LegacyGT.com

Fully independent fogs lights

Alright I finally got the mod done, but I'm convinced that there's some differences between the '05 that Moojohn worked on and my '07. First, there was the bolted hood release latch that I had to remove, which was a pain in the ass because the cable was right in the way... I ended up using an extended 10mm driver intended for a power drill attached to another socket going to a driver.

Second, I didn't see any write ups for completely detaching the plastic kick panel, which has a female end plug screwed into it so unless you take the whole assembly off you have to work around the kick panel.

Third, when putting the main plastic trim back under the sterring wheel, you have to make sure to get your fingers behind it and guide the plastic plenum for the footwell a/c tubing... I didn't realize this the first time and had a noticable bulge right in the middle of the bottom of the trim piece.

Oh well, all's well that ends well.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n41/tractorcrusher/SpecB/fogs.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody done this on an '08?

The wiring for the lights is different for '08s (the common DRL defeats don't work propery now).

So I'm looking at the wiring diagrams and trying to make sense of it all before I crawl under the dash.

Forgive my impertinence, but uust to make REALLY sure, Deerkiller:

1. I want to cut the blue/white wire coming out of B225 (Relay Block), running to B96 (DRL module).

2. I want to splice the same aforementioned blue/white wire with the violet wire coming out of i84 ("Body Integrated Unit," which you call the "mirror control/wiper heater assembly"), so that the Relay Block is directly connected to the Body Integrated Unit.

3. I want to connect the black and red/white wires running into B71 (Combination Switch, aka "left stalk switch").

BTW, black wires in Subarus are invariably ground wires. If I understand what you're doing, then you could connect the last red/white wire to ANY black wire anywhere in the car and it would work.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Ben

OK, I've done some more checking (I should have been an electrician), and I can't figure out how this works.

There's no violet wire ANYwhere in the 2005 wiring diagram for the headlight or foglight system... How did you guys decide to tap in to the purple wire?! I can see that there's a purple in the 2008 wiring diagram, but the wiring has changed enough from year to year that I doubt that it's the same purple wire you guys discovered.

I don't doubt that your mod worked on your cars, I just want it to work on my car, too. If you can tell me how you selected the purple wire, then I'll know what I'm looking for...

Ben

FWIW, this didn't work on my '08. I followed the directions to the letter, but it's no good... No independent fog lights, and no fogs with hi-beams.

Worse, with both this mod and the white DRL plug disconnected, I had NO fog lights at all. I'd rather have no DRLs than independent fogs, so I undid it.

If anybody can figure out how to do this on an '08 (and a better DRL disable than yanking the white plug), then I'd love to hear it.

Ben

I've got it figured out now.

The purple wires under the dash are all illumination of the dash. You can tap into ANY purple wire and this will work (it makes the fog light relay work when the dash lights are on).

Connecting the red/white wire to the black wire under the steering column basically jumps the fog light switch (red-white) straight to a ground (black) without letting anything (like a diode connected to the high beams) get in the way.

This didn't work for me because I somehow blew fuse #16 (interior lighting). Once I figured that out and replaced the fuse, it worked as it should.

Now, if I could only get the G-ddamned airbag light to go off now that I've killed the passenger airbag warning light...

Ben

why did you have to kill the passenger AB light? And why is the driver AB light turning on? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE BEN?!?!?!?
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

In my 2008, at least, the passenger air bag on/off lights are high up, in with the sunroof controls and the map lights. I found them distracting, especially at night.

Unplugging them seemed turn on the airbag idiot light in the gauge cluster, so I twisted the LEDs off the circuit board (this is how I killed the door chime: twisting the chime off the circuit board). Now I've got the idiot light on, anyways... :redface:

I'm fairly certain that the airbags are all working, anyway. The idiot light is seems set to come on if there's anything weird in any of the airbag wiring anywhere (my Outback has at least six airbags).

I'll figure this out...

Ben

My gosh Bimmer, not a tolerant or patient person are you?

I'm siding with sebberry on this one. Did you even think of putting a small strip of black tape on the back of the airbag icons in the maplight location instead of ripping out the LED??

You in the demolition business??

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

My gosh Bimmer, not a tolerant or patient person are you?

You in the demolition business??

I'm a historian. I educate America's youth to be the leaders of tomorrow...

These idiot lights piss me off, and I feel a great deal of satisfaction in breaking crap like this. Twisting the G-ddamned chime off the circuit board in a new car so that it NEVER chimes at me again is a kind of catharsis.

