LegacyGT.com

first tank of fuel in the LGT...wow

I was worried when I bought this car that i wouldn't get fuel mileage in the 20's after reading all the posts....I bought it anyway and wondered how badly I would miss my Honda Accords 27mpg...

First tank of fuel the computer said 24.8...I didn't believe it.

I did the math today after filling up with 91....24.02!!!

I drive from my house at 9100 ft in altitude..down the pass to work 19.7 miles to 6000 ft in altitude and back...

Plus take the kids to school going up from 9100ft to approximately 9600ft and back....

I am very happy with the fuel mileage....and the extra cost in fuel doesn't hurt as bad as long as you don't do the long math...

Very happy overall...

The only time I get close to 24 is when I'm out on the highway at like 65-70. I'm running around 17-18 cruising through the city. There are definitely times when I miss my 02 Camry which had a 20 gallon tank and got 24+ city and 30+ highway.

I always compare the premium prices now ($2.75-$2.90 lately) to the regular unleaded from 2 years ago ($4+) and don't feel bad at all.

It's cool; I'm with the band

The only time I get close to 24 is when I'm out on the highway at like 65-70. I'm running around 17-18 cruising through the city. There are definitely times when I miss my 02 Camry which had a 20 gallon tank and got 24+ city and 30+ highway.

I always compare the premium prices now ($2.75-$2.90 lately) to the regular unleaded from 2 years ago ($4+) and don't feel bad at all.

If we are going to wax fondly about mpg my 89CRX 1.5 got 40+mpg all day long.

^^^So does my beater 92 civic. Mileage in the legacy is poor from what I used to get in my GTI too. I beat on that car and I still got 30+ on the hwy and 24+ in the city. It's been really difficult adjusting my driving style in the legacy to get better mileage. I just love boost. Thats my problem.

The Legacy is the only car I've ever had that I can easily do better then the EPA. A long stretch of only highway driving and I've done upwards of 30 MPG.

Regular, long term day to day driving averages out to around 22 MPG for me.

Yea, I average about 23/24 mpgs, mixed driving. I didn't even know the EPA ratings until I read this thread. I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised. On my 500 mile trip from Vegas to San Francisco I got 28.5 mpgs, and that was with four people in the car and the trunk packed full with luggage.

Unless you drive on the highway in 4th gear, you can easily get excellent highway mileage out of a turbo. I used to have a 98 awd eagle talon that could get in the 30s on the highway when cruising at 75-80mph.

The 3.6 also gets surprisingly good mileage at highway speeds.

Stage 1 is also probably the worst for economy.

Stage 2+ at least, even though it's more power it's also freer flowing which improves MPG.

That's true, mine is stage 2 and averages a whopping 18.7mpg:lol:

The only reason I'm even considering stage 3 is to break into the 20mpg club:cool:

I thought stage 3 was basically a bigger turbo and bigger injectors. I feel like that would hurt your mileage. Stage 2 is less constricted/higher flow with a CBE, and high flow UP and DP, and an intake.
It's cool; I'm with the band

I thought stage 3 was basically a bigger turbo and bigger injectors. I feel like that would hurt your mileage. Stage 2 is less constricted/higher flow with a CBE, and high flow UP and DP, and an intake.

you take longer to build boost vs me being max psi before 4k. That avo actuator is not mpg friendly.

hmm.. perhaps I should have been a bit more obvious in my sarcasm:confused:

:lol:

*edit to avoid becoming a post whore* yes, theoretically you should see a slight increase in fuel economy due to a freer flowing engine. I was actually around 17.7mpg at stage 1, so I honestly did see a slight increase. The thing is most people who go stage 2+ aren't in the habit of tooling around town at 1/4 throttle to see these benefits. Speaking for myself, the more power I have behind that pedal the harder it is to resist pushing it further down. Why else did you pay all that money?

The boxer just naturally doesnt get as good mpg turbo or not.

Well...I noticed a 2010 Legacy CVT (non turbo) at the dealer with an EPA sticker 23city/31highway. I think the same as current Accord and AWD to boot on Subie.

Just don't believe the computer mpg. It consistently shows about 2-3 mpg better than I calculate. I get about 20 in the city and 26 over the road.

mine is the opposite. It tells me I have 20 miles left till empty and I went about 50 miles to the gas station of choice.

The boxer just naturally doesnt get as good mpg turbo or not.

No big difference between a boxer and another engine configuration.

And comparing the 2WD Toyota Avensis with the AWD Subaru you will get about the same figures from both with similar engine size.

453747.png

Archived