LegacyGT.com

Tons of power steering squeal

I'm pretty sure the accessory belt setup is the same between the non-turbos and turbos. I've got around 5/32" or 4mm of space between the bolt head and my ps belt.

I wonder if the belt is being overtightened? Maybe check the belt deflection to make sure it's not too tight. The link below shows how/where to check that.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3173288&postcount=8

The part number on my belt is 5PK875 (875mm long)

belt.thumb.jpg.95b106fa34e244789003822327824d1d.jpg

I'm pretty sure the accessory belt setup is the same between the non-turbos and turbos. I've got around 5/32" or 4mm of space between the bolt head and my ps belt.

I wonder if the belt is being overtightened? Maybe check the belt deflection to make sure it's not too tight. The link below shows how/where to check that.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3173288&postcount=8

The part number on my belt is 5PK875 (875mm long)

The part number on mine is the same but the distance to the bolt head is almost non-existent. The mechanic thinks it is undertightened if anything... Would it squeal if it was overtightened? I guess I should try installing a new belt...

20180621_194303.jpg

after changing my timing belt and putting accessory belts back on, my p/s belt is the same as yours mbm.

Before taking it off there was no problem, but now it squeels in the morning and power steering is intermittent (as if the belt is just slipping over the pump) can't tighten it anymore or it'll shred on the bolt. I'm waiting for a day off to take it off and see if the auto parts store can match it to a slightly shorter belt.

Very interesting and strange problem.. I'm not sure about squeal with the belt overtightened. Probably unlikely, but I'm just a regular diy guy, not a pro.

After doing a little googling, the only other thing I'm thinking is that maybe the alternator is pivoted down too far, and needs to be pulled up, even if only a little bit.

Very interesting and strange problem.. I'm not sure about squeal with the belt overtightened. Probably unlikely, but I'm just a regular diy guy, not a pro.

After doing a little googling, the only other thing I'm thinking is that maybe the alternator is pivoted down too far, and needs to be pulled up, even if only a little bit.

That's what it sounds like, but it sounds like that's not possible since the adjustment bolt (that controls the pivot of the alternator) is colliding with the belt?

My legacy is the first car I've ever replaced an accessory belt on, so I'm far from an expert in this area. The way I remove and put my ps/alt belt on might not be the correct way. In addition to the lock bolt near the adjusting bolt, I loosen the pivot bolt on the right side so that the alternator can freely move up and down when loosening and tightening the belt. Maybe I don't have to touch that bolt? I'm wondering of maybe that bolt is too tight, and it's not allowing the alternator to go all the way up? Or maybe there's light corrosion that's not allowing the alternator to go up all the way? I'm not sure, I'm just thinking that pivot bolt on the right might be the reason why this is happening..

A picture of how my alternator sits in relation to the ps pump bracket, adjusting bolt, etc.

alt.thumb.jpg.e81285f0af85c98ad470fefb98c4cfd8.jpg

My legacy is the first car I've ever replaced an accessory belt on, so I'm far from an expert in this area. The way I remove and put my ps/alt belt on might not be the correct way. In addition to the lock bolt near the adjusting bolt, I loosen the pivot bolt on the right side so that the alternator can freely move up and down when loosening and tightening the belt. Maybe I don't have to touch that bolt? I'm wondering of maybe that bolt is too tight, and it's not allowing the alternator to go all the way up? Or maybe there's light corrosion that's not allowing the alternator to go up all the way? I'm not sure, I'm just thinking that pivot bolt on the right might be the reason why this is happening..

A picture of how my alternator sits in relation to the ps pump bracket, adjusting bolt, etc.

You're correct, that bolt should be loosened to adjust the alternator position. The alternator won't pivot otherwise, but likely you wouldn't be able to tighten/loosen the adjustment bolt freely, since it would just be trying to push/pull on the alternator housing. But that said, IIRC the bolt the alternator pivots on doesn't go through a slotted hole or anything, so that point is fixed (and it rotates about the center of that bolt hole).

For comparison, here's a shot of my LGT. You can see how much space I have between the adjustment bracket and the underside of the belt here. I'm also leaning towards wrong belt, myself.

http://i.imgur.com/xlex6ZKl.jpg

Pardon any misspelling or formatting, on mobile.

IMG_20180624_124043.thumb.jpg.0a23c0bac7b6bd31afa9bd049fe4b08f.jpg

As you can see the before, the bolt was millimeters from rubbing.

Went to the auto store with my current belt and the guy was super helpful and found a bunch of belts that matched grooves and just slightly different sizes, i settled on a continental that was just a little bit smaller.

Part: 4050340

Size: 5pk0865

The continental has thicker ridges than the dayco, so it is a pain to put on fresh, i had to unbolt the alternator completely to have enough slack. Once on its a matter of tightening and tensioning.

IMG_20180624_132431.thumb.jpg.6b57e8961cee5bfc8e44670b15e17b14.jpg

The new belt puts the alternator bolt much lower.

No more squeel or sloppy steering!

The flaking black paint on the ps pump makes me think you have a reman pump. Even though the issue is now fixed, I did measure my old PS pulley today. With a dial caliper I measured 107mm, and I think it said that was 4.21". Also decided to take a pic of the pulley with a little ruler on top. Just in case you ever get bored or curious and want to measure yours.

1134758821_pspulley.thumb.jpg.575fd08ac4fd0ea90a70d5b8931f9059.jpg

• 1 month later...
So, I went ahead and replaced the what I believe was an OEM belt with a brand new DAYCO (part 5050345). When I had the old belt out I compared it with the new one and the new one definitely looked a little bit smaller. I installed it and the problem is completely gone. The bolt is still very close to the belt, which I think is wrong but at least it is now working properly. When I have a chance I will measure the P/S pully size.

Archived