LegacyGT.com

Question about the clutch

Hey guys, I just got my first car with a manual transmission the other. A 2.5RS :) It has an issue though. I was learning to drive it last night when the clutch suddenly fell all the way to the floor. After a moment of prodding it came back up and proceeded to work fine for the rest of the night. I dont know much about manual transmissions...well...practically nothing, but there is something like a cable connected to a (linkage?) and there's a piece rolling around inside of there, but I dont know what it's called. It's unfortunate *sigh* Does anyone know what this piece is called? I'm sure it will need replaced and I'd appreciate any help you guys could give. If no one knows I can try and take pictures tonight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/TetsuoShima/DSC_0008asd.jpg

Thanks guys :D

The clutch works more like the brakes than a cable driven system. It is true that some older or cheaper cars use cable clutches, but most vehicles as of the early to mid 90's use hydraulic ones.

The Legacy you own is a hydraulic system. When you press on the clutch pedal, there is a linkage which drives a piston through a cylinder (Clutch Master Cylinder), compressing hydraulic fluid. This hydraulic fluid travels through a steel line into another, smaller cylinder (Clutch Slave Cylinder) mounted on the side of the transmission with a linkage that connects to the clutch. When the fluid is forced out of the master cylinder into the slave cylinder, it pushes on another piston, disengaging the clutch. Chances are the problem is not related to air bubbles trapped in the lines, because you would certainly notice that. If it were air the clutch would feel spongy and inconsistent, similar to the brake pedal when air is in the lines. Plus, the clutch would probably not disengage fully when you press on the pedal. The problem is probably with the linkage under the dash that connects the pedal to the master cylinder. Take a look and make sure it operates freely. If it makes you feel better you can take it apart and grease up any pivot points. If this doesn't solve the problem it's most likely a problem with the clutch articulation, but I wouldn't worry about it until you go to replace the clutch. Chances are if the problem is with the clutch it will work itself out with heat caused by normal driving.

I would still check the clutch fluid if I were you. There is a small reservoir mounted on something that looks like a mini version of the brake master cylinder mounted on the firewall under the hood. Remove the cap and make sure it has enough fluid. If not, add the correct fluid as stated on the cap. Generally it requires DOT 3 or similar brake fluid, but there are variations from manufacturer to manufacturer. If the reservoir is completely empty you must bleed the lines in much the same way you would a brake system, only the clutch is far less complicated seeing as how there are only 2 components. Bleed the master first, then the slave.

Have fun, that looks like a sweet ride!

Yeah, a friend of mine and I dove into it last night and took it all apart. Like you said, there wasn't air in the system and the reservoir was full. I saw the hydraulic cable that you were talking about as it was dripping fluid all over my engine lol He said the master cylinder seals were bad and that I should go ahead and replace the slave at the same time so I figure we'll give it a shot and it should correct the problem :D I'm using some kind of Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3/4 brake fluid so it should cover it. I appreciate all the insight man!

"linkage under the dash that connects the pedal to the master cylinder."

I'll be checking this before I replace those though since it might save me some money...if they'll let me even return those parts.

Yep, Bunchies is a Walama...it was something some guy came up with a few years back. Good times lol

Archived