Anyway, I only thought of just covering the LEDs once the other airbag light came on... perhaps I was a bit rash.

Anyway, blobs of solder across the LED pins fixed it.

Merry merry merry,

Ben

PS: Wait until you see how I'm going to hack into the rear wiring harness of my Outback to install the Tribeca back up sensor system that my wife wants...

I'm a historian. I educate America's youth to be the leaders of tomorrow...

These idiot lights piss me off, and I feel a great deal of satisfaction in breaking crap like this. Twisting the G-ddamned chime off the circuit board in a new car so that it NEVER chimes at me again is a kind of catharsis.

Anyway, I only thought of just covering the LEDs once the other airbag light came on... perhaps I was a bit rash.

Anyway, blobs of solder across the LED pins fixed it.

Merry merry merry,

Ben

PS: Wait until you see how I'm going to hack into the rear wiring harness of my Outback to install the Tribeca back up sensor system that my wife wants...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/g8rauctioner/Subaru/random/bullchina.jpg

brute

I weep for the future of history.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/g8rauctioner/Subaru/random/bullchina.jpg

brute

I weep for the future of history.

HAHAHA...I for some reason welcome some "brutality" when it comes to educating the next generation. Too many children today lack the fortitude to be strong leaders and useful members of society.

*hops off soapbox*

what gauge wire did ya'll use for this?

I had some 16 gauge laying around. I think the original blue/white wire is smaller, maybe 18 gauge. The purple wires all over under the dash are much smaller, maybe 22 gauge. You could probably use something as small as the purple wire (22 gauge?) and be fine.

Ben

At least I usually make less mess in my courses than I did in the passenger airbag on/off light!

Ben

Well, I weep less now. Thank you.:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I finally got around to doing this last weekend and it went as smoothly as possible. Everything was exactly as pictured and i giot it done in about a half hour. I even included the no shut off when brights on part. It is as clean as can be and now I have my own control over the foglights like I prefer.

Thanks !!!

I guess it is time to become a donating member. After the holidays....

• 2 months later...
I just did this mod and it works the way i like. I didn't tap into any wires, i just made new connectors and relocated the relay so i didn't have to cut and splice. For the purple wire i used the other side of the connector i just plugged in the wire in and ran it to the bottom and made sure it wouldn't come lose. Secured the relay and put it all back together. I would've liked to take the blue and white wire out on the back side, but it was a PITA to get out so i just made new connectors and relocated the relay. If anyone knows how to get that connector out from the back side let me know, as i like to have all my wiring nice and neat. Thanks.

I just did this mod and it works the way i like. I didn't tap into any wires, i just made new connectors and relocated the relay so i didn't have to cut and splice. For the purple wire i used the other side of the connector i just plugged in the wire in and ran it to the bottom and made sure it wouldn't come lose. Secured the relay and put it all back together. I would've liked to take the blue and white wire out on the back side, but it was a PITA to get out so i just made new connectors and relocated the relay. If anyone knows how to get that connector out from the back side let me know, as i like to have all my wiring nice and neat. Thanks.

Got any pics of your handiwork?

Got any pics of your handiwork?

Sorry el5y, I don't have any pictures of it I didn't have my camera with me at the time. All you really need is just male and female blade connectors that are the same size as the ones on the relay, some hook up wire heat shrink for the ends near the connectors and some double stick tape to stick the relay to the relay block. I normally don't like to splice into wires or use the t-taps because it tends to cut into the tapped wire. For the blue connector I just stripped some wire and fed it in to the front side of the connector till its stuck and trimmed any excess so no wire was exposed. I then ran it along with the rest of the wires and secured it so it wouldn't come lose.

If anyone knows how to "unplug" the back side of the relay block for that one wire I can redo the whole thing and take pictures. i just like my wiring to look "factory" and hidden.

Sorry el5y, I don't have any pictures of it I didn't have my camera with me at the time. All you really need is just male and female blade connectors that are the same size as the ones on the relay, some hook up wire heat shrink for the ends near the connectors and some double stick tape to stick the relay to the relay block. I normally don't like to splice into wires or use the t-taps because it tends to cut into the tapped wire. For the blue connector I just stripped some wire and fed it in to the front side of the connector till its stuck and trimmed any excess so no wire was exposed. I then ran it along with the rest of the wires and secured it so it wouldn't come lose.

If anyone knows how to "unplug" the back side of the relay block for that one wire I can redo the whole thing and take pictures. i just like my wiring to look "factory" and hidden.

Thats the same reason I haven't done this mod yet.