LegacyGT.com

Fully independent fogs lights

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vamps are great - but look around/ask around a bit, and see if you can't get some "T"-taps. These are very like vamps, but instead of having to insert the tap wire "parallel" to the original and working the tap that way (which can get very awkward in tight spaces), the T's have a spade connection, allowing a simple two-step "clamp and then plug" connection.

:)

With the guides here by DeerKiller and John M, I was able to complete this mod in about 10 minutes (granted, I'm a nerd, and have done more than my share of wiring projects over the years), and replacing the factory fogs with Narva Gold caps in another 10 ( would have been less than 5, if I had thought about jacking the car up as I had to do the passenger's side with my non-dominant hand! Duh! ;) ) Thanks, guys!!!!!!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I assume this is using a similar light control to the imprezas...

-deleted-

edit: after reading like five times I understand this much:

For the fogs to be on the parking lights must be on. Does the fog light switch function normally during high/low/parking? With or without and indicator?

• 1 month later...

RoundBoy -

Start out with John M's version (see page 2) - and cross-reference with Deer Killer's original on the first post.

Trust me, a walk-through doesn't get any better than these two guys have put it. :)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

trdvibe - :) Trust me, he won't even know that you snipped a wire. :) This mod is about as straightforward as you can get, electronically. :)

j.reed - I skipped original mod5/pic5 (step4) due to legality with >4 lamps issues as I do a lot of out-of-state road-trips and the rather unlikely scenario of needing both the highs and the fogs for true lighting; using this as reference, since I am not certain exactly which "indicator" you mean, the dash indicator that the fogs are "on" works whenever the fogs are "on," and the fogs can be engaged any time the parking markers/indicators are "on," independent (as the thread title suggests) of the headlights.

-A

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i still haven't done this :(

i think John M's explains it better for me

so we need to get 2 vamps or T-taps right?

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

team23jordan -

Pick up pack of 5 or 10 - they're pretty cheap. :) Y ou'll want a few extras on-hand.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest *Jedimaster*
DK- forgot aobut this post and came across it at Scans007's pimpmyauto site. Printed it out at work yesterday (in color :D ) and did it tonight. After getting it all back together, I had no fog lights. I looked at the instructions again and knew I'd done everything according to you. Turned out I had a bad vampire tap that didn't connect the wires form the relay to the mirror area switch. It all works fine now, thanks to you. I appreciate your taking time to put this up- I love having my lights like this :cool:

DK- forgot aobut this post and came across it at Scans007's pimpmyauto site. Printed it out at work yesterday (in color :D ) and did it tonight. After getting it all back together, I had no fog lights. I looked at the instructions again and knew I'd done everything according to you. Turned out I had a bad vampire tap that didn't connect the wires form the relay to the mirror area switch. It all works fine now, thanks to you. I appreciate your taking time to put this up- I love having my lights like this :cool:
:) np

With vamp/T-taps, be sure to:

(1) Check that you're using the right-size tap for your purpose (the taps are color-coded, but if you can't read that code, there should be a sizing statement printed directly on the tap's box). If you're using a "side-by-side"(supply wire next to your tap wire) tap, you'll want to keep your wiring sizes either the same or similar.

(2a) Check that you've completely seated the tap on your power-supply wire.

(2b) If you have a "side-by-side" configuration, you should also check to see that the connection is also properly achieved on your tap wire, too.

(3) Check, if you have a "T"-type tap, that the connection spade (male end, usually on your tapped supply wire) is actually going into the connector female end on your tapped wire. Even if your taps are perfect, putting some insulation between the male and female connectors, by mistake, will still net you no tap! :D

How about just tapping the power from fogs to the parking lights? yea they will come on independatly but no they wont turn off by the stock fog light switch only by the main off and on for the parking lights, is this ok i did it with my 6 and my prior car never had a problem was wondering what you guys thought about it?
Mr.350

• 6 months later...
you can remove the blue/white wire from the relay block by using a small flat screw driver (from the front) to lift the locking tab right above the terminal so you don't have to cut the wire. then just use a small female spade connector to attach the new wire to the relay and run it through the relay block terminal hole. then if you have issue's from the dealer all you do is remove the tap in connection's & unplug the wire to the relay and plug the original wire back in.