LegacyGT.com

NPT vs NPTF for sensor bungs, plugs, etc

ClimberDHexMods

So I get the difference between NPT (straight threading) and NPTF (tapered threading), but I am wondering which ones to pick for what application.

For instance, I have a loooonnngg pyrometer sensor, like 4", and so I am piecing together a McMaster shopping list of a threaded nipple and coupler to move out the bung a couple inches.

Is there a rule where I should buy one or the other to go into a 1/8npt header bung if I am using a threaded nipple and/or threaded coupler?

If I want to plug an exhaust bung, should I use a straight threaded plug or tapered threaded plug?

Thank you in advance for lending some knowledge of this!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

:lol:

NPT threads are not straight

The NPTF threads are supposed to be leak free without sealant, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that one.

Use either one and thread sealer.

Oh Goodness, I can't read, clear as day just like you said second time through: http://www.mcmaster.com/param/html/MetalConnections/

Thanks!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived