the fix for me! ;) no more rust!

I use 'EAGLE ONE CHROME & WIRE CLEANER' on my magnaflow mufflers (as recommended by magnaflow). It's got an acid component that will clean up mild surface corrosion etc. Works really well. Spray it on and leave it for 30secs then hose it off. I usually brush it on and scrub it a bit. That really does the trick.

none on the cans for me, just a little on the Y pipe and mid pipe, I use mothers metal cleaner about once every 3 months and try to wash it at least once every two weeks. I agree though, I can put up with a little extra maintanence for that price, plus it keeps em shiny :)

I bought the GMS CBE, assured that it was made from higher quality SS...rusting after 1 month :|

Apparently, it is exactly the same as the X02 exhaust. I should've saved my money.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I bought the GMS CBE, assured that it was made from higher quality SS...rusting after 1 month :|

Apparently, it is exactly the same as the X02 exhaust. I should've saved my money.

Hmmm... so that pretty much confirms what we thought. They are the same. Anyhow, cxlighting also states 304 Stainless too so no surprise there.

Bottom line, it's pretty much cosmetic surface corrosion. Not pretty to look at but really shouldn't affect it much.

I haven't mounted my cxlighting exhaust yet but I have put a couple coats of clear high temp clear header paint on it. If, after I have it on for awhile and it really starts to get rusty etc, I'll clean it up and repaint it - potentially black, perhaps silver.

The surface corrosion you see should clean up pretty easy however. Granted, its a bit of work but it should clean up nicely with stuff like the Eagle One Wire Wheel Cleaner I posted earlier. It does a good job keeping my Magnaflow mufflers shiny.

Archived