LegacyGT.com

Post blown turbo and oil recommendations help

Hello everyone, thank you in advance for any recommendations.

I own a 2006 Legacy GT Spec B, 48500, lost the turbo with a sound like marbles rolling around in the engine (bearing failure I am assuming). Dealer replaced the turbo under warranty. I drove the car about 15 miles to get it home under choked power, then towed it to the dealer. After getting the car back I asked about metal shavings in the oil pan, svc manager stated that nothing unusual was found, but he recommended a early oil change just to be careful in 500-1000 miles. 3 questions:

1: What oil brand should I use going forward? I was running premium quality dino juice previously, but now think its time for synthetic. I don't care about the price, I want the best available to protect the turbo and motor in general.

2: People in another large thread on this board

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83047 many people are talking about engines failing soon after driving with a turbo failure due to metal blocking the oil cooler. Dealer price for replacement of the cooler was $360. Should I do this even though the engine feels perfect at the moment?

3: The filtered banjo bolt that feeds the oil to the turbo. How often should it be inspected and replaced?

I love this car and I want to keep it a while. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a new motor. Advice to a new member is greatly appreciated.

I would just get the extended service oil plan from your dealer. (should be able to buy a year of oil changes) that way they will do regular checkings for you, rather than waiting till the last second, or not knowing whats going on.

If you have the money for the replacement, i would do it.

The banjo bolt? it shouldnt need to be replaced anytime soon but you should have it inspected with every oil change probably.

You really don't need to inspect the banjo bolt if you change your oil regularly (3,000 miles). Especially if you use synthetic, it has detergents and additives that keep your oil from breaking down, etc. which is what causes the banjo bolt to fail. I use Mobil 1 5w/30 and am happy with it.

I will try to help you with actual accurate answers to your questions, even though it is hopeless :lol:

:hide:

1. It doesn't matter. Use an oil which meets the specifications set out in the owner's manual and change it as set out in the owner's manual. A synthetic or any other type of magical oil will not make ANY difference.

2. The cooler should at least be removed and cleaned out - this will not be as expensive as replacing it.

3. BOTH (the one by the turbo and the one by the battery need to be inspected and repalced or discarded if they show any contamination.

The reason that #2 and 3 are important is that when the turbo went it likely sent metal pieces into the oil system, where most of them were caught by the oil filter (no matter what brand filter was used ;) ) or the banjo filters. If the banjo filters are blocked they will limit the oil supply to the turbo which will damage it - regardless of what typr of oil is being used. If the oil cooler is blocked or particles are trapped either the flow to the engine will be limited or the particles willl be released into the system, neither of which is good.

Items 2 and 3 should have been done AT THE SAME TIME that the turbo was replaced.

Subaru also has a service bulletin regarding that exact problem and it says to remove the screen filters from the banjo bolt. They definitely should have cleaned the oil cooler and lines, but I used to work at a dealership and things like that didn't really get done.

Archived