LegacyGT.com

How many miles are on your 2nd gen Legacy?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I'm up to around 254k now. I drive a lot and put tons of miles on my car. I'm gonna add another 1500 or so this coming weekend. I've stopped caring how many miles my car has, it works great. That's all that matters.

Hello my "new to me" 97 Legacy w 2.2 has 143, 300 miles (80 by me). I drive 70 miles each day round trip and my other love, 2002 7.3 diesel was hitting the gas station too much. I saw that my neighbour bought a new car and the legacy was no longer sitting in driveway but moved to the street. I was told the legacy had a bad transmission. The owner was the original owner and was sad to see her go but didn't want to put any further money into her.

SO:

I purchased the legacy for $640...THAT'S RIGHT..!!!

Spent all night doing research on this form and YouTube....

Discovered the problem was "torque binding"

Changed both diff fluids and tranny fluid.....

Got dizzy doing the 20 circles in each direction!

Now the legacy is my daily driver!!!

Runs well and shifts well. THANKS FORUM.!!!

-Next will change timing belt and maybe later headgaskets as a preventative measures.

Just turned over 79K on my 98 - really starting to add to the miles... NOT. I'm sure the bigger tires are adding miles faster than the stock wheels/tires would, so it's probably only like 73-75K actual.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So I thought until I did the revs per miles...

No, he's right. Larger outer-diameter tires would add less "mileage" to your vehicle. A larger outer diameter leads to fewer rotations over a given distance. This means your tires, drive-train and engine will all be rotating more slowly for the same given speed, leading to "less" wear and tear and a lower "observed" mileage, where, in reality, your actual mileage will be higher than what is shown on your odometer. If you engine is reeving higher than normal, that might, if anything, be a result of the fact that larger tires create more work for the engine, and it might actually have to rev higher to maintain speed, though I wouldn't think a slightly larger diameter should exhibit that problem while cruising at speed.

If it's confusing to think about, just do what I do and exaggerate the problem. Imagine putting a tire on your car the size of your house. This larger diameter tire would only require a few revolutions to travel a mile. Larger diameter = slower rotation.

Edited by Stang70Fastback

It doesn't matter what size tires your car has. You'll still have the same speed to RPM ratio on the gauges. Since the RPM is taken at the engine and the speed is taken from inside the transmission (front diff on an auto, output shaft on a manual), the tire size doesn't effect what the gauges read.

Think of it this way. If you put your car up on jack stands and put it in gear, the speed to RPM ratio will still be the same, right? Being in the air isn't going to change that. This isn't an old fashioned car where speed is taken from a cable on the LF wheel (hello old VW beetle). In the air it doesn't matter what size the tires are (or if they're even bolted on). It will still have the same ratios on the gauges.

With bigger tires it takes less RPMs at the wheel to go the same speed, so as everyone has said. You'll be going faster than your gauge says.

On an on topic note. My car turned over 254k miles on my weekend roadtrip. Still doing fantastic. Wondering how long the auto tranny is gonna live... but it seems to be doing well.

I posted last week I bought the car for $640, with 1433xx, then right after that heard a loud noise. Thought it was HLAs. Removed two drive belts and saw the bottom of tensioner pulley poking out from plastic timing belt guard, as well as part of timing belt. Oh well, thanks to this forum and subarupartsforyou.com she should be back up this week. The subaru will rise again.....I'll keep racking up the miles.....looking for 300k