LegacyGT.com

Fully independent fogs lights

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

DEERKILLER - PROPS TO YOU FOR YOUR INFORMATION!!!

I did your mod this afternoon. It works brilliantly. I wanted to do this so I could run HID's in my H3 fogs and have them not keep turning on and off with the high beams (it is bad enough that my high beam HIDs have to suffer like that!)

I am now running 6 HIDs on the front of my LGT, the projectors are a horrible (long story) retrofit using TLs. Those are coming out soon in favor of the more appropriate sized FX projectors. The high beam reflectors are selectable to come on or off with the high beams in the bi xenon projectors (I only use these on the back roads when looking for deer) and now the fogs are running HID too.

For ballasts, I am running varible 35-70 watt custom moded Densos on the TL Bi Xenons, and the 9005 reflectors and standard Densos for the H3s. Generally I do not really turn up the power on the main lights unless I am in BFE (I live in a rural area with a LOT of wild life that likes to jump out at you at night... these lights are NOT city use lights, ever - only when there is no chance of blinding oncoming traffic)

Anyway... thank you again for sharing this valuable information. I really appreciated it.

Here are some pics snapped a few minutes ago after buttoning up the H3 install:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/lEGACYhid5.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/LegacyHID4.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/LegacyHID3.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/LegacyHID2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/phisch13/LegacyHID1.jpg

Drew

• 1 month later...
Hey all,

Would Deer Killer's fog mod work if I disabled the DRL's?

So basically, if I disable the low beam DRL's and perform the fog mod, will the end result be that the fogs will be the only lights on?

Thanks

yes it does. I did that. the fogs will be on when your parking lights are on (or headlights) and the fog switch is on. Pretty significant mod for lighting control. It allows me to cruise around w/ just my HID fogs on with the parking lights. How I roll, pretty much all the time. Looks neat-o IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Question on the last step of this mod in John's description, located here:

http://www.moojohn.com/subaru/fogmod.html

John says "You want to "tap into" this wire, not leaving it disconnected on either end. "

Does this mean you use a wire tap connector, or can you just cut the purple wire completely and squeeze both the purple and new wire (red in John's illustration)from Fog Relay into a regular connector?

Just want to make sure, otherwise this mod looks fairly easy. Should prove worthy on overcast mornings/days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finished through step 4 today along with the one click unlock hack....

that's all i can handle today, maybe i do the other step later.

i kind of like the fogs being off when i click on high beams, i get flashed for brights alot and i like the distinction of the fogs going off and the brighter light when i flash morons back.

Thank you everyone for the pictures and great instructions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Finished through step 4 today along with the one click unlock hack....

that's all i can handle today, maybe i do the other step later.

i kind of like the fogs being off when i click on high beams, i get flashed for brights alot and i like the distinction of the fogs going off and the brighter light when i flash morons back.

Thank you everyone for the pictures and great instructions

unless you connected a new ground, your fogs should still go off when you put in the high beams- same as it used to be-right?

right, unless you do the final step i think it was, it works the way it was before. there is a version of the mod that makes them fully independant or with parking lights or something like that. where you can have on your brights and fogs.

i chose not to do that version

• 4 months later...
Stupid question- I have an '07 and the hood release cable is in the direct path of the bolt I need to remove to get the panel off from under the steering wheel. There's no way I can fit the socket under there, what's the trick?

I have the same car and I haven't run into that problem....and my dash has been apart more times than I care to remember! :lol:

Can you post a pic with areas designated as to what you're talking about?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

this step: Start by removing the panels under the steering wheel. There is a 10mm bolt under the hood release latch and a phillips screw on the other side near the console. Pull the bottom black panel off, then pull out on the trim below the steering wheel. It will snap out. Then remove the underlying metal plate which is held in with two 10mm bolts.

I can try and get a picture when I get home, but essentially the bolt I'm looking at is directly above the hood release latch, but the cable is between the bolt and my driver.

this step: Start by removing the panels under the steering wheel. There is a 10mm bolt under the hood release latch and a phillips screw on the other side near the console. Pull the bottom black panel off, then pull out on the trim below the steering wheel. It will snap out. Then remove the underlying metal plate which is held in with two 10mm bolts.

I can try and get a picture when I get home, but essentially the bolt I'm looking at is directly above the hood release latch, but the cable is between the bolt and my driver.

Alright, I have 2 tool suggestions, no 3, 3 tools suggestions:

1. crow's foot socket

2. ratcheting monkey wrench

3. sawzall.

last one is a joke, obviously :lol:. But I have to ask, why, if you are in the independent fog light thread, are you taking that off?

I've never taken that off and have no DRLs, independent fogs per this very thread (thanks DK!) and have hardwired my radar detector through my cig lighter and mounted the detector at the top of my windshield.

:confused:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I'm using the Moojohn write-up, I want my foglights to be switched on independantly.

Oh. Good luck!