LegacyGT.com

Modifying OEM head unit for un-eq’d line out

utc_pyro

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Enough demand that one or two people would actually build the kit and get some long term enjoymant out of it. Something to justify ~8 hours of work designing it (or more depending on added features) and having a few fabbed. Probably 6 people to make it cost effective for whowever puts out to make the boards.

^ +1... if depopulating is easier, just do that... and save the price that way.

Frankly, for $40 (your target price right now) it seems pointless to get a sub-only board (even thought that's probably what I'd use it for, as well) A depop might save you the cost and allow you to sell it for like $20? That would be a decent price break, but certainly not worth any extra engineering time for a new board, IMO.

Good point. The PCB is the most expensive part of all this, so if it's all the same it'll be cheaper. I was thinking I might get some extra functionality onto the 2-channel board (low pass & subsonic filters) , but it's probably not worth it as most people's amps can handle that. Not to mention those reduce the "extra cheap simple" aspect of it.

Just a note to any one finding this later: A PCB that will fit on the radio-can inside the head unit needs to be less then 7cm x 3cm.

Edit:

What its the highest roll off frequency that you all think is appropriate for the V2 (cheap) board? -3db at 10hz? 15hz?

• 2 weeks later...
Can't wait!

I cant ether but they still haven't shipped the boards! They werent kidding when they said 12 businesses days. I wouldn't be surprised if they outsourced the cheap boards to china. :spin:

Oh, V2 boards are now going to be surface mount... I'm converting a convection oven to a reflow oven, so might as well make it easier on every one by pre-fabbing them. Parts will be cheaper, and it gives us access to some better op-amps.

Sorry for taking so long to get an update, I've been extremely busy between work, my class, the TCU hacking project, and find a way to get down to the next shuttle launch...

Who did you use to manufacture the boards for you?

The boards were made by Pad2Pad. I'm happy with the boards, but the software sucks.

is this a 4-channel, 4.1 Channel, or 2-channel solution?

when do you anticipate boards being available?

The V1 boards are 4-channel with the option to depop (not install some of the parts). There is no point having a ".1" in car audio as you can just use Y-Cables and set the crossover in your sub-amp to filter how you want. The V2 boards may be 4-channel only as I'm wanting to do a small production run on them. I want to build a reflow oven to do some other projects, and a surface mount depop wont save as much. Expect early June for the V2 boards, or if you really need one NOW pm me on a V1 board.

Components were ordered over the weekend, and should be here soon.

Also, I kind of messed up on the boards.... As I used 5mm spacing on the audio path caps expecting to use all Poylester caps, but it's hard to find 10uf ones that will fit. Thus the output is now Electrolitic, but the best ones would not fit. Thus I had to sub in 4.7uf caps designed for crossovers.... This will be fixed on the V2 boards of course. Same with the bypass caps on the opamps, wrong size for what's available out there.

Any way... Parts for 4 boards will be here soon, I'll be keeping one (the more advanced one). If some one can get me a HK unit to investigate (after I get my '08 radio working) I'll install one at cost in it and ship it back.

Parts are in! I'll post up results when I can (might be a few days due to drama of my fault).

Still have two boards up for grabs (one for an HK radio user, one for any one). PM me inf interested. I can do them as board + components @ cost are you're a "beta tester" or assemble them for a little extra.

First board done and installed. Just have to wait until tomorrow to test it (it's late, have work). Also note to any one buying from Mouser: DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPEST RESISTORS. They might be half the price, but they do not have standard makings.

I don't have any nice test equipment at the moment, but I should be able to get some idea of the performance through the USB sound card and my newer laptop.

boardmod_power.thumb.jpg.c70f92ca19d327a2f328e36205d76c65.jpg

boardmod_signal.thumb.jpg.216230fa60f6663ec528f3c8d51f8eea.jpg

P5100327.thumb.jpg.c6ffec91174d9e5b7673f7c06bfb5baf.jpg

P5100326.thumb.jpg.f3341419d345ee35e8ff2a220a59814d.jpg

Wow, looks good. I must confess I am a little terrified now looking at those solder points on the radio. Can you recommend what equipment I will need to accomplish the task when I get mine?

Thanks again for doing this, awesome work!!

-Jason

Archived