LegacyGT.com

HELP--Please- 97 Legacy GT headlights issue

HI folks ,

my wife has a 97 Legacy GT we've replaced the HEADLIGHTs with factory headlights and they are as bad as the ones we replaced.

Re: the originals, We were told to clean the lenses and we did so with maybe a 10-20% improvement.

Does anyone know of better quality headlight units that actually provide bright headlights. We live in the mountains and need decent lights.

I have a 2005 Forester and the headlight are literally twice as bright.

Anyone else have issues like this.:confused:

any ideas are greatly appreciated

THANKS

thank you,

sorry to be so ignorant,,,,,,

but,, I'm not familiar with these items,

--HID'S , depo replacement, or JDM projectors.

cost is a factor, what do think would be most economical?

the replacement units I got were standard,,,from AUTOPARTSWAREHOUSE

I think for the money the JDM Projector headlights are the best for light output and easy to install. You can expect to pay 180-200 shipped unless you find a good deal. You can google JDM and select your model on ebay. These lights fit a 95-99 Legacy. Here is a picture of the ones I have. I will get you a pic later on of them installed.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/httrdd/utf-8BSU1HMDAwODYtMjAxMDAyMDUtMDkyM.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The best headlights you can get for your car are called Morettes. They are very difficult to find. They were made in France but I believe they are not made anymore. They are a quad light setup with a "city" light if you hook up the wiring.

Here is a link so you can see what they look like: http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3435

If you can find the lights, they usually sell for about $500 to $550 used. I know where a used set is available. If you're interested in them, send me a PM and I can answer your questions.

I would go with JDM projectors like httrdd said, 200 bucks to your door from ebay if you type in "subaru legacy jdm" some will pop up in the seach. HID kits are pretty simple if you know what to do and can put out twice the light as any halogen. You can pick these up for 100-120 one ebay, as well and thier mainly plug and play.

How clear are you headlights you have now? can you see clearly inside of them?

Hid is the way to go with jdm projector housing. I have them and I love it. I have hid low beams, high beams and fog lights. I never really need the high beams on. You will be able to see better than ever. It's worth the safety!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd104/thrty5thsc/photo-24.jpg

If you go the HID route, please please please for the sake of other people on the road have someone that is familiar with HID's at least help you with the install. Improperly installed HID's are horrible on other drivers. Not only do they have to be leveled & aimed correctly the beam pattern needs to be set correctly as well. Sure you might think you can toss in a set of $100 ebay HID's and see better but all you're actually doing is blinding other drivers. If the light isn't pointing to where you need it the most, it's useless. Besides do you really want to look like the kid in the clapped out Honda with $100 ebay HIDs bouncing down the road blinding everybody?

Personally, I'd wet sand and polish what you have, kits can be bought at any auto parts store. Make sure you put some serious elbow grease into it. Then buy some Silvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs. Probably $60 + time & effort total.

If that doesn't work then buy some real JDM Subaru projector headlight housings. I'd still put Silverstar bulbs in those. Don't bother with $100 ebay anything. It's junk. Plain and simple. You're looking at $200 - 250 there.

the other night my second night of driving i actually got some jerks headlights burnt into my eyes,,

we both were turning but with his hids so bright i couldnt see his turn signal and i dont even think he could see mine because we hesitated because i couldnt tell he was turning and I think it was so bright he couldnt see my signal light.

So if your gonna do it do it properly, because if everyone does them improperly it should be illegal

the other night my second night of driving i actually got some jerks headlights burnt into my eyes,,

we both were turning but with his hids so bright i couldnt see his turn signal and i dont even think he could see mine because we hesitated because i couldnt tell he was turning and I think it was so bright he couldnt see my signal light.

So if your gonna do it do it properly, because if everyone does them improperly it should be illegal

:whore:

I did mine properly with LHD projectors from a Merc E-series.

This is a write up I wrote :)

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6311

http://www.jay-d.com/marv/images/hid/hidretrofit22.jpg

Personally, I'd wet sand and polish what you have, kits can be bought at any auto parts store. Make sure you put some serious elbow grease into it. Then buy some Silvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs. Probably $60 + time & effort total.

I agree with everything said except for the part listed above ^.

Sylvania Silverstars are the worst bulbs ever made IMO. They constantly die and simply aren't worth the price paid. However, Osram Silverstars (the one's not sold in the US) are quite the contrary.

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954736

Good advice here. You need a projector lens for hid's. There are some good videos on you tube about it. They talk about about the right type of housing for them. A us housing is not good for hid bulbs. You will blind everyone. I have had silverstar bulbs in my Concorde for over a year now with no problems. Maybe I just got a good batch. 9006's and 9005's.

I have the regular lights and I can see pretty well. My dad adjusted them so they point up a little more so I can see further. Sure I get cars that flash their brights at me once in a while because of it but I can see a lot better!

I just put these in my 96 Legacy L

Name Code Qty Each Options

------------------------------------------------------------

H4 - HB2 - 9003 bulbs: 48861 2 17.00

Narva RangePower+50 Ultra

High Output 60/55w H4

Bulb

Subtotal 34.00

Shipping 7.43

Tax 0.00

Total 41.43

They are from Candlepower. They replaced Osrams. Much better and whiter light. Not as good as HID but better than stock. They do not have any goofy blue coating, just pure white light. Here is the link to Candlepower.

http://store.candlepower.com/houpbuthno.html

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived