LegacyGT.com

GMS New turbo inlet and afta maf?

integroid

So I was looking around for a turbo inlet for a buddy of mine when I came across the new GMS inlet. Talked to Josh at importimage and he was explaining to me how the new GMS stuff has a wire reinforcement and you cannot crush them. Same goes from the aftmaf they have. The only other silicone turbo inlet that I have seen that is reinforced is the AVO inlet at twice the price. Theya re only available in 2.4" right now but said there might be a 3" version out if there is demand for it.

http://www.importimageracing.com/p/gimmick-motorsports-Turbo-Inlet-Hose-wrx-sti.html

• 2 months later...

im usually online 830am to midnight...

anyway the perrin is alot more $, also perrin hardly ever has them in stock. i know someone who has about 150 of each inlet in stock...

most of the time when you need a turbo inlet, its not something you have time to wait around for.

• 1 month later...

My GMS inlet review -

Installation

I installed mine at my friends shop last night. I would consider it a pretty difficult install. I was ready to give up but my friend Barrett at AllWheelsDriven made it work. We had to remove the bolts from my TGV housings to loosen the intake to get it to go on. We also lubed the crap out of it and it took 3 sets of hands to get it on the turbo. Me pushing on the intake end, Barrett working a pick at the turbo end, and another guy with a long screwdriver prying the turbo end of the inlet toward the passenger side. Like someone said earlier in the thread, a little jog at the turbo end of the inlet (ala Samco) would make install much easier.

I popped the metal collar out of the end of the stock inlet and put it in the inlet side of the coupler between the inlet and intake so I could clamp the GMS onto the coupler. Wasn't expecting to have to do that but it worked fine.

FWIW, Barrett said the install would be easier with a stock turbo. My 18g has a longer inlet area that has a small lip on the end. He thinks that's part of the reason why it was such a bear to slide it on.

In the end it took 4 hours + for the install.

Aftermath

This inlet isn't working out on my car. And neither the vendor or GMS will do anything about it.

This is what I found when I went to show the inlet to a friend the day after the 4 hour + installation struggle (which included unbolting my intake, and 3 sets of hands to get it into place).

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/IMG_2933.jpg

Now look at how the inlet fits on the opposite (drivers) side of the turbo.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/IMG_2937.jpg

Notice how it's as far as it can go onto the turbo? Sure seems like if the inlet had the jog to the passenger side at the turbo end like the Perrin and Samco do, it would fit my car properly.

GMS claims it's because my car doesn't have a stock turbo (although he won't communicate with me). Strange that my turbo is a stock location turbo that worked with a stock location TMIC. Strange that my OEM inlet hose fit on this turbo. Very strange indeed.

I feel like I am being left high and dry in this situation.

Josh says that he's not the manufacturer so it's not his problem. And he doesn't accept returns on used products. He referred me to Nino at GMS. Nino has received my emails and a voice mail, and hasn't responded. Not that it really matters because I get the feeling he isn't going to help me either.

The manufacturer and seller claim the inlet can be installed without removing the intake manifold (in around an hour), so that's what we tried to do. If I do end up removing my manifold to install an inlet, it won't be this one. I still don't think the fitment would be great, and I'm over having anything that says GMS on my car.

Perrin and AVO say you can install theirs in about 30 minutes with no removal of manifold too. I call BS. Trust me any inlet is easier with the manifold off.

I can get my AP (hard pipe) inlet in without removing the manifold but it is easier with it out. Plus I installed it the first time with the manifold off and plumbed it for removal and reinstall.

Like I said I made sure to set it up for removal and reinstall. If not no way, no how. I have never been able to install an inlet (the first time) without at least lifting the manifold some. Not all the way off, but disconnected from the TGV's and lifted up.

I'm considering going back to an OEM inlet because of cost and availability. My original OEM inlet had a couple pinholes in it from turbo R&I. I would use a shielded worm clamp or t-bolt to prevent this on a new inlet.

Thoughts?

The OEM inlet just seems to dry out/rot over time. If you get a new one and do not use the worm gear from the beginning I think this would help quiet a bit.

In my experience it is not installing the turbo that tears the inlet. It is simply releasing the worm gear and finding the tear under the clamp that has never been released before.

A t-bolt is far superior to a worm gear.

I ordered a new OEM. I won't be using a regular worm clamp on the turbo connection. Either shielded or a t-bolt. I need to find one that is narrow enough though.

Jarrad at PDX says people over-tighten that clamp and that is a big reason why they fail. He said rule of thumb is tighten it until you can't turn it by hand.

this is true the oem's wear out. its interesting that i have sold about 100 of these and only 1 guy had an issue. glad everyone else is happy :)

That is BS, Josh. What about the other folks on NASIOC that have had the exact same issue as I did?

There is a thread about it in the parts review section, and I know that you know about it because you have posted in it. :rolleyes:

Archived