LegacyGT.com

How many miles are on your 2nd gen Legacy?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still running strong. Still have that 1-2 lurch, and the 2-3 delay, but since it's been like that for like 50k it's nothing I'm concerned about. It'll blow up eventually. It has to. It's actually worrisome that it's still the original tranny because I know it could go at any time, lol.

Sounds about like my 98 legacy, I'm not too many miles behind you. Only shifts hard 1-2 when I'm going slow, like in a parking lot. Accelerating from a stop it's almost not noticeable. 2-3 is decently solid.

Thing about the automatic transmission, it's not going to just stop working and leave you stranded. It might start acting up really bad, but not bad enough you can't put a thousand miles to drag your butt home from your vacation.

Worst case it goes into limp mode, 3rd gear only, full center diff lock. Sucks to drive, but it get's you home.

Sometimes gears go missing, etc. But generally still drivable for a little while.

Texas, how's your timing belt?

All new. Just rebuilt the old EJ25D for the last time. I've got to catch up with a ton of body work exterior and interior before I decide to make any real moves to buy a new engine. I got sort of tired of my car looking dated. 2012 will be a generous year for the ole Lego!

I feel like these cars still look good for their age. No one thinks my car is a 1998!

This is very true. They just don't look like an old car, much less a boring and stupidly styled 90's car. I remember seeing some second gen GT's in my area for a while before I actually gave a crap about Subaru's, and actually wanted one because I thought that they looked really cool!

I feel like these cars still look good for their age. No one thinks my car is a 1998! So you rebuilt? New head gaskets and all? I've been for a while so I'm not up to date on everyone's projects!

Not much has changed. Broke just has an outback now. I still have the wagon and now plans to boost it.

I feel like these cars still look good for their age. No one thinks my car is a 1998! So you rebuilt? New head gaskets and all? I've been for a while so I'm not up to date on everyone's projects!

I think the second gen is still the best looking legacy.

Mine has 142k.

I was impressed with how well the car rides and how quiet it is inside for a 98 with high miles.

The 2nd gen looks way ahead of the 90's, it passes as a nice modern car.

All new. Just rebuilt the old EJ25D for the last time. I've got to catch up with a ton of body work exterior and interior before I decide to make any real moves to buy a new engine. I got sort of tired of my car looking dated. 2012 will be a generous year for the ole Lego!

Did you do a full blown rebuild, bearings, rings, hone, etc, etc?

I want to do this to my 25D block that has rod knock. These engines have stupidly weak bearings, aggravated by the fact people overheat them because of headgasket problems. That's how mine died, and why I got it so cheap.

When I first got my GT I didn't know what it was lol my dad just said Merry Christmas this is your car! And I've had her for just a little over 4 years now. These 2nd gen GTs are the cars that I'm truly happy to own, even if there is a head gasket issue! I think the styling is great and I think the interior is functional (excluding the cup holder) and comfortable with overall pretty good fit and finish. Lots of soft touch materials everywhere, none of this hard plastic stuff.

When I first got my GT I didn't know what it was lol my dad just said Merry Christmas this is your car! And I've had her for just a little over 4 years now. These 2nd gen GTs are the cars that I'm truly happy to own, even if there is a head gasket issue! I think the styling is great and I think the interior is functional (excluding the cup holder) and comfortable with overall pretty good fit and finish. Lots of soft touch materials everywhere, none of this hard plastic stuff.

I'm a complete gear head, yet I didn't know anything about Subaru's (especially my second gen) until I was actually given the car by my friends dad. Then, I slowly discovered the awesomeness. My car has held up SO much better than I could have ever imagined. I even drove around for about 4 months with blown head gaskets before I finally replaced them. I also completely agree with what you say about the styling and build quality, inside and out. Also, for what it is, it is such a smooth riding comfortable car and is surprisingly quiet inside at speed.

The cup holder is the most tragic example of poor engineering.

THIS, although I prefer it's placement over a center console location. I would alway knock a drink over if that was the case. Plus, it looks cleaner in it's design.

I'm a complete gear head, yet I didn't know anything about Subaru's (especially my second gen) until I was actually given the car by my friends dad. Then, I slowly discovered the awesomeness. My car has held up SO much better than I could have ever imagined. I even drove around for about 4 months with blown head gaskets before I finally replaced them. I also completely agree with what you say about the styling and build quality, inside and out. Also, for what it is, it is such a smooth riding comfortable car and is surprisingly quiet inside at speed.

THIS, although I prefer it's placement over a center console location. I would alway knock a drink over if that was the case. Plus, it looks cleaner in it's design.

I'd prefer center console cup holders. I've been thinking of ways to make one, but there isn't much room there.

When people who aren't even car people get in my LGT limited with it's black leather interior they say what a nice looking car it is. And are surprised when it's 14 years old.

I like it better when people get into my 89 GL woods/rally beater. It's in awful shape, rattles, shakes, bumps all over the place. It's dusty nasty and drity. It makes people not bum rides off me. My girlfriend hates it.

I always wanted a subaru I just never could afford the one I wanted. In 01 I really wanted a Impreza RS but they were pricey. If you search craigslist, subarus seem to last longer then most other brands.

One thing I defintely liked about my Jetta was that the cup holders were in the console. It was nice to finally have cup holders that were more usable!

On the Subie I just got the drivers front wheel bearing done and new front struts, it drives so much better! And my steering wheel doesn't shake over bumps anymore. I'm so satisfied with this car right now. It goes into the shop next Thursday to get ALL the fluids changed then I'm hoping I won't have to do anything but oil changes for the next 30k.

JJ, I've always wanted to get a 2000 or 2001 Impreza RS 2 door 5 speed. I've seen them come up on Craigslist but I never have the means to buy it when it is on there.

If you buy an 05 LGT, budget for a new engine...

My friend bought one from a dealer. Low mileage. The engine blow up 3 days into owning it. I have 4 other friends, and a bunch of people on a local board have theirs blow up.

A tip on these. The turbos fail, then turbo is replaced, then a few thousand miles later the engine blows up. People know this. So if you're looking at one and the seller says "the turbo blew, and another one was installed 2 weeks ago". RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.

What's funny is that most people assume (rightfully) that we only say good things about our cars because we own them. It's only when someone actually spends some time in it that they realize what we're on about. The second generation has a lot going for it. The styling is nice, yet not overstated. That means a car that doesn't necessarily look crazy futuristic, but also won't look crazy dated in the future. Our cars still look fine. They definitely don't look quite as old as other cars from the same years.

The vehicles themselves are well put together. On that there is no arguing. You can ask any mechanic, any tow operator... anyone who would have any sort of intelligent, informed opinion and they will agree. There is no arguing that they are reliable. A good example of that would be how much value they hold. My shitty Civic-owning friend refused to believe my car was worth more than 1500 on KBB. He was shocked to see it listed for 4k in excellent shape.

Lastly, they actually are very well appointed. It's not that all the panels fit perfectly, or that the entire interior is lined in Alcantra. However, the fit and finish isn't any worse than more modern GM vehicles (a horrible benchmark, I know.) In addition, they have quite a few features that will surprise people. When people first get in my car, half the time the first thing they say is, "Oh, leather. Nice! And two moonroofs!" to which I reply, "Yup! And heated seats, and heated mirrors, and heated wipers..."

And perhaps that's what I like most about these cars. They are understated. Inconspicuous. People might not think much about them. They aren't showy or obnoxious. People don't know they are nice cars. I kind of like that.